Maxxis Maxxcross IT vs Dunlop D952 comparison for interested people!

Well, this all started from an arguement I had with a buddy over what tires were the best. He is a Dunlop D952 fan, and you could not take away my Maxxis Maxxcross IT rear for anything else. You can keep the IT front.

I got the Maxxis IT's on the fact that every one here raves on about them. Who was the one that said the IT front tire was good? They deserve a good whooping!

Anyway, long story short, we both got new tires mounted, myself with the IT and my buddy with the 952. We both use the same gearing (14/50) and 120 size, so we decided to swap rear tires. Keeping things consistant, we tried a few different tire pressures, but we both liked and settled on 12 psi.

The first thing I really noticed was that the 952 would really hook up! I thought my IT was great, but this tire rocks!

I feel out performed the IT everywhere except the real hard rock and shale stuff. I put this down to the IT having shorter knobs and closer spacings than the 952.

The 952 is the master of sand, gravel, mud, but squirms around a bit on hard rock and shale. The IT is better on the hard rock and shale, but If this is all I rode, I wouldn't be using an IT anyway.

The wear of both rear tires for the day was the same - none. :bonk:

I have found the Maxxis IT front really crap, so I have been running the SI front. Way better than the IT. This thing actually grips. My buddy has the 952 front so we decided to swap front wheels too. Just by looking at it, you could tell it was going to be better.

In the first 5 minutes, my buddy had a fit and demanded his front tire back!

I can see why! The 952 is a lot more aggressive than the SI front, again with longer knobs and more of them to provide better bite.

At the end of the day, my next rear tire is going to be a Dunlop D952. Definately worth the extra $10 for the increased grip with the same wear as the IT.

I already went out and got the 952 front tire on my bike. :excuseme:

I just have to wear out the rear, but as you know, that could take some time.

So, if you ride mostly rock and shale, stick to the Maxxis IT. Either that or try a trials tire! If you ride anything else, go the Dunlop 952. You won't regret it! :busted:

Crap, I was debating between the 952 and the MaxxCross SI front for my 06 and went with the Maxxis, hopefully I won't be disappointed! I ran a MaxxCross HT rear on my old 426 and really liked it, but it sounds like I may have to give the 952 a try sometime in the near future. Thanks for the post! :excuseme:

I put a Dunlop 952 on the rear of my bike, before spending last week in Nevada riding with friends. At the recommendation of my dealer, though, I put a new Dunlop 742 on the front.

Was very pleased with both. The 952 rear replaced the 756 which came with my bike...slipped a little more on hard packed surfaces but overall I was very pleased. The 742 in the front worked absolutely great.

Anyone tried the 952 on hard surface`s, as pavement? Wondering how durable it is vs the maxxis..

My maxxis seems to last and last, 50% wear on 800km now, wich i find impressive considering i dualsport it...

Now and again...... Pavement definately hardest on tyres.

I get about 1600kms out of my 952 rear but I change tyres when they are at about 1/4 to 1/5 knob height. I like my grip!

I have never got one to chunk yet, that includes the front. Lots of wheelies kill front tyres!

there is nothing that is good off road that i know of will out last the IT front or rear for dual sporting your WR. i ride 33% pavement, 33% trail, and 33% dirt road. I'm sold on the IT!! they last 2-3x what other tires do. and they work well when 1/2 bald. some don't!

How does the 952 compare to the 756 in traction and wear? I have the 756 on the rear right now and a 739 on the front. I have no complaints about traction, bike hooks up very good. I am going to need a replacement in the next month or so and am torn to try something new or keep what is working.

I'm sponsored by Maxxis and still run Michelin's. :bonk:

I don't know what terrain all you guys are running and a lot of you seem concerned about tread life but if tread life is not a huge concern and you don't ride primarily desert....... there is nothing, I repeat, nothing more effective in putting your WR's power to the ground like a Michelin S-12. :excuseme:

Just my 02. cents.

I have a set of Desert IT's that I keep for a weeks worth of Desert Riding each year, I think though that I am going to start a fire this year with the front and go back to a Dun front for the Desert. My sponsorship is fairly new and when my Michelin's need replacing I will probably tryout a set of SI's. Can anyone tell me if the MAxxis "Surcross" is the same as the SI? I heard someone mention that as being Maxxis' softest tire.......

there is nothing that is good off road that i know of will out last the IT front or rear for dual sporting your WR. i ride 33% pavement, 33% trail, and 33% dirt road. I'm sold on the IT!! they last 2-3x what other tires do. and they work well when 1/2 bald. some don't!

I think the 952 might! :excuseme:

I ride a lot more dirt road than you, but there is really one way to find out!!!!

You tried 952's? I haven't tried the Maxxis, don't really want to either!

hey has anybody tryed the metzler m-5 intermedate tire its really inexpensive and lasts a long time.

They don't last as long but grip is truely awesome! They are hard to get a hold of here in Australia, but yes, great tyre. :excuseme:

How does the 952 compare to the 756 in traction and wear? I have the 756 on the rear right now and a 739 on the front. I have no complaints about traction, bike hooks up very good. I am going to need a replacement in the next month or so and am torn to try something new or keep what is working.

I'm also looking to ditch the stockers and was wondering the same thing... how do the 952's compare?

:excuseme: