Sign in to follow this  

Best rear rack for heavy loads on a DRZ...

I made one (Dont laugh) out of a old molded office style chair, you mostly see them in canteen's, i took off the plastic molded seat part and cut up the tube steel you can get perfect curves, it took me around 40 min's to make and took a beating in the pico's with throw over baggage panniers look in pic below.

P1010606.jpg

P1010585.jpg

it was this type of chair, the guy in work still asks where his chair went

http://www.cbscl.com.hk/CBS-TC953.jpg

• Like 1

Also made a heatshield for the exhaust also to stop the baggage buring on the tailpipe i was carrying from burning, its a easy mode to do but remember mine is a S model i bought the S because of the touring i have in mind.

will post a pic later if anybody wants to see it.

I just bought the Tonns Racing "Panaman Edition" rack,

it sure looks like it will do the job. I don't have any personal experience

with it yet though :bonk:

Sweet I'm famous! :excuseme:

at least the @ss of my bike is :busted:

Also made a heatshield for the exhaust also to stop the baggage buring on the tailpipe i was carrying from burning, its a easy mode to do but remember mine is a S model i bought the S because of the touring i have in mind.

will post a pic later if anybody wants to see it.

Lets see it fozz!

Not the Nicest looking thing but saved my panniers as the rear pipe gets very hot, its just 4mm alloy bent around (i used a pipe and hammer to get shape, then measure the original screw holes (6mm) drill em and screw them on using the original heatshield holes, another thing i did which was one of the best mods to date was to use thin perspex cut it around 2x2 then warmed around 4 inches in on either side then warmed it then bent it then trimmed it then gaffer taped it on the headlamp surround to make a wind deflecter, two friends of mine bolted thiers on but i gaffered mine as not to leave holes when it comes off, might not look good but a live saver on long hauls on the motorway while touring.

pic's should below

P1010610.jpg

P1010611.jpg

P1010613.jpg

Picture showing the original rear exhaust without the original gaurd on

P1010615.jpg

The original exhaust with suzuki made exhaust gaurd

P1010616.jpg

Some closer pic's the the rear bike rack

P1010617.jpg

P1010612.jpg

The front wind deflecter i made

P1010614.jpg

As promised, pictures of the Suzuki SM only :ride: rack.

The part number is 990D0-29F00-060 and the price £40.00 uk.

More pics in My Garage.

Neil. :ride::banana::p

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=22503

i would love to get one of those racks. Is there a delaer there that will ship to me in US? Any help appreciated, I want that rack BAAAAD! :ride:

More pics in My Garage.

Neil. :ride::banana::p

Hi

can i ask how its fitted, i can see that it uses the two 6mm bolts that go through the seat, but was wondering where else its bolted, some detailed pic's would be nice if you get a chance. :ride:

Hi

can i ask how its fitted, i can see that it uses the two 6mm bolts that go through the seat, but was wondering where else its bolted, some detailed pic's would be nice if you get a chance. :ride:

No more pics, because the bolts are hidden.

It uses the two seat mounting bolts and two more that go through the same holes that

the original tool bag used, so it is also using the sub-frame mounting.

Actually you can see the very edge of one of them, hidden by the elastic strap.

So it uses the same mountings as the normal Suzuki rack.

If you want one just order it by Part Number 990D0-29F00-060, from any Suzuki main dealer.

Neil. :ride::ride::banana:

So i would be right in saying this wouldn't fit the E model as it doesn't have the rear subframe unlike the S model which does have.

So i would be right in saying this wouldn't fit the E model as it doesn't have the rear subframe unlike the S model which does have.

You are indeed.

There is a USA seller on E-Bay who often has a machined billet alloy rack for the E available.

Either that or fit a Suzuki S type rack, and make a subframe to support it.

It doesn't have to be a work of art, it's hidden by the rear mudguard.

Probably cheaper to do that, than order the one from the USA.

Neil.

:ride::ride::ride:

More pics in My Garage.

I only paid 45 EUR (£32?). It is listed 53EUR here in Finland.

The absolutely strongest rack is the TOM SLICK RACK (made by one of our TTMembers) It's made of steel...He will adjust the size to your specifications. I had mine made very large with extra mounting points. The rear subframe of the bike would break before this rack...I leave it mounted only for hauling heavy stuff or on trips..I remove it (5 minute job) when finished. I paid $90 for it...If you want a rack that can haul VERY heavy stuff and is indestructible this is the rack to get (Contact TOM SLICK on this forum)...

rack1.jpg

rack2.jpg

I have the Kyentec rack. I had a bad experiance. I"m not sure how it happend but both of my subframe mounting areas broke. The area where the seat bolts on. It could have happend in a fall. I"m not sure. But my first thought is that the rack itself mounts about 2in. away from the threaded area and this couses the bolt to easily apply excessive torque at this spot.

HI there. I'm coming to the States next month from the UK to ride the TAT and if you know anyone doing any of the sections it'd be good to hook up. I don't know if I can get all the way as I have about 4 weeks to do it but don't want to beat the bejasus out of the bike or myself. I bought a DRZ 400 up in Chicago and need to get it to the start of the trail a few days before I start so I can prep the bike etc but I'm working on that. Mail is rod.currie@virgin.net. Regards RC

More pics in My Garage.

Neil. :thumbsup::cry::ride:

I just got one of these from REDCAR MOTORCYCLES in UK, cost $75 for rack, $65 to ship to US.(WOW, &%$#@!!!!). Absolute nice piece, worth the money. Has shape that fits rear fender,looks sturdy enough to pick up bike with(??) and the fact it is genuine Suzuki means alot too. I promise pics as soon as possible, but really busy right now. Maybe saturday. I also have brand new DRC light to add at same time. CAN'T WAIT!! BE PATIENT! CAN'T WAIT! BE PATIENT! CAN'T...