Question for 650 Motards

Where did you get your rims and spokes from? Does Wheelwright offer them for our bikes? They seem to be the best price I can find for an exel rim spoke combo. Thanks.

this is what i did

COSTS

BEHR RIMS(BLACK) $430(Kirk at FPR)

Buchanan spokes/lacing/truing by buchanan $365.60 (Angel at Buchanans)

stock dr650 hubs $316(ron ayres)

pilot powers $236(ebay)

front bearings + spacer $35.69(ron ayres)

tubes $31.65(thumper talk)

grand total(OUCH) $1414.94(INCLUDES SHIPPING)

I plan on using my stock hubs, and getting my local mechanic to lace the wheels. I'm trying to spend as little as possible.

Check out http://www.motostrano-store.com/acclot.html

And more specifically they offer a rim and lace package onto your stock hubs...

http://www.motostrano-store.com/sudr650suwhp.html

They also sell EBC rotor and caliper bracket kits for only $200 but I don't see the 650 listed there. But if you know that the hub is rotor compatible with one of the bikes listed then you're fine.

But on sale right now for $1100 they have a full wheel set with Talon hubs lace to Excell rims. No need to break up your current set. So you can either keep them for dirt duty or flog 'em on ebay to offset your conversion costs.

you should then get another rear weel and lace it to the front hub...slap on a couple street tires and "call it a day"

But on sale right now for $1100 they have a full wheel set with Talon hubs lace to Excell rims. No need to break up your current set. So you can either keep them for dirt duty or flog 'em on ebay to offset your conversion costs.

correct me if im wrong but that wont fit on a dr650..all these wheel sets are made for the smaller bikes and the large hondas...the dr650 gets no love :bonk::busted::excuseme:

you should then get another rear weel and lace it to the front hub...slap on a couple street tires and "call it a day"

How wide of a tire could I put on the stock rear wheel and get maximum performance?

Would the Talons for the RMZ450 or DRZ400 not fit? If not then I apoligise for teasing you.....

Since the 650 has an 18 rear and that would be a trifle wide I'd go with a motocrosser rear rim and suitable spoke kit. That would allow you to mount up a 100 to 110 wide front 19 incher.

But at that point you may as well just get an oversize rotor kit for the DR and mount up the 21 and 18 Distanzia's and call it a day. And a fine one it would be too. Nothing says that you MUST have 17's to get a ton of grip.

The 650 has a 17 rear wheel.

I had much cheaper prices from EastCoastWheels. But they were about 2-3 weeks longer than I wanted. I sent them my stock hubs and they sent me back my hubs relaced to 17 inch rims (3.5 front, 4.25 back). Excel rims and buchannon spokes. They also bead blasted my rear hub for free, b/c it was looking a little rough. All this for $675.

How wide of a tire could I put on the stock rear wheel and get maximum performance?

I have a 150/70/17 on my stock rear rim. This tire is wider than any chart recommends for this width rim. I pulled a old Anakee out of the trash tire pile as an experiment. It fits fine and as far as I can tell,works fine. Will probably lace up a proper rim as I just scored another set of wheels this week. :excuseme: