Sign in to follow this  

Stablemate for my DR650

Absolutely not selling my DR and I bet it will still get most of the miles but I am sort of dreaming of more of a touring type of ride. While some can rack some distance on a DR this 46 year old has the body of a 66 year old. Bad back and knees. I want a Harley Bagger but too expensive and I am not really a harley kind of guy. Have been thinking of a V-strom (650 or 1000) or a Concour as a new bike. Downside to all is high insurance, V-strom are really horrible insurance wise. I like simple, rugged, heavy to fight wind, need not be fast, comfortable with a leg under riding position. Basically a Dr1300 twin with a huge seat for my fat ass and plenty of luggage room. Oh, great gas mileage and a thumping kind of touquy feel. Used ok, in fact probably a good idea.

While you might not think of your self as a "Harley type of a guy" what you described is pretty much a Harley. The buy-in might be a bit higher than a metric cruiser, but the resale will be much higher as well. You should be able to find a clean Dyna Superglide for around $10K, ride it for 5 years and sell it for not much less than you paid for it. The Superglide has standard pegs, plenty of power for pushing a windshield through the wind, gets around 50mpg and with a set of bags and a Mustang seat it will cruise with the best of them. Oh, and you really don't have to have a tattoo and black leather jacket to ride one.

If you're looking at a metric cruiser then I suggest you look strongly at the Kawasaki Vulcan Classic models. Either the 800 or the 1500. Both handle in a nice light neutral feeling fashion when the tires are in decent shape. They FEEL heavy but once you pull away they suddenly feel like they drop a hundred lbs off each side even at parking lot speeds.

The 800 is lighter and feels a touch sportier. The 1500 is nicer on the highway but being heavier accelerates up to about 60mph at the same rate (give or take a little) as the 800. But over 60 the pull of the larger engine comes into play.

And the Vulcan Nomad comes with color matched bags.

UPSam, You sound alot like me, as far as bike preferences go. I have a DR650 and wouldn't trade it for anything...but, my dream road bike is the V-Strom 1000. I have a friend who has one, and it's a beauty. He loves it and can't say enough about it. I hope to have one to compliment my DR in the next year or two.

I have rented a few Harley's over the years, as well as a Buell sport bike and a BMW 1100 touring/cruiser bike (forgot the exact model). They were fine bikes to rent for a couple days, but I just can't get into the cruiser type of bikes that much. My last road bike was a Suzuki RF900 (that was a few years ago). It was a great bike, although a bit on the "sporty" side. For me, the V-Strom is the perfect bike, right behind the DR650.

I've got a 2-valve R100R BMW. They're getting a bit old now (last ones made in 1995), but it IS the perfect motorcycle. It never gets uncomfortable (unlike the cruiser style of bike) and sort of goes fast in corners. It can carry more gear than a lot of small cars. It even goes OK on easy dirt, and the cops LAUGH at you when they see you speeding (what's this old bugger think he's doing...).

i have a 1000 v strom as my main street bike. with a taller windshield and some givi bags, its prefect.you can cruise all day and drag the pegs in the turns if you want. as far as insurance , i only pay 400.00 a year for full coverage.i use the dr650 to explore dirt roads and easy trails and when i get the urge to go real fast off road the rmz450 does me just fine.

I really do like Harleys. I really think the price they sell for used is insane. I was thinking that if I buy a Jap bike used it would cheap and I could resell cheap too. If I had a bunch of $$$, I would definitely consider that new street bob model and pull the apehanger handlebars off. I should try the new sportster as they are reseanable new. They had a 1200R for $8500 but can't believe they have improved that much. I actually bathe alot less than most of the harley riding lawyer, have a tatoo and dirty clothes. I just think prices on used electra-glides with mucho miles are evidence of a cult.

Old BMW is another idea. One of my best friends in highschools dad owned a BMW shop. The 1970-1980 Beemers were great. THe new ones are neat but they lost the simplistic charm. Buehls are another case of taking a good thing(harley motor) and going nutz with it.

I do really like the V-stroms and have always like the Suzuki mentallity. Not sure I would want to work on it and insurance is the same as sport bikes. It is kinda ugly too.

Well, I have time to think as the bank account is empty

I would get what I have, a Kawasaki ZRX1200. Just a great all around street bike. Upright riding position, 550 lbs, so wind doesn't affect it. The throttle response is a smooth as butter. 115 hp so there is enough power, it can power wheelie. Kaw stopped importing them in 2006, but you can get a good clean used one for around 5k. And if you want you can make it scream by adding a pipe and jet kit to bring it up to 130 hp. I left my stock, because I love the drivability it has that way. But if you must go with a v-twin, I say go with the new Kawasaki classic 900. These are fuel injected, there are improvements everywhere over the 800. :excuseme:

Simple and perfect answer: Get a used BMW R1100GS or R1150GS.

In addition to my DR650, I also have a 2000 BMW R1150GS. It is the perfect do it all pack mule travelling machine. They have a tiny bit of overlap with the DR650, but really complement the shortcomings of the DR650 as far as travelling goes while still offering some off-road capability (firetrail/two track sort of riding) when the DR650 isn't around. Since the 1200GS came out, the price of the 1150GS bikes has dropped rather dramatically and there are a lot of low mileage examples around the country for very reasonable prices, especially considering what you get for the money. Half the price of a Harley. I've had Harleys and about everything made out there and the big GS is the best two wheeled "Swiss Army" knife in terms of versatility on the market. It sounds like one of those would fit your purposes exactly, as it has mine.

When it came time for me to buy a new one, I was dead set on the Suzuki S50 Boulevard. 800cc was just the right size and the bike fit me perfectly. Since my wife wanted a DR200SE, I just went ahead and got the DR650SE so we could match... and so she wouldn't take off down a dirt road and leave me sitting on the pavement. While I really do like my DR, I still wish I had a S50 when I get on the highway. I'm in the same predicament. When (if) I ever get some extra cash, I'm getting something else (but I'll never get rid of the DR!).

In addition to my Dr 650, I also ride a 1995 Honda ST1100. It's has great torque, but it's very smooth, maybe to smooth for a guy who's body is in his sixties. For a heavy bike it handles well, it's comfortable and has removable hard bags.I know guy's with over 80,000 miles and their bikes are still running strong. I love flying thru the mountain passes in the Pacific Northwest on it.

I also love playing around with my DR too, but the ST is my bike of choice for a day or longer pass rides.

I used to have BMWs before I was married, (read= had money when single). Had both an GS and an R bike. I'd love to have another but they are still a little too expensive for me. My wife absolutely hates my motarded DR and demands I get a bike she can ride pillion on in reasonable comfort. For the money I keep looking at the Kawasaki Concourse. Any of you guys have those?

I think it would be great for two up riding and my daily highway commute. I'll keep the DR as sort of a sport bike.

Absolutely not selling my DR and I bet it will still get most of the miles but I am sort of dreaming of more of a touring type of ride. While some can rack some distance on a DR this 46 year old has the body of a 66 year old. Bad back and knees. I want a Harley Bagger but too expensive and I am not really a harley kind of guy. Have been thinking of a V-strom (650 or 1000) or a Concour as a new bike. Downside to all is high insurance, V-strom are really horrible insurance wise. I like simple, rugged, heavy to fight wind, need not be fast, comfortable with a leg under riding position. Basically a Dr1300 twin with a huge seat for my fat ass and plenty of luggage room. Oh, great gas mileage and a thumping kind of touquy feel. Used ok, in fact probably a good idea.

Progressive Ins. did not rate the VStrom like a sport bike; insurance was dirt cheap. Insurance rates are ultimately influenced by the riders they attract (accident / policy) and the theft, repair, replacement cost of the bikes. VStrom attracts the same general crowd as the DR650, kind of weird older farts aesthetically unimpressible, (I resemble that remark) but we don't crash as much as the sportbike guys.

I'd second Warpig's older BMW suggestion. An older GS meets at least 90% of what you described.

Progressive Ins. did not rate the VStrom like a sport bike; insurance was dirt cheap. Insurance rates are ultimately influenced by the riders they attract (accident / policy) and the theft, repair, replacement cost of the bikes. VStrom attracts the same general crowd as the DR650, kind of weird older farts aesthetically unimpressible, (I resemble that remark) but we don't crash as much as the sportbike guys.

I have progressive in Michigan. A DR-650 is $250 year full coverage. Both V-stroms are almost $900. BMWs are cheap as are harleys. I don't get it. Going to be moving in the next couple years to AZ. AZ insurance covers less and is twice as much on my DR with progressive. I will do some heavy research on insurance in AZ before I buy.

For the money I keep looking at the Kawasaki Concourse. Any of you guys have those?

QUOTE]

I've ridden them and was left very unimpressed. They buzz, if you move the bars too quick, you have to wait for the flexible chassis/suspenders to catch up, they are just old school in every way. After all, it is a twenty something year old design. I'd be after a used FZ1 or any more modern offering like the ST1100 spoken about above before getting a Concours. The Connie will get the job done, it would be better if it did that job like a bike made at least ten years ago.

I really like my Honda 919. Comfy seat, torquey feel, great handling and cheap to insure. I've never had any problems with getting blown around either. Upright posture with 600 handling and 1000 power.

Just my $0.02 worth... Besides my DR650 I have owned several bikes over the past two years including '02 HD Fatboy FLSTFI, '05 HD Ultra Classic FLHTCUI and '95 Airhead BMW R100 GSPD "Classic". I ended up with a '05 BMW R1200GS as my "other" bike. It is the one that I will ride to Alaska in August. It is great over the long haul, but light enough that I'm not limited to pavement. I (think) I am like you in that I really like riding the DR around town and it can't be beat when the going gets rough, but the GS is wonderful for long trips and for loaded touring. In winter, I will miss the protection that the Ultra offered (fairing and lowers), but this pair of bikes seems to fill the bill for me. In the end I wanted something that would allow me to negotiate gravel/fire roads and still tour long distances. Plus, the more I rode the Harley, the less I liked the noise. Good luck with your choice.

I have progressive in Michigan. A DR-650 is $250 year full coverage. Both V-stroms are almost $900. BMWs are cheap as are harleys. I don't get it. Going to be moving in the next couple years to AZ. AZ insurance covers less and is twice as much on my DR with progressive. I will do some heavy research on insurance in AZ before I buy.

When you say "full coverage" do you mean collision as well?

I have fire, theft and liability for $75 on my 01 DR650 thru progressive