Does this sound like "headshake"?

I get this "shake" for a lack of a better description. It's hard to discribe. I can feel it all the way up to the handlebars, it's not constant but it starts and stops about every 2 seconds. I can see the front forks actually move,, like they vibrate for a second and stop. This is right at the axle, bottom of the forks. At first I thought it was due to the tires .. I should mention this is on the road at speeds anywhere from 50mph on. It will actually go away over 70ish. I have the Maxxis C6006 DOT 50/50 tires. I'm running 17.5 psi in them. Do you think this is a wheel balance thing? It's kinda what I'm thinking. Can you ballance these wheels?

06 525 EXC... I haven't touched the suspension settings except to make sure they were set at the defaults.

Whoa dude that's wayy tooo much air in those tires. For 125/250/250f/450 you want to run anywhere from 10-13 at most in the front tire and 9-12 in the rear tire. Having too much air pressure in your tires can cause the front wheel to slide around not gettin traction giving the impression that something is up with your forks... The reason for running so the pressure I showed is becuz as you riding the tubes heat up and add an average of 2-4 lbs of air pressure on top of what you started with... You can also have to much or not enough rebound.. Compression also plays a big role. Need the right amount to be stiff but not too stiff that it wants to deflect off the bumps instead of absorb them. Also not to soft becuz that also gives a bouncy feeling and sacrifice traction.... Your wheel bearings can also be outta grease thus making them wear down to the point where the wheel actually can wobble side to side in place.

Any time I've been on a bike that would shake You didn't have to ask if it was shaking or not YOU KNEW IT WAS! A bike will mostly shake on decel going through braking bumps and it will bang the steering stops on both side HARD and about the only way to get it to stop is to get on the gas hard and start your braking over Head shake is not a vibration, it is an oscillation You may have a out of balance wheel

BogDog gives a pretty fair analisis of head shake, it is one of those things that really gets your attention!

I have no experiance with that tire but kinda suprised by Honda28's pressure concern? (my dirt bike has 12, my street bike has 38 why would a dual sport not be in between?)

What I think you are seeing is just normal vibration of a big single causing the forks to flex. I have not had a single that does not do this on the road.

To balance the tire, just block the bike up, if the wheel moves to one location that tells you where the heavy spot is. Opposite, at the light spot take a roll of solder and wrap a spoke, then try again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ponch
      I have a 2007 450 EXC that I recently installed a new clutch slave cylinder on. Per the 2007 KTM service manual it clearly states that the clutch needs to be filled with hydraulic oil, which I did (magura blood). That was yesterday. I went out to double check the level today and when I removed the cover, the rubber seal was all contorted and out of shape. I then looked at the cover and it's a Brembo clutch and says "DOT 4 brake fluid only".
      I flushed the line and the master cylinder about 7 times with DOT 4 brake fluid and there was no sign of the magura blood left in the system. My question is: other than the rubber boot on the master cylinder, what damage might have been done by putting in the hydraulic oil? It was in for about 24 hours.
      Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By pumpernickelBrad
      Hi Folks!

Sorry if there are a bunch of threads already but I used the site's search function and didn't find anything so far...

I just found a decent deal on a '14 350 EXC-F with 11k km (unknown hours). Has a few goodies including skid plate, hand guards and it's for sale for about $2k CAD less than a '16 with 6k km on it.
      The bike is in showroom condition (appearance) with no indication it has been offroad at all.

What would be the gotchas that would make this deal realistic? I'm coming from a WR250R where the engine lasts forever, is 11k street kms high for these bikes? 
      Are there any big defects in the '14s that I haven't dug up yet?
      With no service records what things should be done, checked, etc?
    • By Brannnt
      I purchased an '06 525 EXC some time ago, and recently pulled the motor out of the frame to address some other issues. When I removed the clutch slave cylinder, I noticed an issue the previous owner neglected to tell me about during the purchase.
      It appears that at some point, the chain broke and damaged the engine case near the clutch slave cylinder (see pics, please). I have noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage (bike lurches a bit going into gear, neutral is hard to find... its worse when engine is cold) ... I did not notice any leaks around this area (mineral oil or engine oil) before or during disassembly. 
      The previous owner (or someone) repaired it with some sort of epoxy.
      Without doing my due diligence (checking clutch fluid level, bleeding) I hesitate to state that this is the cause of my clutch disengagement issue ... but pardon my ignorance here and help me out: How bad is this?  Am I looking at replacing my engine case here or is the previous owner's jerry rig good enough?

• By Black Sox
      Just bought a new 2017 350 excf ,will be doing 98% off road ,ordered skid plate bark busters ,
      my ? Is what's the best easiest way to eliminate rear fender light assembly.I still would like to have a break light.
      xcf fender will fit so dealer says,under $50.00 👍But xcf brake light $125.00 .👎What's the best economical way of doing this?
    • By JNV
      Hi friends from Spain.
      Mi new KTM