Dirt rider cr500afx

I was kind of disapointed when i got the dirtrider mag and read the review on this bike for two reasons. First was the suspension. The review sort of gave me the impression that the susp. was only good for riding on a dirt road. I dont have the mag on hand so besr with me but it said it would not be suitable for any jumping or even large rocks or roots??? Secondly how they were constantly saying that the power deliverence was super smoothe. Wasnt the perpose of having a cr500 motar to excite and scare you a little. Dont get me wrong i Know eric gorr is the best at porting but why so mild even for a trail bike? Next i think they should make a cr500af-R for mx._thanx

Service honda does make a cr500af for mx.

Thinking about picking up an aluminum framed, big bore smoker?

no not seriously but ive concidered it

I was kind of disapointed when i got the dirtrider mag and read the review on this bike for two reasons. First was the suspension. The review sort of gave me the impression that the susp. was only good for riding on a dirt road. I dont have the mag on hand so besr with me but it said it would not be suitable for any jumping or even large rocks or roots??? Secondly how they were constantly saying that the power deliverence was super smoothe. Wasnt the perpose of having a cr500 motar to excite and scare you a little. Dont get me wrong i Know eric gorr is the best at porting but why so mild even for a trail bike? Next i think they should make a cr500af-R for mx._thanx

Have you ever ridden a CR500? I own one and absolutely love it. I'd kill for a CR500AF. I have a heavier flywheel on mine to help smooth out the power hit a bit. Don't worry! The power is frickin' awesome, even when smoothed out. If you don't have it smoothed out somewhat, you have no chance of putting that power to the ground. Even with a heavier flywheel, it is plenty explosive. My CRF450X is pretty ho-hum compared to the CR500.

I haven't read the article, but I'd say they were talking in relative terms. A properly set up CR500 can be a very easy bike to ride. It combines a tons of grunt, can't kill, tractor motor with 60+ screaming horsepower. It's almost too much for a motocross track. Acceleration off a tacky berm with traction, is flat scary.

As for the suspension, mine is great with RaceTech Gold Valves. It's much plusher than my 450X. I'm guessing the bike they tested just wasn't set up properly.

Ya well mine is a 85 and it flat outs moves. Pretty scary sometimes with 5th gear wheelies going down a paved road lol. My stock suspension is pretty plush also and I have dreamed of doing a CR500AF conversion but first I have to master TIG welding or have someone else do it LOL Buying one brand new is just outrageous and I would never do that for sure... Even them 250r from Service Honda are overpriced.

Has BBR ever done a frame for something other than smaller (150cc) bikes?

i am seriously considering buying a cr500 in the next year or two, just to say i have it and so i can fly, im gonna get the mag and read the article

On the trail, you don't want explosive 500cc two-stroke power. That's just insane. The regular CR500AF that is built more for motocross and dunes has the hard hit you sound like you are looking for.

Doug

I'll say it again. A properly set up CR500 with some added flywheel weight and proper carburation will crawl up gnarly trails with the best of them. It's a diesel when you want it to be, with a rocket ship bonus. It's not like it's always on or off power. It's got a big ole piston in there that will chug along like a John Deere, if that's what you need. I swear mine will go down to almost zero RPM, and as long as you are giving the slightest amount of throttle, you cannot kill it.

I'll say it again. A properly set up CR500 with some added flywheel weight and proper carburation will crawl up gnarly trails with the best of them. It's a diesel when you want it to be, with a rocket ship bonus. It's not like it's always on or off power. It's got a big ole piston in there that will chug along like a John Deere, if that's what you need. I swear mine will go down to almost zero RPM, and as long as you are giving the slightest amount of throttle, you cannot kill it.

I agree totally!!! My cr500af is perfect for most anything really, all I have done so far is put on a V-force reed cage, and an 11 oz. flywheel weight (smallest available) and it is simply perfect. Plus i still have the delicious arm jerking power when needed!!! I also have a crf450r and it may be slightly more rideable because of the tourqe, but the 500 can be just as good as long as you respect the throttle!!

I recently bought a '00 CR500 for dune riding but I've had it out in some tight trails lately just to see how it runs. Big mistake...lol, in basically stock trim with an FMF Gnarly and Power Core pipe it's a handful. I've softened the clickers and brought the forks up a little for tighter turning but I'm just getting worked in the tight stuff. Even though it's my "dune bike" I want it to be ridable everywhere else so I think a steering stabilizer and a flywheel weight is in order for starters. I'm a little disappointed with the suspension but then I'm spoiled being on the GasGas for the last year...lol

Has BBR ever done a frame for something other than smaller (150cc) bikes?

im pretty sure BBR was the first one to do the 500AF conversion

there was a cr500af for moto before the af-x ..lol &%$#@!

Ive ridden my 85 cr500 on trails and I love it. The thing I love the best compared to a 125 or 250 is whatever gear you are in you can wheelie. Sounds stupid but it really works out on a trail when you are crossing a pothole, log, or ruts. I really like my steelie and would possibly do a cr500af but I dont know if I trust my motor that much LOL Trannys on 85s I hear are not the best but I havent found that out yet LOL

. The thing I love the best compared to a 125 or 250 is whatever gear you are in you can wheelie.

I miss the same thing about the '91 CR500 I had - just blip the throttle at anytime and wheelie over anything. It would also carry a light front wheel through a mud bog.

But the bike was a little on the cantankerous side and the forks were midevil.