tail light options

I have been reading some threads about the rear tail lights. I hear about the DRC and the BAHA options. Which is the better of the 2 designs? I do plan on mounting the turn signals on the rear fender near the license plate as well. Could you guys elaborate on the 2 types? Ease on install and could everyone include some pics, please. I keep hearing about the Edge? Do I need the edge 2 of the tail light holder? I know ones plastic and the other metal. Thanks

I installed a Baja tail light just yesterday. Easy installation, very clean looking light that fits in a UFO fender nicely. The light has a clean lens with red LCDs. Almost pinkish when brake is applied. I installed my signals forward on the fender near the seat but the plate holder has flat areas on the side to attach the signals very close to the taillight. Hope this helps. I can get a few pics tomorrow.

Ken

I think the EDGE is the one I need? Maybe? Where can I buy one at and does it have license plate illumination kights? I want it street legal for night rides. Does the BAHA?

I just helped with an install of the DRC edge, I got it for a buddy HERE. If you have questions just call and talk to Forrest, great service! Get the edge, NOT the edge 2.

Watch for a taillight post fron gunship426, we took some pics and he said he'd post it up.

I will say I was very impressed with it, nice light and bracket, absolutely worth the price too. By far the best looking taillight assy I've seen.

Doug

I think the EDGE is the one I need? Maybe? I want it street legal for night rides. Does the BAHA?

I too needed it to street legalize. Tha Baja has a row of lights for the plate. My Baja looks thinner than the DRC pics in this thread. I think they have 19 leds each so the lighting will be similar. The Baja is almost cat-eye and doesn't have the sharp edges as the DRC. I drilled 3 holes through the fender to attach it.

I'd say get whatever one is cheapest as I'm sure either will fit the bill and will look great.

Ken

Thanks, I will go with this one and call him in the a.m. How hard is the wiring? On my Ducati it alreay had quick disconnect for the rear lights and plates for track days? I assume thats to much to ask for these bikes then huh? O well. Alot of shrink wrap then.

I just finished installing two Edge2 tail lights on my 2 DRZ400S and took less than an hour. And Forrest is the man to talk to at Wheeling cycle supply. I am now ordering 2 sets of turn signals from him. Getting the new flexible ones.

I got the DRC light and flashers..smoked lens..very pleased with it so far..drz03.jpgdrz04.jpg

Thanks, I will go with this one and call him in the a.m. How hard is the wiring? On my Ducati it alreay had quick disconnect for the rear lights and plates for track days? I assume thats to much to ask for these bikes then huh? O well. Alot of shrink wrap then.

The wiring is easy if you can read the Japanese instructions that come with the kit.My DRZSM had 3 harness connectors under the seat,on top of the rear fender for the tail light and each turn signal.I cut them about 6" back and butt crimped,soldered ,heat shrunk and jacketed them for a clean factory- like appearance.You then rerun the wiring along the subframe like the original routing and secure with the reclosable cable ties on the bike.

As for the wiring;

Tail Light:

Red to White/Black Stripe

Yellow to Gray

Black to Black/White Stripe

Edited to add:

DRC LED Turn Signal Wiring;

Right Side:

Red to Light Green

Left Side:

Red to Black

First off...everyones lights look great!

I chose the Baja route. Now I read that it mounts nicely to a UFO fender....but on the stocker...I had to do some trimming. But it turned out well...keep in mind the Baja one is universal. I think thats why a majority of people go for the DRC one because its a pretty much bolt on deal.

and PS...the wiring it SIMPLE...we are talking 3 wires (ground, brake light, and running light). Just use a test light to find which are which.

And PS #2...The Baja taillight w/ flush mount signals (all LED), was about $80 shipped to my door.

Heres mine :excuseme:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Kenrock1000/MyDRZ004.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Kenrock1000/MyDRZ005.jpg

wheeling now has the edge for the drz400s it was discontinued in us but forrest has them from japan.i orderd it on thurs got it on mon.it bolts right on he includes directions in english,stickers,and a free gift.just 3 wires krimp conecters.

I think the edge does well on the "s" models due to the fender subframe. My "e" had no subframe below the rear fender, so the Baja Design was a better fit. I love it.

drzrear7zw.jpg

The DRC edge taillight bolts right up to existing holes on the rear subframe on the S. The wiring is easy, once you figure out which wire does what on the taillight. I cut the connectors a few inches toward the stock taillight and turn signals and attached the original units to the DRC taillight and turn signals - it makes them easy to remove. I made the connection by soldering and applying heat-shrinkable tubing to the splices, but you could use crimped connectors if you're more comfortable doing that.

If you can get your hands on a DRC 'Edge' from Forrest at Wheeling Cycle, you're all set - great looking unit, easy installation and the LED's should last the length of the bike and then some.

I like the edge as well, but I'm mainly concerned with durability. I ride mostly off road and my bike has narcolepsy, she tends to fall over more than others on the trail. Who makes the more durable light/signals?

Did you also go with the L shaped brackets that install the lights onto the sides of the plate? And what about the LED style bulbs? I thought that they flash ALOT faster due to less resistance.

I like the edge as well, but I'm mainly concerned with durability. I ride mostly off road and my bike has narcolepsy, she tends to fall over more than others on the trail. Who makes the more durable light/signals?

The Edge fits under the fender, comes with a metal frame and mount and seems very job-rated to me. It's certainly a lot more protected and low profile than the stock unit and that would tend to make it a lot harder to brush off. I would be more leery of one that only mounts to the plastic of the rear fender, that's for sure.

Did you also go with the L shaped brackets that install the lights onto the sides of the plate? And what about the LED style bulbs? I thought that they flash ALOT faster due to less resistance.

Yeah, I bought the L brackets from Wheeling Cycle as well as the model 610 (I think that was the model) LED turn signals. They flash faster than the stock units, but it's kind of annoying and attention getting and in my experience, that's good! If someone notices that my turn signal is on because it has a somewhat hyper flash rate, it got them to notice it.

If you want to slow them down to a more standard rate, it's my understanding that you just incorporate a 200 ohm resistor in the wiring to each signal. I haven't tried that yet, but it would be easy enough to experiment with and I really don't mind the faster rate. They're small units, but they're certainly bright enough.

By the way, the L brackets come in pairs - you don't need to order 2 unless you really want two pair. Don't ask me how I know...

Take a look at my setup. No lights hanging off the side.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=21067