Sign in to follow this  

Chain Adujusting Bolt

For some reason, I'm having difficulty turning over the the chain adjusting bolts to adjust my chain. I can't really adjust my chain without having to strip the head of the bolt with the 10 mm wrench. It seems like it seized in place or something. I tried using WD40 and it turns over a little. Any suggestions? Have any of you had similar situations trying to adjust the chain?

Thanks,

Steve

these things seize up all the time. you need to put grease or anit seize on the threads. Its supposed to be one of the things you first do to the bike when you buy it along with re lubing all the linkage, axels, and stering stem. make sure you are loosening the the 12mm bolt next to the swingarm first

Try using PB Blaster or some other teflon based Liquid Wrench bolt penetrant. After spraying the bolt let it sit for 10 minutes and then slowly tighten and loosen over and over a quarter turn to a half turn at a time working it back and forth. This almost always works. After this gets the bolt out, use anti sieze on the threads and it will be fine from then on. :excuseme:

Yeah.. what noMore said... but be patient... a little at a time.

I had this happen on my 02 and it took a while but it came out. Don't rush it or it will break off...

Definitely do what you can, the PB stuff seems to penetrate better than WD, once you get it out, make sure you use some form of Anti-Seize on them, it will make life much easier.

Also try using a good 6 point socket instead of a wrench. It will be less prone to slipping. Take the wheel and blocks out and socket it.

+1 :excuseme: