Ride report: GT bald mtn

Showed up at 0800, no one there, rode about 20-25 miles. Dusty, and FRIGGIN HOT! We had the east side to ourselves, guess all the smart people r at the lake. :excuseme: Got back about 1100, one truck at stage. Guess the good news is that all the rock snot in the shade about 3 weeks ago is non-existant now.

What was the temp in your best estimation. It was 102F up at gorman. :excuseme:

It wasn't bad at the creek crossing on trail 1, probably a chilly 85F, but at the top it was around 95 at 9am. You gotta throw in the fact that GT is about 5K in elevation. Top of some trails is probably 6-7K (if anyone knows for sure, jump in) Gorman is a hell-hole in the summer unless you hit some of the mtn trails. I grew up there on the weekends in the mid-late 80's. We owned the sand castle, used to camp right by the lone elm tree still standing there. Went there last memorial day with some buds from Valencia, didn't even recognize it, especially with the park nazi's patrolling.

Your elevations are off a little bit. Mace Mill staging area is at about 3000', and the top of Bald Mountain (the highest point in the area) is about 4600'. :excuseme:

Yeh, forest trails the only way to go in gorman these days, espescially on weekends. We got back to the hell hole bout 1:30 and a**clowns on quads spinning donut in the sterling staging area. Couldn't wait to get out. I think our ride was at 4500 to 6000. You, knowing the area, might know what the altitude is there? :excuseme:

a**clowns on quads spinning donut in the sterling staging area. Couldn't wait to get out.

what with all the greenie and asbestos and other BS attacks on trail riding in this state, here we are in the end being overrun by asswipes on quads, like inner city boogie boarders taking over zuma beach, like disco jonnys taking over the local pups, like susan anton turning gay..............quad doofus's take over ride areas like locusts from a bad B movie about truckers and CB radios. like jet skis at a surf break, gawd they are stupid.

not to mention, the ranger nazi's, but then Good for them if they bust these loud pipe quad terds.

what with all the greenie and asbestos and other BS attacks on trail riding in this state, here we are in the end being overrun by asswipes on quads, like inner city boogie boarders taking over zuma beach, like disco jonnys taking over the local pups, like susan anton turning gay..............quad doofus's take over ride areas like locusts from a bad B movie about truckers and CB radios. like jet skis at a surf break, gawd they are stupid.

not to mention, the ranger nazi's, but then Good for them if they bust these loud pipe quad terds.

LOL! Bob you were at Zuma climbing cliffs to see the nudies!!!!! In all honesty, the ranger presence was necessary at the time I was there last year...the medivac flew in three times in the first day I had been back since a 15 year sabbatical. You think mace mill is danger w/in a 1 mile radius...this place is the area that all LA dealers promote when chachi is on the first hour of his new ride... Blind corners, double track jumps horizontally blind....death trap central....

But, good trails for the ones who knew they were there. Took you from 1500 to 4500 ft vertical. semi-tech trails, but if you could conquer #1 at GT, this was a cake walk.

But BB, they (usually) have a decibel meter at the entrance.....and I concur, comply with the reg's (no matter how assinine) and support the sport....

Your elevations are off a little bit. Mace Mill staging area is at about 3000', and the top of Bald Mountain (the highest point in the area) is about 4600'. :excuseme:

Can't argue w/ OD's info. I live in Auburn @ about 1100'....

Thanx OldeDude....Didn't want to BS....

Weather.com says t-showers tomorrow, would be nice. I'm headed up to Bald mtn tonight to catch a long, early ride tomorrow. Anyone free manana?

I would but I'm trying to tie some things up here at the office to ride FH #5 on thurs....doesn't look good at this point. Oh well, I'll be up there mid-July anyway.

Weather.com says t-showers tomorrow

try this link for weather, bit more accurate...sometimes...

click on the map for the 5day forecast in your area

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sto/

Dry lightening not showers forcasted I guess. Only good for fire starting not moist velcro dirt.