Power of R over the L

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a quess; on the dyno an XR650L is 36~38rwhp and the XR650R is 44rwhp The differnance in how the power comes on is different also, these are uncorked bikes.

Bruce, can you elaborate a little on the "uncorked"? For the L is it stock muffler, foam air filter, carb mods? Would you say the power is fairly even up to a certain rpm, say 3000 - 4000?

sorry guys the R smokes the L in every gear, every speed, and every situation, the only thing that can make the L faster than the R is me...ha ha

Maybe we should post this at Starbucks :excuseme:

sorry guys the R smokes the L in every gear, every speed, and every situation, the only thing that can make the L faster than the R is me...ha ha

Yep, R has higher compression, smaller clearances, I'm sure a more radical cam. Probably more torque and HP at every point in the curve.

Don't know why people insist on comparing them- because they're both hondas, both red, and both pigs?

You got the 2nd part dead on, pigyder- the rider makes the biggest difference.

Terrain can make the extra power moot, too. Tight northeast woods, either is going to have enough power where you'll never be using 1/2 of what the R or the L has in the power department.

Dave

Bruce, can you elaborate a little on the "uncorked"? For the L is it stock muffler, foam air filter, carb mods? Would you say the power is fairly even up to a certain rpm, say 3000 - 4000?

With all the mod's (Dave's Carb. mods, Uni air filter, super trap muffler) was 38.2rwhp. Changing the cam really was a major wake up and make the bike rip. With the 10.5:1 101mm piston, Mukuni TMR38mm Pumper, Stage two cam, XR's only header, 49.6rwhp and was just explosive. Still heavy and the bike felt like a heavy XR600R but, just as fast and powerful as my tricked out XR628cc bike was, well maybe faster. I think the biggest difference between the XR650R and the XR650L is how they carry there weight. The "R" feels thinner and more agile. The XR"L" being almost 50 pound heavier. The fork angle is close to the same (half a degree difference) but, the tail angle is different. The XR"R" engine is 12 pounds lighter! 10 pounds lighter then the XR600R engine. The XR600R frame is lighter then the XR650R. Yes, the Aluminum XR"R" frame is heavier then the steel frame. With a pumper carb the "L" is very responsive in the low rpm's. The Cam in the stock "L" is beyond very mild and that is the biggest hold back on power delivery.

With all the mod's (Dave's Carb. mods, Uni air filter, super trap muffler) was 38.2rwhp. Changing the cam really was a major wake up and make the bike rip. With the 10.5:1 101mm piston, Mukuni TMR38mm Pumper, Stage two cam, XR's only header, 49.6rwhp and was just explosive. Still heavy and the bike felt like a heavy XR600R but, just as fast and powerful as my tricked out XR628cc bike was, well maybe faster. I think the biggest difference between the XR650R and the XR650L is how they carry there weight. The "R" feels thinner and more agile. The XR"L" being almost 50 pound heavier. The fork angle is close to the same (half a degree difference) but, the tail angle is different. The XR"R" engine is 12 pounds lighter! 10 pounds lighter then the XR600R engine. The XR600R frame is lighter then the XR650R. Yes, the Aluminum XR"R" frame is heavier then the steel frame. With a pumper carb the "L" is very responsive in the low rpm's. The Cam in the stock "L" is beyond very mild and that is the biggest hold back on power delivery.

Thanks Bruce, informative as always. :excuseme:

With all the mod's (Dave's Carb. mods, Uni air filter, super trap muffler) was 38.2rwhp. Changing the cam really was a major wake up and make the bike rip. With the 10.5:1 101mm piston, Mukuni TMR38mm Pumper, Stage two cam, XR's only header, 49.6rwhp and was just explosive.

Stage two cam?

I did not know that a stage two was available for and L?

What is the difference between a stage one and a stage two cam? :excuseme:

Are we talking XR600R or 650R, the 650L is based on the 600R motor, not the 650R motor. The better comparason is an L to a 600R, but there is still no comparason. The 600R is more like the 650R in the power department. The L is a bit of a piggy, 50lbs heavier than the 600R, and the 600R has about 8 more HP stock, and more torque than the 650L. My 600R is stock except for a pipe and jetting, I dragraced an L and spanked him so bad he got pissed because he was talking about being able to beat me because he had 50ccs on me and a stage two cam, pipe and stuff. Two out of three I beat him by 15 bikes, then the third time I fragged him because of a bad start, 20 bikes, We switched bikes and he won on my bike by about 13 bikes both times. This was over less than a 1/4 mile, more than an 1/8th but it was the same leingth every time.

Yep, R has higher compression, smaller clearances, I'm sure a more radical cam. Probably more torque and HP at every point in the curve.

Don't know why people insist on comparing them- because they're both hondas, both red, and both pigs?

You got the 2nd part dead on, pigyder- the rider makes the biggest difference.

Terrain can make the extra power moot, too. Tight northeast woods, either is going to have enough power where you'll never be using 1/2 of what the R or the L has in the power department.

Dave

Tight northeast woods. Power may not come in to play, but the almost 50lbs and the L suspension sure would. I would stick with the R there. Plate it and I would chose R every time

The cam fits either a XR600 or XR650L it is a regrind of a stock cam. It's just more then a Hot Cam stage one.

INTAKE LIFT: 9.2 mm

INTAKE DURATION: 262°

EXHAUST LIFT: 9.2mm

EXHAUST DURATION: 260°

With high compression pistons you have to machine the piston for valve clearance. As you would clay test any cam installation. A cam like this would not be a drop in installation as is the stage one with a stock piston.

Hot Cam stage one:

INTAKE LIFT: 8.8 mm

INTAKE DURATION: 258°

EXHAUST LIFT: 8.8mm

EXHAUST DURATION: 258°

Are we talking XR600R or 650R, the 650L is based on the 600R motor, not the 650R motor. The better comparason is an L to a 600R, but there is still no comparason. The 600R is more like the 650R in the power department. The L is a bit of a piggy, 50lbs heavier than the 600R, and the 600R has about 8 more HP stock, and more torque than the 650L. My 600R is stock except for a pipe and jetting, I dragraced an L and spanked him so bad he got pissed because he was talking about being able to beat me because he had 50ccs on me and a stage two cam, pipe and stuff. Two out of three I beat him by 15 bikes, then the third time I fragged him because of a bad start, 20 bikes, We switched bikes and he won on my bike by about 13 bikes both times. This was over less than a 1/4 mile, more than an 1/8th but it was the same leingth every time.

If he had a stage two cam it was a regrind and not a stock piston. If his bike was setup like you said, It was the rider and not the bike that made the XL650L slower. Or maybe the terrain. I could not see having a cam and/or header on a XL650L without a carburetor change. The XR600R and XR650L engine are real close to the same (as is the frame) they are not the same bike but, close. 50cc's is a lot and once you get rid of the pathetic cam and raise the compression in the XL650L you have a bored out XR600 engine that is better.

Here is a chart with some of the difference:

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com/XR680R.htm

Theres nothing like cruising nice , waiving to the stateman as he passes you

and unleashing a third gear wheelie once hes out of sight , on the L.

:excuseme:

lol i can do that on the R its street legal here

Awesome response!!!