Renthal CRF/150/230 Final Drive Kit 428 Conversion

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you're doing something wrong, because a 50+ horse power CRF450 doesn't stretch 520 chains.

Mike38 is right folks. You're doing something wrong. It would be impossible for that to happen . . . unless . . . :ride:

I'm sure you're chain is stretching, but it isn't do to the massive power of your 230. Your chain is too tight. If you do not not loosen it up, you could do some serious damage to the pivot that holds your front sprocket. Sorry: I can't recall it's name, but you're tugging at it over and over. Serious damage folks. Loosen your chain.

Well you're doing something wrong, because a 50+ horse power CRF450 doesn't stretch 520 chains.

Mike you are wrong about chains stretching. They do stretch, they all stretch, I don't care what size or horse power, they STRETCH.

With that being said, there is a reason that you have chain adjusters on the bike, because when the chain stretches you need to adjust it. If you follow the directions in the manual you should be fine, I run about 1.5-2 inches or three fingers of slack on my 150.

If your chain is too tight you can do damage to you cases and internal gears.

• 5 months later...
Check your time or speed coasting down a hill with both chains. It is measurable but just so. Probably equivalent to about 0.1 hp difference for a chain that lasts 1/4 as long.

This isn't so much a horsepower thing, this is a drag thing. Coasting down a hill would instantly bring into the equation wheel bearings, rider weight, amount of air in tires, wind resistance - did the wind gust while you were doing it during one test and not the other etc, etc... of course you've have to be in neutral as engine braking would be an issue etc, etc...

The bike accelerates MUCH harder with the non o-ring chain. On my bike I went up 2 teeth on the rear with the non o-ring chain, and now it's revving so much quicker with the non o-ring chain, that I need to go back down to the stock ratio to truly take advantage of it. I also switched to an aluminum sprocket of course.

If they won't/don't run an o-ring on a 35hp 125cc MX bike, then it's definately over kill on a CRF150.

I think the easiest thing to do is pop on a decent $20 non o-ring chain on and go ride. The difference is more than noticable. I think it made as much change on my bike as the BBR pipe and jetting mods when it comes to actual acceleration.

If the 428 is even lighter, it's going to be even better... the thing is as someone else mentioned, the 520 has a lot of sprocket availability, brands and prices to choose from. The 428 is limited in that only a few companies make them for our bikes. Me, I'd run a 420 if I had a sprocket that would fit - lighter, less drag all equal more acceleration. If they can run a 420 on the KX85 112cc super minis putting out almost 30 rear wheel horsepower, it'll handle our bikes power.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Mike

• 9 months later...
Only broke one chain in 23 years of riding....... and it was on a 525 SX KTM.

Not too worried about a 150 play bike eating chains. :confused:

Didn't break, but my chain came off once. It reminded me of the old bicycle days, and I got lucky that all I was doing was going slow over some rocks, otherwise it coulda been messy.

Of course, I have tightened it since then

I have been planning to up my gearing by adding one tooth on the front or going down in the back sprocket. I was reading the "uncorking the 230" project and they were VERY happy with the 3.33 ratio, but I wanted to make sure I had enough low end, so I decided to split it and do a 3.58 ratio. I have always been curious of the 428 conversion, I fully understand the benefits (however small they may be) so I went ahead and got front, back and 428 Ti-Moly chain from Sidewinder. It was not too bad priced either, a fast phone call to them, they overnighted a 48tooth rear, 16tooth front and the chain for 259$. I'll report back to see how much difference it made.