Sign in to follow this  

2001 wr250f

so i just got back into riding and took my wr out today, drove great had a lot of fun unitl i took a break and then went to start it and couldnt get it started.. anyone who has had a 2001 or earlyer wr knows they can be hell to start at times, so my question is is there anyway to put a push start on it?.. any kits?.

you dont need to a kit to push start it. all you need to do is put it in gear (i usually use 2nd), then pull in the clutch and roll it until youre at a decent speed. dump the clutch and it should start right up.

Was it your very first ride on it??? If so just get used to the starting procedure and you'll be fine, and for bump starting it get rolling down a hill dump it into 2nd and if it doesnt go pull in your decompression and it'll start right up, I also have an 01 wr you just gotta get the starting procedure down

so i just got back into riding and took my wr out today

How long had it set? When I got my 02 it had set for quite a while and the carb had to be cleaned out before it would start reliably at all. Start good several times and run great for a while then all of a sudden, no start.

You may have a gunk ball (or 2) clogging up the works. Even though it costs more, I don't think gasoline is what it used to be.

The cam makes it a lot easier, more convenient.

True but if it were me Id rather keep my money then buy a cam and pay for it to get put it in, and learn how to start the bike properly so i can use the extra cash on some new bars or something :excuseme:

Install the cam,,its worth it,,and its easy to install,,But if you never had a problem starting then tour trouble could be something eles ,,drain the old gas and clean your carb for starters,,that gas can goo things up if it sits too long

Maybe during your break you forgot to turn the gas off. I alway turn mine off during long breaks. Or maybe you didn't use the hot start to restart the bike.

Maybe during your break you forgot to turn the gas off. I alway turn mine off during long breaks. Or maybe you didn't use the hot start to restart the bike.
Just curious but whats the point of turning the gas off other then when transporting or working on ?? :excuseme:

just so that none of it drips through the fuel lines and gums up the carb. if i know im going to be storing a bike for a while i turn off the fuel and then start it. i just wait until it dies to know that the carb is nice and dry. dont know if it messes up the bike or not but ive never had any trouble, and the bike im ridin right now is 24 years old.