Sign in to follow this  

DRZ for me?

Hello DRZ'ers....

I'm in the market for a new bike...currently NOT a rider, but was when I younger...(off road stuff).

I'm 6'2" and 260lbs....

I'm very interested in the XR650L as I'm looking for a bike to commute with, but also have some good off-road fun with also...

My local shop has sold out of the XRL's but has a DRZ400 (Blue) and a KTM525 EXC...

I like both of these bikes but the KTM could NOT be secured in a parking lot w/o a mongo chaing and I'm fearful that the DRZ maybe too small for me....

I don't really want to wait the next 2-3 months for the '07 XRL and was considering the DRZ....

Any other big riders out there ok on their DRZ?

What do you like about your DRZ and why is only a few hundred LESS than the XR650?

Though I'm not quiet as big as you, I'm 6'1", 245. I really like my DRZ. It pulls me around with no problem.It's great for commuting back & forth to work or riding around town. If you go the DRZ way, you might want to consider bar risers & "hi" bend bars. You'll also want to have some suspension work done if your gonna be riding it hard off road. The stock springs are soft for guys of our weight. I like the electric start! It fires up right away, every day! It gets 50 mpg & is a blast to ride. It has good power, though probably not near as much as the KTM. The bike doesn't feel too small for me, but that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself. Also, another great thing about the DRZ is this forum. There is so much info here, it's amazing. Want more power? There are MANY ways to do it & most of 'em are here. Want to make it lighter? Once again, it's here. Need a part? The TT store probably has it, if not, ask the question & the answer will probably be here! I think the DRZ is a great bike & don't regret buying it for one second.

im a big guy too. 6'0 and 240 and the drz is fine for me. i did install a set of bar risers but thats a minor thing.

performance wise: the drz will run away from the xrl. lower weight and more horsepower. and the drz is slightly smaller (a 290 lb. dirtbike is never small) and handles itself much better when offroad. the xrl however is probably a better highway bike.

don't know about your thoughts on the subject, but if you're deadset on a honda, how about doing a dual sport conversion on the xr650r. its not too difficult and the 650r will smoke both the drz and the xrl.

DRZ will be fine. I am 6'1" and 260 (ish), and have no problems with the DRZ. However, if you have an opportunity to buy a KTM 525, it's a heck of a bike.

The XR is pretty low tech by today's standards. Engine is a low compression air cooled unit. I don't think the stock unit makes much (if any more HP than the DRZ. There is a bit more low end torque, but the DRZ revs a lot higher, and pulls better on the top. DRZ also has a much better suspension, and is 40 Lbs lighter.

If you really want an XRL, they are available nationally (I've seen several), just find a dealer with connections who is willing to ship one from another dealer

I've ridden the DRZ and the XR650L on the highway. I didn't think the 650 was any better, just heavier. My XR650L always ran hot too, not a prob with the DRZ.

I'm 6'3" and 260, I have a DRZ400S and it's a great bike. Liquid cooled, light weight, and plenty of power (after very inexpensive intake and exhaust mods.)

i'm 6 feet, 220. 05 DRZ 400 SM. Excellent bike no suspension or engine mods. Rode a KLR(Kawasaki) 650. KLR Vibrated very badly. My DRZ 400 would spank it in a race hands down.

I am 6'3 and 220 pounds easy, i would not want any smaller bike than the DRZ considering it spends as much time on the bitumen as the dirt.

Rear spring is hopleless though (on the Australian E models anyway) but wind up the preload and see if the rear sag isnt much greater than 100mm.

Even with my bulk and 14/42 gearing the engine has the torque to do just about anything but hard bush riding, bigger rear sprocket takes care of that and only 20 minutes to change :bonk:

Good luck, nice decision to make :excuseme:

The reason for the narrow price difference was explained by the Dealer to me. He said that technologically the DRZ400 is a much better bike and that costs money. After 14 months on mine I am glad and believe him. By the way I am 6' 205 lb. and have no regrets.