Sign in to follow this  

Good idea to mod?

i'm thinking instead of buying a '06 450 just do more to my 250.

heres what i had in mind:

290 or bigger

hotcams

iCat

and cosmetic things

the price difference is very significant.

buy my new bike

sell my 250- $5200(best case senario) and i'm left with my ASV levers

buy the 2006 450- $9500

difference- $4300

mod my 250

big bore- $720

cams- $325 for both(not sure if i should get both)

iCat- $200

maybe clutch mods- $unknown

total- $1255

thats a pretty big difference.

can somebody tell me what i would expect for HP gains?

can somebody compare this to a 450?

thank-you :excuseme:

I would say get a 450. They are so much funner, because they have so much torque and power. You could 290 your bike, but it will leave you with close to if not 40hp. Yes, very good power for a 250f, BUT nothing close to the power of the bigger thumper. Another thing to look at is maintenance, there will be alot less of it if you went the 450 route. It doesnt rev as high, so less valve adjustments and topends.

Just my .02

so i would still be 15 HP away from the 450. its alot of cash to get the 450 though man. ALOT, i'm 16 and that kind of cash doesn't come easy. i'll see what kind of deals come around next spring????

With the big bore the 'power to weight' ratio is exellent and it would be a lot of fun but the bottom end is made for 250cc and the new power will put a strain on the parts.The 450 already has the power and reliability but is heavier and consumables [chain/sprockets/tyres] will wear quicker.It's a tricky situation and only you [or your wallet ] can decide.Good luck and hope this helps

Definitely get the 450. Nothing like having a new bike.

Buy it with the zero-zero-zero for 12 months and then save/pay for it when the bill comes due.

okay 450 no matter what but 9500 for a 450?!?! no way
That's Canadian.

450 is more linear... but i read alot on the big bore 250f's and if you dont race and like the feel of a 450 the linear pull and the bottom grunt then the athena can be a good choice, or MAX Powers is a better option if you have a spare few grand laying around..haha its a great inbetween for the bike and makes a world of difference. but i cant give a number..sorry

iCat- $200

Why do you want iCat? I have got an iDog for my iPod, but not an iCat!!!! :bonk:

Seriously, I would skip that and get a Vortex ignition if I were you. :excuseme:

Brett, in the LONG RUN, the 450 will be better.

Then when you want MORE POWER (as you do now), you'd already have it IF you get the 450 NOW, not 1 year later.

Really depends on your riding. Not many people can ride a 450 at full speed without getting ridden. Most get tired from the bike on a track very quickly. This is where someone on a smaller bore bike can catch up and pass them with ease. you just have to wait until they tire.

If you are riding trails and woods, or wide open stuff then yes the 450.

If you are riding tracks, the 250f is way more fun. The tighter the track, the more fun the little F is. You usually ride better also on the smaller bike. If you read some writeups on souped up 250fs, usually stock bore bikes with cams, porting and higher compression pistons are preferred over bigger bore units. Keeps them rideable, but way better than stock.

I thought the same thing as Matt ^^^ until I bought an 06 450. I also had an 04 250f & the 06 450 turns better, feels lighter (really) & has such a smooth controllable motor. The bike is really that good :excuseme:

Really depends on your riding. Not many people can ride a 450 at full speed without getting ridden. Most get tired from the bike on a track very quickly. This is where someone on a smaller bore bike can catch up and pass them with ease. you just have to wait until they tire.

If you are riding trails and woods, or wide open stuff then yes the 450.

If you are riding tracks, the 250f is way more fun. The tighter the track, the more fun the little F is. You usually ride better also on the smaller bike. If you read some writeups on souped up 250fs, usually stock bore bikes with cams, porting and higher compression pistons are preferred over bigger bore units. Keeps them rideable, but way better than stock.

well thanks for that reply :bonk:

that is VERY true, on a track the 450 would probably kick my :excuseme: . BUT, the only reason i go to tracks is to hit jumps, i don't race on a regular basis(ie: every week end). just last night is a perfect example of what i like to do on a ride, thrashed around on my property, through trails and stuff. then down a few roads to a really windy gravel pit road, just ripped down it and got the back end out through every corner. then to another pit that has alot of jumps, pretty fun. from there i hooked on to a snowmobile trail with lots of hills and ruts and stuff, ripped through there. out onto the road on the other side, down into a feild, across the feild onto the road on the other side, looked at the fish in the creek, went home the same way :busted:

sure i will use a 450 on a motocross track, but like i said, its not my main thing. and besides, a remember very cleary almost alows wanting more grunt out of the corners, so i think i could "handle" it. :bonk: