how to tell if rear shock is blown

hey guys I was riding my bike and just noticed that the rear end was real stiff. then i washed the bike and cleaned around the rear linkage and all of the sudden the thing is real boucy like a pogo stick. also the rebound adjustment seems to have no effect on the rate. so is it blown or not, can i rebuild it cheap or is it a costly repair. thanks for the help.

To me a shock is "blown" when you have oil running down the shaft.

Yes you can rebuild the shock yourself, it's pretty easy but I'm not sure on the cost $50 maybe. While you got it tore down you should replace the teflon band and o-ring that goes around the piston.

What bike is this off of?

its a 05 yz450, there is no oil leaking at all. I just can't understand why its not working. its like there is no resistance to the seat coming back up so its like you are riding the spring.

Sounds like no gas in it to me.

when a shock is blown the oil runs down the shaft and run out of oil. wonce its out of oil it will have no compression or rebound adjustment. my tcs rear blew and costed $100 to fix. if teh shock is stiff its valved to hard or has a valve proublum.

Try recharging it w/ nitrogen before you send it out. Your local dealer should be able to do this simple service for you.

BTW, you can lose nitrogen and not leak oil if you didn't ride on it w/o gas for very long.

• 14 years later...

I have the same issue with probably the same shock.  2005 yz250

i understand this is a dead thread, but no point in making a new one on the same exact topic.  

Bike sat for 2 years and pulled it out of the garage and it ran like a pogo-stick as if there was no dampening and only spring action.  Pulled the shock apart , dumped fluid, check everything looked great.  Filled with fluid and removed all air.  Filled with 160psi of nitrogen at work.  Felt like it was band new again.  

now a few days later it’s acting like a pogo stick.  I tried checking my pressures when I filled it but everytime I checked it would instant drop like 20-40 psi using the gauge.  

so my next step is to check it while it’s on the bike to see if it lost all the pressure or if my dampening valves are just trash?!  Some advice would help.  

I don understand the dead basics of the shock but I’m no expert technician.  If it’s just not holding pressure will I have to install a new bladder? How would I go about the filling valve?  

also I used Sherlock Leak Detect around the bladder opening & valve and it didn’t show air bubbles??

Edited by iantihero
Mis spelling

Good question.  Your bladder is probably blown or rotted.  How is your shock bumper?  Another reason to do a full rebuilt is when the bumper rots.  Pivot works has a good kit ... but I would highly recommend using a factory KYB bumper.  I had a Pivot Works split after a few hours.  Also if you do not have access to nitrogen, 100psi +/- of air works just fine (unless you are racing at Daytona this weekend).?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I have a 2005 yz250f and I need help debating weather or not the rear shock is blown or if it needs nitrogen. The shock has not leaked any fluids at all but it’s very bouncy like a pogo stick almost like riding on just the spring. Thanks In advance.