buying a new bike whats your opinion xr650l or drz400

I'm planing on buying a new dual sport very soon. It's a toss up between the XR650l or the DRZ400s. I plan on doing more dirt rideing than street. I have to consider that I'm 6ft 6 300 lbs. What are your opinions on either of these bikes?

much appreciated

I have a DRZ and my friend has a XR650L, which I've ridden often. At your size and weight, you'll need to do suspension mods on either bike.

The XR650L is heavy, the gearing isn't well spaced for the dirt, the stock suspension is too soft for the dirt, and the motor is a blast. All that torque is just plain fun. It's an old air cooled motor that has a reputation for running too hot in the head area.

The DRZ is more modern by comparrison: water cooled motor, lighter, better brakes, and much better gearing for the dirt and street. But at 300 lbs, the motor might be a little weak for you? There are some mods you can do, but a 650 is always going to be a big-easy motor to ride.

My friend is selling his 650L because he bought a used XR400R for the dirt, and likes it better on the road also. Want to make a trip to Salt Lake City for a low mileage XR650L?

I haven't riden an XR, but I have a DRZ S. I really like the bike. I'm 6' 1" & 245 & it fits me good. Plenty of power for commuting & trail riding. It gets a consistant 50 mpg, even after rejetting, 3X3 mod & a 14t front sprocket. It'll cruise 70-80 mph no problem & pull wheelies in 3 gears. I'm no pro rider. I don't race or MX at all. I ride the bike to work almost every day. I've riden it on the freeways around San Antonio with no problem keeping up with (or out running) traffic. It'll putt around town with ease. The seat is a little uncomfortable on long rides. The tank is only good for 100 miles till reserve. The stock tires are pretty good on the street, but kinda squirley on the dirt. It's a great ride & priced pretty good too. Plus, this forum is a treasure trove of knowledge. I don't think either bike would be a bad choice, I liked the blue & my dealer had one for $4400.00. That was the deciding factor for me. I visited this forum a few times before I bought, so TT helped in the decision as well. Good luck!!

If your going to be riding mostly dirt, go with the DRZ. The XL is a pig on the trails...however the XL would probably be a good choice if your only going to ride hard top. :excuseme:

I sell motorcycles, I seriously try to get my customers on the right bike. I don't care if you weigh 600 pounds and are 5'5" if you are riding offroad get the DRZ400, it is faster than the Honda 650 either one actually. You can not imagine the numerous times I have had to explain why a 400 can be faster than a 650. "how many cc's does it take to make a horsepower" yes someoane asked me that. but I am just a stupid salesperson. What do I know, ask your "IT" guy what bike to get..... :excuseme:

Wait a second, I am an "IT" guy and I still think the drz is a good bike :excuseme:

IMHO get the bike that feels most comfortable for you. While I love my drz several of my associates feel just as strongly about their xr650ls. Of course for the lumbering, outriggerish (yall know what I mean) riding they do the 650s suit them.

I rode both, then bought the DRZ 400. The bike is awsome on the road or in the dirt. The xr is a good bike too and you may like it better. Aren't choices fun?

I have owned both bikes, my Honda was an 05, my current DRZ is an 04.

If your dirt riding is mostly graded dirt roads not trails I would go with the Honda, for me it had a better seat and was a lot more comfortable to ride. Put an oil cooler on it and re jet it and it will last forever.

I ride enough single track trails that the 650 was just too heavy. So for me the DRZ is the better Dual Sport.

Something to consider is the type of motor you want. I have a green DRZ400 & this thing loves to rev. All my other 4strokes had most of there power at the bottom end, but the DRZ400 is more like a 2stroke redlines at about 10,000rpm. I bet the 650 cant do that.

I have a 06 400s and a klx 650r, the off road version of the klr. I love the drz. just the weight savings means alot. :excuseme:

The DRZ400 is the best of both worlds, :excuseme: the 650 was too heavy off-road, lots of power for the streets.

The XR-L is a better choice for street riding with occasional forays into the trails. The DRZ is a better choice for trail focused riding with occasional forays onto the street. The XR has more low end torque, the DRZ has much better suspension. Both make approximately the same peak hp in stock form.

