Maxxis Maxxcross IT vs Dunlop D952 comparison for interested people!

I recently replaced my Dunlop 739's for a Maxxis IT for the rear and the Si on the front as recommended in this Forum. I ride in Michigan Intermediate to soft trails. The 739's I was told were junk and and I can now confirm this myself from my riding experience. I was riding single track trails and was going into corners hotter than I should have trying to stay in front of my buddies 525EXC and more then once thought I lade it down to far but those Maxxis gripped and pulled me back up. Riding in open soft sand is much improved as well.

For what its worth, that is what I experienced.

The debate rages on in my head. I haven't read about anyone who has used the 952 on pavement for extended use but one guy on this thread has used the Maxxis with great results. Barring his experience it sounds like the 952 is the hands down favorite but his situations is very similar to mine.

I'm moving to Mexico later this year and will do a lot of beach riding along with quite a bit of riding around town to run errands or just to get out of town where the open beaches are. The 952 sounds like the better all around tire but that's coming from guys who don't use it a lot on pavement. The common comment I here is that the 952 's one weakness is that it's more slippery on hard surfaces and I assume this would include the road.

However, when I look at the tread pattern the 952's lugs (atleast the long row) are almost in the shape of a paddle tire and the rows are more spread out which is better for sand so brings me back to that being the better tire. What are your guys thoughts for my situation?

Also, which front would be better for my street/sand situation?

Also, do I want to go to the wider 120/100x18 for the sand or is wider not better for motorcycles. I know from driving a jeep on the beach that the wider tires float over the sand better.

red7, if you are riding in SAND SAND, like going to the dunes,....your best bet is to have a paddle tire.

aside from that, im not a big fan of 120 tires, because of the increase in unsprung weight. i felt that it made my back end suspension feel harsh. Also, a noticable difference in the SNAP of the accelleration.

The common comment I here is that the 952 's one weakness is that it's more slippery on hard surfaces and I assume this would include the road.

Any tire works good on the road. Any tire grips like anything on the road.

The road is anything but slippery. Why would you think that roads are slippery?

Roads are the grippiest thing you could ever ride on. There is no loose stuff, and it has no give. :excuseme:

red7, if you are riding in SAND SAND, like going to the dunes,....your best bet is to have a paddle tire.

aside from that, im not a big fan of 120 tires, because of the increase in unsprung weight. i felt that it made my back end suspension feel harsh. Also, a noticable difference in the SNAP of the accelleration.

Is your bike down on power? :excuseme:

Any tire works good on the road. Any tire grips like anything on the road.

The road is anything but slippery. Why would you think that roads are slippery?

Roads are the grippiest thing you could ever ride on. There is no loose stuff, and it has no give. :excuseme:

I've just heard that dirt bike tires are quite a bit more slippery on the streets than my roadstar for instance. I heard this is even more exaggerated on wet roads and the place I'm moving is a tropical environment hence my question.

So I gather from your response that there is zero difference between any of the dirt tires on the road???? I find that hard to believe.

Yeah but I don't think the paddle tire would be all that great cruising around town on. In addition to wanting to be able to ride it around town, I'd also usually ride streets to the beach so I'm trying to find something that will work in both situations.

I've just heard that dirt bike tires are quite a bit more slippery on the streets than my roadstar for instance. I heard this is even more exaggerated on wet roads and the place I'm moving is a tropical environment hence my question.

So I gather from your response that there is zero difference between any of the dirt tires on the road???? I find that hard to believe.

I am saying that dirtbike tyres work better on the road than their intended terrain range.

I would say that all mx tyres would perform the same on the road, but the hard pack tyres would give less vibration.

A dual purpose tyre like a Dunlop 606 will work better than a Dunlop 952 on the road, but I have tried both, not a big difference at all in grip, only vibration.

The only worry is when you take that Dunlop 606 off road. There is not much grip at all.

Both tyres last about the same, which one would you use?

I live in the "definition" of tropics. Have you ever heard of Kakadu in the Northern Territory, Australia? That is my back yard. :excuseme:

I goosed my Dunlops 739's out on the street after jumping off a ten foot retaining wall, and did a power slide for about 100 feet. Knobby tires do not grip the pavement where I live :excuseme: Maybe your roads have alittle more rubble on them down under :bonk:

I goosed my Dunlops 739's out on the street after jumping off a ten foot retaining wall, and did a power slide for about 100 feet. Knobby tires do not grip the pavement where I live :bonk: Maybe your roads have alittle more rubble on them down under :busted:

Yeah, and I can still smoke up all 4 drag slicks on my Evo 9! Your point is? :excuseme:

I recently replaced my Dunlop 739's for a Maxxis IT for the rear and the Si on the front as recommended in this Forum. I ride in Michigan Intermediate to soft trails. The 739's I was told were junk and and I can now confirm this myself from my riding experience. I was riding single track trails and was going into corners hotter than I should have trying to stay in front of my buddies 525EXC and more then once thought I lade it down to far but those Maxxis gripped and pulled me back up. Riding in open soft sand is much improved as well.

For what its worth, that is what I experienced.

For that type of riding, go the 952's. trust me.

I was a maxxis man, now dunlop.

Same state, but that is like 2000kms (1250 miles) away. :excuseme:

No doubt they would make it though! :busted:

As red as the sand is in some of your pics, I figured you were close to the Simpson. I saw that busted road-train pic too. :bonk:

As red as the sand is in some of your pics, I figured you were close to the Simpson. I saw that busted road-train pic too. :bonk:

I know how it looks the same! Down there is sand, up here is Bauxite (real slippery!) just like Jamaica. We process it here and turn it into Alumina. They use Alumina to make Aluminium. :excuseme:

Sand is useless! :busted: