Travel Trailers?

I found this site on Google when I searched for travel trailers vs. toy haulers and that thread has a lot of good info. :excuseme:

I was looking at toy haulers, but I think I can get away with a travel trailer instead. I only have a TTR-125 and a Blaster and hauling it with the Avalanche 2500 will not be an issue at all.

There are a lot of manufactures to choose from, just like toy haulers, and just when I thought I was set on a Ragen, I have to start this whole process over again. :bonk: Anyways, I am looking for a TT in the 20-25' range for about $15-20k. I know some TTs aren't built for "off-road" use, so I want to stay clear of those. I know some of you guys here have TTs and take them "off-road". Which model, brand do you have and how do you like it so far?

At a campground this weekend I was talking to a guy who bought a tt and was hauling bike and quad in back of his truck. What he has discovered so far is that a tt has only 1/3 the water capacity (runs out after a couple of days whereas we can go a week if we conserve [wife still has to have her shower every day]), he has to haul his generator around so it has to go into the living area of the trailer or in the back of his truck (needing to gas it up regularily it seemed and it was very noisy compared to the onan built in), he has to unhook every time to unload, has to haul gas cans for bike, quad, and generator, and my built in 240 watt exterior stereo kicks ass on his ghetto blaster.

Then you can see his 26' trailer has 15" wheels on 4000 # axles versus my 24' rage'n with 16" wheels on 6000 # axles with shocks. To be fair most of the other TH's that I looked at have 15" wheels too but most were on a set of 5000 # axles.

I agree, look at what kind of camping you're going to do. We absolutely LOVE our new Rage'n. I had rented Fun Movers in the past (motorhomes w/ a garage in back) and my biggest complaint was the TINY water tank. If you're going to be out in the middle of nowhere, water is a big deal. The Fun Movers were a 40-60 gallon tank and the Rage'n is 150.

You'll probably pay more for a toy hauler, but it may be worth it. Especially if you end up taking friends/more toys with you....

If you always camp, or do the majority of your camping with your bikes, then its worth getting a toy hauler. However if your like my family, which camps more without the bikes then a tt was my best choice. For the same money you can get a larger tt, with a slide.

Bikes aren't the only things that can be/are transported in a toy hauler, we have been taking our boat with us lately since I'm not able to ride yet. When I start riding again (going to be fairly soon) then I've figured out a way to take the boat and bikes at the same time.

Three of the biggest reasons I like our TH is that it has a built in gen set which is not something even offered as an option on a 24' TT (and the requisite fuel station to go with it [40 gallons]), the 150 gallons of fresh water and the 58 gallon grey and black holding tanks, and the 6k axles with 16" rims with commercial tires which is also something not even offered as an option on a smaller TT.

Right, but again unless you dont stay at a campground with hookups you dont need that much water or holding tank. And none toyhaulers dont need that much axle and tire. The fueling station would be nice, but just how much gas gas do you go through? 40 gallons would last a long time in bikes?

Right, but again unless you dont stay at a campground with hookups you dont need that much water or holding tank. And none toyhaulers dont need that much axle and tire. The fueling station would be nice, but just how much gas gas do you go through? 40 gallons would last a long time in bikes?

Hossy - a lot of these guys find a spot in the desert and set up shop- i.e. no hookups or water supply. :ride:

Hossy - a lot of these guys find a spot in the desert and set up shop- i.e. no hookups or water supply. :ride:

Very true. Not arguing here, no desert in ther midwest.

In reality most if not all TH need this kind of axle/tire combo, they are taller than most TT's and tend to be built a bit higher off the ground for clearance on poor roads. My trailer empty, as in off the lot with 1/2 tank gas, full propane, but no water weighs in at 7400#. Add in the water and the rest of the camping gear and we are at over 9000#. Add another thousand for the bikes and gear and I'm over 10k. I personally would prefer to run a set of 6k axles at 80% capacity then run a set of 5k right at max. I have a nice, well controlled tow with minimal sway and wallow.

There are a lot of riding areas that allow dispersed camping at the staging areas, very few have any kind of amenities aside from a pit toilet. In fact, from what I've seen, you'd be hard pressed to find a riding area that has a campground close enough to ride out of that had full hook ups. Then there is the feature that I don't have to camp 20 feet from someone else just so I can stay more than a night or two.

