Sign in to follow this  

Trying to decide on a bike?

I've had my 450X for a year now. Its an '05, and I ride the thing HARD in the woods on sandy trails, every kind of terrain you can imagin for that matter.

Keep up and pass the guys I ride with NO problem, and other than the time I dumped it and twisted the left radiator in half... This bike has never limped home once. It's been like a Timex watch! It starts immediately with the button, or with a kick (I kick it once in a while just for the heck of it). I've checked the valves twice now and though they are off .002 on both sides, + on one side of the shaft, and - on the other. They are within spec. and I've not touched them. It idles and runs absolutely PERFECT everywhere in the power band with 50/50 race mix. Did all the mods and tuning myself, tuning was a cake walk with the JD kit, but had to go bigger on the main than anything included in the kit because of other mods.

I run Royal Purple in both sides. Just a bit over the recommended levels, and when I pull the top cover off the engine everything looks as clean and perfect as new. The very first time I changed the oil I found a couple little paint chips in it, other than that its always been as clean draining out as the day I poured it in.

I've added every "go fast" mod. you can find in the book other than the cam, and have found only a 500R able to compare to the kind of top end I'm getting (smokes that bike and the others at bottom end and mid range!).

If forced to complain about the bike, all I can tell you is it rides WAY harder than the other bikes (they've all had professional suspension rebuilds), and it's a little to tall for me in the sand (I'm 5'10''). Otherwise, I'd recommend an X to anybody at ANY skill level! OUTSTANDING BIKE!!!! I cant imagin any other bike having been any better!

Unless guys are having problems nobody posts much of anything on here about their bikes at all. As great a time as I've had with mine, I'd hate to think anyone is getting scared off by people not doing maitenance right, or the one in a hundred thousand bikes that did HONESTLY have a problem from the factory.

I own Suzuki's, Yamaha's, and other Honda's, and from the experiences I've had over the years...

RIDE RED! THEY'VE IMPRESSED THE #$$ OUT OF ME!!! (and everyone else thats riden the X!)

Oh, your opinion must be wrong because:

- you didn't swear once

- you are talking about your own bike not your buddies

- you did not disparage another brand

- you didn't mention your newest bestest graphics

- you failed to use the words "totally" and

- you told no story that was barely believable.

I therefore will sell my X tomorrow. Damn you!

Like Bdude I am 5'10 and also have trouble in sand or on the side of a hill.

From my experiences thus far bike is suited for most any skill level and has more than I can use 90% of the time.

I'm 5'10, what does that have to do with having trouble in the sand? Now, getting the damn thing off the side of a steep hill I didn't quite make it up--5'10 is a problem. I just don't see the relevance of rider height to sand riding? Unless you're dabbing? The best flat out deep sand bike I've ever owned was my XR650L (once it was set up correctly), and that thing had a seat height 3 inches taller than my 450X. In fact, I can get a tippy toe down on the X, but I had to hang half my ass off the seat on the L to get a toe on the ground.

My 450x rocks even better now that I have the JD jet kit! Starts sooo easy. Doesn't bog, blip, stall, hesitate, oscillate or anything else that would be unwanted. Besides the JD kit and opening the airbox, the second best thing I did was buy a new front tire. I'm selling mine too.

Diggin' it now aren't you Buckeye ?

I'm glad you've got 'er dialed ! Doug

Thanks for that post BDude, i'm thinking about getting a 450X and that post has just about convinced me. Cheers mate.

Oh, a side comment for the blokes complaining about seat height - you should try being 5'6!!

My 450x rocks even better now that I have the JD jet kit! Starts sooo easy. Doesn't bog, blip, stall, hesitate, oscillate or anything else that would be unwanted. Besides the JD kit and opening the airbox, the second best thing I did was buy a new front tire. I'm selling mine too.

You didn't cut the baffle yet did you? Damn you are a hard sell. Send me that damn thing, my Saws-all is ready to go.

N1, I almost want to saw it, just to make you happy, but the older I get the more I can't stand loud noises.