Before the jump

Hey guys...Ive been riding for about 2 years, mostly trailriding, but now I am on a 125 and I can say that ive improved alot..

The thing is, what do I do with the throttle before the jump

I tried holding it wide open, and that kept on making my back end fall

Then, say The jump is 2nd gear pinned to clear it, I would pin it 2nd gear before the jump, and then let off the throttle about 10-15ft before the jump, and just blip it a few times, but this sent me nose diving sometimes...

So what is the right way to gas it while going/ while on the jump

Hey guys...Ive been riding for about 2 years, mostly trailriding, but now I am on a 125 and I can say that ive improved alot..

The thing is, what do I do with the throttle before the jump

I tried holding it wide open, and that kept on making my back end fall

Then, say The jump is 2nd gear pinned to clear it, I would pin it 2nd gear before the jump, and then let off the throttle about 10-15ft before the jump, and just blip it a few times, but this sent me nose diving sometimes...

So what is the right way to gas it while going/ while on the jump

Steady on the throttle all the way up the jump, then let off once you are in the air. :excuseme:

You can stay pinned all the way off the jump you just have to compensate with your body. You can jump off most lips with zero throttle just have to once again compensate with your body weight/position. Certain jumps such as kickers however will kick your back end way up so you have to be on the gas.

I've found that it depends on the jump. Sometimes I even coast small jumps.

I usually keep a steady throttle, tho. Be ready to always compensate with your body and always try different things! What I do everytime I ride (I've only been in MX for like a month) is go to the track and do a couple slow laps rolling all the jumps... That way I "study" the different shapes of the track and then I can adjust.

Practice, practice, practice =)

Nico

but wont it make your bike flip if you keep the thottle open?and when you say open do you mean fully or shut of abit before the jump. say i was comin to a jump and i was full thottle do i keep it full thottle off the jump or do i shut of abit? hope you get what im tryin to say :excuseme:

Imagine your in your car about to go up a long hill, if you hold a constant throttle the car is going to lose speed as it is trying to overcome the slope of the hill. Unless you accelerate harder the car will lose speed because of the slope on the hill.

Its the same when you jump, the bike needs to overcome a slope and therefore needs a slight increase in throttle on the take off ramp to overcome the ramp itself.

It all depends on your technique and the jump you are facing i guess. Each to their own. Practise, practise, practise.......... As long as you dont shut off before you take off (nose dive style) you will be good. :excuseme:

but wont it make your bike flip if you keep the thottle open?and when you say open do you mean fully or shut of abit before the jump. say i was comin to a jump and i was full thottle do i keep it full thottle off the jump or do i shut of abit? hope you get what im tryin to say :excuseme:

The bike will flip if your on the jump face and you hammer the throttle wide open, instead of causing a wheelstand - because you are on the jump face your wheelstand turns into an air wheelie and you are in all sorts of trouble.

If you had 3/4 throttle in say 2nd and you are hammering at a jump you will need to slightly roll on a little more on the jump face to launch perfectly, some call it a blip. A blip being that you slightly open the throttle a little more just before you jump to keep the bike driving forward and perhaps preventing a nose dive.

Just my 2cents worth. Have fun.

i can jump right but i just wasnt to sure if i was doin it the right way if you get me. what i do is power it upto the jump then shut of just before i go to take of am i doin it wrong then? as i have said before do you lot keep the throttle open abit comin of the face of the jump. thanx

Jumping techniques are different on 2 smokes and 4 strokes. Letting off the gas on a 4 stroke while the bike is still on the lip is just asking to nosedive as the engine braking of a 4 stroke motor is quite powerful. On a 2 stroke it doesnt matter as much. To properly learn to jump a 4 stroke, start on a jump with a long run up where you can reach the speed necessary to clear the jump, and hold that speed constant off the lip with constant throttle application, whether that be 1/4, 3/4 or whatever. Once clear of the lip, ease off the throttle if you have good trajectory, or chop it and apply a little back brake if you are flying too much nose high. And always remeber to roll on the throttle as you land whenever possible.