Last weekend we really hot and so even though we didn't have any hookups, we did have a really nice lake with rainbow and bull trout :ride:, we were still able to beat the 100* temps in the afternoon by kicking back in our airconditioned trailer courtesy of a 5.5kw onan genset. Turns out that in the 3 nights/4 days that we were out we used approx 8 gallons of gas for the generator. It also allowed us to do a lot more exploring then would otherwise have been possible, right now I'm not able to ride so we take our truck out. You'd be amazed at how fast you can go through 30 gallons in a one ton v-10. We didn't have to worry about whether we had enough gas to get back, and around here we can easily get an hour away from a station.

I found this site on Google when I searched for travel trailers vs. toy haulers and that thread has a lot of good info. :ride:

I was looking at toy haulers, but I think I can get away with a travel trailer instead. I only have a TTR-125 and a Blaster and hauling it with the Avalanche 2500 will not be an issue at all.

There are a lot of manufactures to choose from, just like toy haulers, and just when I thought I was set on a Ragen, I have to start this whole process over again. :ride: Anyways, I am looking for a TT in the 20-25' range for about $15-20k. I know some TTs aren't built for "off-road" use, so I want to stay clear of those. I know some of you guys here have TTs and take them "off-road". Which model, brand do you have and how do you like it so far?

we have an 06 fleetwood orbit 29' and it is a great trailer but were thinking we can get by with a lesser trailer.i have it listed in the classifieds if your interested.

we have an 06 fleetwood orbit 29' and it is a great trailer but were thinking we can get by with a lesser trailer.i have it listed in the classifieds if your interested.

Do you have a link to it? Thanks

for pics or for the ad?the ad is here on thumpertalk,just go to the top of the page and click on classifieds.i can email you a pic or you can go on fleetwood.com :ride:

I have buddies with TH and I have 31' Fleetwood bunkhouse TT. I agree that it really depends on what type of camping you do. If we are on the highway and want to pull off to sleep at a rest area or truck stop there is no unloading the bikes. When the weathers bad outside there is plenty of comfortable room inside to hang out. But it does have its pitfalls. I pull with a shortbed F250 and sometimes it is a puzzle putting 3 bikes a generator and extra fuel in for a week trip in the Arizona woods (when there not closed). The best thing about the bunk house model is plenty of sleeping room so when we get up in the morning we do not have to convert the trailer from beds to a kitchen and then to a living room.

In reality most if not all TH need this kind of axle/tire combo, they are taller than most TT's and tend to be built a bit higher off the ground for clearance on poor roads. My trailer empty, as in off the lot with 1/2 tank gas, full propane, but no water weighs in at 7400#. Add in the water and the rest of the camping gear and we are at over 9000#. Add another thousand for the bikes and gear and I'm over 10k. I personally would prefer to run a set of 6k axles at 80% capacity then run a set of 5k right at max. I have a nice, well controlled tow with minimal sway and wallow.

There are a lot of riding areas that allow dispersed camping at the staging areas, very few have any kind of amenities aside from a pit toilet. In fact, from what I've seen, you'd be hard pressed to find a riding area that has a campground close enough to ride out of that had full hook ups. Then there is the feature that I don't have to camp 20 feet from someone else just so I can stay more than a night or two.

Last weekend we really hot and so even though we didn't have any hookups, we did have a really nice lake with rainbow and bull trout :ride:, we were still able to beat the 100* temps in the afternoon by kicking back in our airconditioned trailer courtesy of a 5.5kw onan genset. Turns out that in the 3 nights/4 days that we were out we used approx 8 gallons of gas for the generator. It also allowed us to do a lot more exploring then would otherwise have been possible, right now I'm not able to ride so we take our truck out. You'd be amazed at how fast you can go through 30 gallons in a one ton v-10. We didn't have to worry about whether we had enough gas to get back, and around here we can easily get an hour away from a station.

My point is that toyhaulers need the heavier axles due to the higher wieght capcity, my 32 foot TT wieghs less than your 24 toyhauler.

Here in missouri we have two off road parks, st joes, and finger lakes state parks, as well as chadwicks. They both have campgrounds in the park that you ride from your campsite to the trails. Full shower house, restrooms, dump station, fresh water, paved sites with 50 amp electric. Guess i'm just lucky, throw the bikes in the back of the truck, hookup and go.

I think TH also have a nich for those with SUV's and do not want to buy/ trade for another vehicle. That is the situation we are in.

Also a TH gas station can also run your generator so no worries about filling it... :ride: