Broken Bones

I broke my ankle and wrist and i was wondering if you guys have any advice for me to help it heal as healthy and quick as possible?

Find a good doctor and do what he/she says. The operative word is GOOD.

Avoid alchol and tobacco. Maintain a good high protein diet. Get pleanty of sleep. Take a multivitamin

Notice I didn't say take extra calcium. My guess it that you are pretty young. Drink a pint of milk every day.

My wrist took a solid six weeks to heal. I am 41. I drank lots of milk and took it easy for a while. I also broke the bone in my arm (ulna????) so they gave me a full arm cast. I learned to type with one hand.

After the arm cast comes off, you will need two to three weeks of strength training to get it back to about 85%.

The broken ankle may be more of a problem for you since you broke your wrist. I don't know how you will use the crutches?

Good luck.

i have been to the doctor and had surgery and everything, he told me id be in the casts for like 6 weeks but besides that not much more info. i mainly use a wheel chair to get around.

I broke my right ankle and left wrist, they put me in a walker with a brace for my left forearm. I really don't know if it was the best idea, now over a year later my left foot and hip kill me sometimes, I think it was from hopping on the walker.

Milk has tons of calcium but very low bioavailability (absorbtion).

With the wrists, it will get stronger slowly but surely because you use your hands quite a bit. You will have to work on flexibilty mostly. My doctor had me doing exercises to stretch my wrists all the way back. This will be very difficult at first.

The key for me was doing pushups. I couldn't do any at first, I was just happy to get in pushup position and hold it for 10 seconds. Work your way up to doing pushups.

The ankles and feet are another thing... when I broke my foot before, I got the cast off, but it still took a while for the swelling to go down completely. I had to buy extra wide and comfortable shoes. I also wore one of those lace up anke braces. But, get out of that thing as soon as possilble and just do some easy walking. It will be important to stretch that achilles.

I think you are in for a bit of discomfort, but you'll be ok over time.

The ankles and feet are another thing... when I broke my foot before, I got the cast off, but it still took a while for the swelling to go down completely.

Swelling - a subject in which I have much interest at this time. How long was "a while" for you maurice?

Swelling - a subject in which I have much interest at this time. How long was "a while" for you maurice?

I broke all of the metatarsals in my foot in January. It took 6 weeks to get the cast off, another 6-8 weeks before I could say that the swelling went completely down. I had to get a set of wide walking shoes.

After the cast was off, I was walking slowly and limping around for a while. I got used to it and kept walking until the pain went away.

I also sprained my ankle really bad (other foot). Since I am not as good as following doctors orders as i should be, it took about two months for the swelling to go down completely. After that, I am still working to strengthen my ankle. It feels better everyday, but I feel it sometimes still when running.

The ankle, foot and all of its muscles needs to exercised and strengthened. Your doctor can recommend some good exercises to gain the strength back after an injury. Its always a good idea to follow the advice.

I think the real answer for me to stop hurting my feet and ankles are to improve my cardiovascular fitness level, drop at least 15lbs, and get stronger so that I don't fatigue and crash out on the trails.

Tums are full of calcium and the fruit flavored ones are pretty good! My doctor advised me to take two a day when I broke my finger.

Thank you very very much Maurice. That information really helps. It has been 5 weeks since my tib fib incident and while swelling is the only real issue it seems to be coming right along. I think Dr. Mark may agree with you that being in good shape is a good thing.

Thanks again.