Sign in to follow this  

Head stud torque into cylinder?

A couple of head studs were loose in the cylinder of my '01 CR250 engine. I've used two nuts locked together to tightened each stud into the cylinder, but I couldn't find a specific torque spec in the manual. Anybody know how tight they should be?

my manual says its 20 ft lbs for the cyl head bolts... :excuseme:
Yeah, that's the torque for the nut on the stud. Do you use the same torque for installing the stud in the cylinder :bonk: ?

for putting the stud in the cylinder i usually just tighten it as tight as i can get it. BUT, make sure you use a somewhat SHORT wrench to tighten it. if you get too long of one, you will have too much torque, and you could break it. ive done it 3 time, and all bikes have been percect :excuseme:

if you have the factory service manual,look on page 7-2 in the cyl.head/cyl/piston section. it says the stud torque is 9ft. lbs.... just make sure you use a good strong locking agent, and give it plenty of time to cure...:excuseme:

look on page 7-2 in the cyl.head/cyl/piston section.
Did you ever get to the point in a project where you can't see obvious things in the manual.... right under your own nose :excuseme: ??

Did you ever get to the point in a project where you can't see obvious things in the manual.... right under your own nose :excuseme: ??

all the time..

How do you tighten a head stud?

the easiest way is to install 2 nuts, lock them together, then use those nuts to torque the stud in. they also make stud installation and removal tools, but they are kinda pricey...

the easiest way is to install 2 nuts, lock them together, then use those nuts to torque the stud in.
:ride: