How do you carry spare gas on the trail ?

I am going to do some off roading in Utah soon, and would like suggestions on how you carry spare gas with you on the trail. I have an 06 WR450 with a stock tank. I am not prepared to buy a desert tank right now (though I do plan to in the future...)

TIA, Kurt T.

I have had to carry gas a few times when going on some long rides. In the past I have used the endoro jug that mounts to the bars and I have also packed a gallon of gas in my back pack. I have been on a few rides where the first gas stop was at the 170 mile mark. Only once have I had gas leak out from a gallon jug. After about 40 miles I would dump the gas from my gallon jug. You can also use some of the camp stove fuel bottles to hold gas. They are just harder to fill back up at the station when doing a multi day ride.

If you do put gas in a pack make sure you place your cloths in a plastic bag.

Good luck

Go to Starbucks and order a "COffee Traveler" box of coffee. Better yet, talk the cutie at the counter into giving you one with no coffee in it, tell her its for your hiking trip to ______, to carry extra water in so you can make your sweetie a cappucino by the fire...they tend to be greenie types that dont like dirtbikers.

Drink/give away the coffee. Remove the bladder from the box, and save the bladder. Recycle the box.

Its tough thick Mylar, with a large top that seals well. They are amazingly tough and also a long, rectangular shape, so it fits nice in a back pack. It rolls up nice and small for next time too. It hold 1.5 gallons+, and fills/pours quickly and easily.

Leave air in it when you fill it, so the air can compress if you fall on it, preventing rupture.

See picture:

DSC01633.jpg

I have a "water bottle" that straps to my crossbar on the handle bars. It holds a half a gallon of fuel and works well. The number plate tanks work really well, someone makes a side panel tank as well. Good luck!

these all sound good, i think im gonna try some..but i would only have one worry..what if you were to fall and happen to land on it? oops, there goes your gas, backpack, and clothes??

Don't crash! why are you riding that fast on a long ride like that where you're a long way from medical assistance anyway?

They are amazingly tough, though. I filled mine with water, and left a little air in for compression, and I can stand on mine with no trouble. You'd have to fall HARD and directly on it to have it pressure-rupture, and if you were falling that hard on your back you'd probably want hydraulic padding anyway..I have seen Camelback bladders burst in a similar situation and literally prevent a probable spinal injury.

ANother tip: be sure to clear the compartment in your pack of any items that might puncture the bladder!

Don't crash! why are you riding that fast on a long ride like that where you're a long way from medical assistance anyway?

Good point. You want to take it a little easy for the first 40 miles or so then dump the gas and then you can turn it up a little. The point of a long ride is to get to the end of the ride.

you dont necissarily need to be riding fast in order to crash. you can simply clip a tree, hit a rock, hit a branch, spin out in gravel...there are many things that can get you to fall, even if you are riding slowly and cautiosly.