1991 DR650 petcock and other questions...

Howdy,

There seems to be plenty of newer DR's out there, and I'm hoping for some feedback about my '91.

Anyone replace the petcock with one that is not vaccum operated? I'd like to. Can I simply clamp off the vacuum line without any options?

Can you put a extended fuel mixture screw on this years carb? I can't see where it goes.

Clutch-She's going to need a new one soon. Where's the best place to order a new one? OEM or aftermarket?

Motor-The cylinder head cover (not the inspection covers)is leaking a little bit of oil. I don't see a gasket in the parts diagrams. Do I peel it off and use RTV silicone for a new gasket? I suppose I should have it measured for warping, too?

Thank You!!

Chad

Anyone replace the petcock with one that is not vaccum operated? I'd like to. Can I simply clamp off the vacuum line without any options?

I'm not sure,I just pulled my 91's petcock off today because it was leaking gas by in the on position.Cleaned the filters,and all the orifices with carb cleaner,works fine now.I have read that you can plug the vacuum line,and get a new petcock from Jessie.

Can you put a extended fuel mixture screw on this years carb? I can't see where it goes.

Yes,I did and i got mine from Jessie.It goes on the bottom of the carb towards the intake,if your bike has not been messed with there is a brass blug that needs to be reomved.Jessies website has all the info.

Clutch-She's going to need a new one soon. Where's the best place to order a new one? OEM or aftermarket?

I just put a new one in today,all oem parts from the dealer.About 135 for all the disks and plates.However,the first fibre disk(toward the outside) is a different size than the others(larger ID to seat on a special wave washer),and as far as i could determine,was out of stock or even unavailable,so reuse yours.

Motor-The cylinder head cover (not the inspection covers)is leaking a little bit of oil. I don't see a gasket in the parts diagrams. Do I peel it off and use RTV silicone for a new gasket? I suppose I should have it measured for warping, too?

I used RTV,and got both sealing surfaves real clean.!000 miles later no leak.If you don't know who JESSIE is,you will soon.....

Here are 2 pics of the clutch assy,straight from ronayers.com,and you can see 2 different fibre clutch disks....their site says the first(#9) is discontinued.

clutch.jpg

clutch2.jpg

Hope this helps...Tom