What not to do to your DRZ

I bought a new 400s in November, and not knowing what the heck I was doing, I started modifying the bike to be more of an offroad machine. It all backfired by turning the DRZ into a horribly dangerous bike to ride (violent headshake) . Here's what I had done:

Michelin AC10 front tire

Adjusted race sag to 110mm

Changed to 14T CS sprocket

Today, I made the following changes in this sequence and tested the bike after each step:

Changed AC10 to Dunlop 606 (huge improvement - no violent headshake)

Change race sag to 100mm (noticeably less headshake)

Put stock 15 t CS sprocket back on and readjusted chain (a lot more stable - tracks straighter at higher speed)

The bike is much easier to ride now. I was ready to sell it before today's changes.

You increased the rake by lowering the rear,, and head shake is common when making that mistake.

Tires are tires,, different patterns,designs and pressures will take a bike from sweet riding to unusable.

Gearing has nothing to do with

(a lot more stable - tracks straighter at higher speed)
See the above for the reason it tracks straighter :excuseme:

Good to see you realized some of your mistakes,, and made the bike ridable for you again... Funny how Modding goes,, those same"mistakes" are probable the "hot set up" for another rider :bonk:

Interesting... I found my S a little easier to ride w/ a 14t front sprocket. Good to know about the tires! I still have the stockers & looking to upgrade soon.

You increased the rake by lowering the rear,, and head shake is common when making that mistake.

Tires are tires,, different patterns,designs and pressures will take a bike from sweet riding to unusable.

Gearing has nothing to do with See the above for the reason it tracks straighter :excuseme:

Good to see you realized some of your mistakes,, and made the bike ridable for you again... Funny how Modding goes,, those same"mistakes" are probable the "hot set up" for another rider :busted:

I run the AC10s and they work pretty well over here....I used to have head shake problems but it was as said above.....more to do with sag. :bonk:

Ummm what am I missing?

When you lower the rear rake angle increases as does trail, the bike gets more stable. The handling slows down. When you raise the rear you reduce rake angle and trail and the bike gets more unstable. The handling gets faster. Headshake is associated to lower rake angles with less trail :excuseme:

I think you just had a bad tire for your use.

If 10mm of sag is that big a deal your boy needs to go on a diet. Countershaft sprockets have no effect on handling, other than maybe the gyroscopic force of the crank at a different rpm.

A Scotts or GPR steering stabilizer is well worth the considerable expense. I consider a stabilizer mandatory on any hard ridden off road bike.

i changed my 05 SM to offroad....works fine??? so far i have put E model wheelset on, and during the week will be changing the rear sprocket to a 46T and adding a bashplate.....

AC-10 seems fine on my DR-Z s, on the street, and the dirt. I would guess the 606 to be better on road as posted in this thread...

Did you balance the front tire? That MAY cause a minor handling problem. Just a wee bit.

Put stock 15 t CS sprocket back on and readjusted chain (a lot more stable - tracks straighter at higher speed)

There is a small possibility if you changed it from 16 to 15, not from 14 to 15.

The further the chain reaches, the further back your wheel is from the front. That will also make the bike track more stable.

You could add two more shakles (or simply a longer chain) if you would like it even more stable...

Noppy