In stock form the DRZ-S motor is very tame power wise. With just a few mods that are well documented on this board, it becomes one of the great trail bike motors of all time. Snappy vibration free mid range power with lots of revs on top for those times when you don't feel like or can't shift.

Buy a DRZ, have the suspension stiffened up for your size, put an FCR carb on it from the "E" model and go ride. You will love it! :excuseme:

More dirt = DRZ

More street = XRL

I had the same dilemma and a wise salesperson (is there such a thing?) asked me this? Who do you ride with and what do they ride? The buds were all riding 2 stroke 250s and 4 stroke 450s, he said go with the DRZ, I did and never looked back. A new friend has a brother with the KLX and was trying to talk me out of it, until he rode the DRZ. Now he loves it, so much lighter, easier to mod.

You just can't ride it 2 hours unless you have an iron butt.

BTW, I'm 6' 4" and 365. :excuseme:

Good luck to ya buddy! I spent hours here. :excuseme:

I have put about 15000 miles on several XR650L's and about 2000 miles on DRZ's. Done about everything to the 650L including 675 kits, cams, exhausts.....still works out to be the same, one big top heavy outdated pig. It was a great dualsport in its day, unfortunately, that was back in the early 90's. Personally, I would rather purchase the DR650S than a XR650L. The DR has a better motor from experience, and a few bucks in the suspension department will cure it's shortcomings considerably. I would definitely try to sell you a DRZ despite the fact that I don't work for a Suzuki dealer. Suzuki has been in the forefront of dualsport excellence for quite some time. My money goes to them for the effort in which most manufacturers ignore....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By RockyMtnMark
      Good Morning,
        Last night I measured my valve clearances for the very first time (I know...) on my DRZ400S.  It's a 2002 and I've owned is since 2011.  I bought it with t's got about 15,000 miles on it and most of it's miles these days are on dirt.
      Intake specs are 0.10-0.20 mm.  Exhaust specs are 0.20-0.30
      My intake valve clearances are in spec, forgot to write them down.  My exhaust valve clearances are between 0.1778 and 0.2032 which is slightly out of spec.  They are no more than 25 microns out of spec.  My question is, do I really need to shim these?  Will this kind of out-of-spec cause performance, mechanical, or other losses?  As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy a whole shim kit which is like $80.  Thanks!
    • By Zach440
      Selling my 2009 Drz400sm. Been a great bike but it’s time to let go . Not looking for any trades - spring is just around the corner ! Located in northern Virginia . Cash only $4200- willing to negotiate I have some wolfman luggage options available as well. Love to make a package deal for someone 

-11640 miles . Mild off-road never wrecked.
      -Oil / filter changed every 1500 miles
      -New did chain , brake pads , front sprocket at 10400 miles .
      - valves checked and within spec at 10,000
      - jetted with JD kit and 3x3 mod
      -doubletake mirrors
      -waterproof usb wired and located next to Speedo
      - drc large foot pegs , barkbusters with integrated turn signals . 12oclocklabs tall delete with upgraded circuit board
      -thumpertalk case savers
      -sergeant seat (amazing) and Clarke 3.9 tank (190mile range )
      - fog lights wired in so they shut off with high beams
      -Shorai lithium battery
      -led headlight

- stock gas tank and seat will be included

The bike is dirty in photos and I apologize my water is currently disabled outside due to freezing temps . Radiator guards and skid plate NOT included but can be for some extra $$. Rear tire could be replaced but front is fine .
    • By tplayer100
      Currently have a 2000 drz400s work stock suspension. From my understanding this is the worst suspension the drz ever came with without even rebound damping adjustment. Therefore I'm looking for a upgrade. I'm seeing three approaches to take. First being a newer year s model suspension with dampening adjustment. A SM model USD forks and triple tree or some USD forks and triple tree from a rmz. So if you were going to upgrade what direction would you go. I currently ride off-road mostly but I do have some 17s for on road with as well so have to keep that in mind. Thanks
    • By drzvfr
      I did the fix last night and took some pics and notes to make this easy on people that haven't done it and want more detail. Please chime in if you think I've missed something.
      Required Tools:
      Set of Allen wrenches
      #3 Phillips screwdriver
      small flat head screwdriver
      8 & 10 mm sockets
      13 mm open end wrench (I needed this to remove my skid plate)
      snap ring pliers
      gasket scraper
      compressed air
      Required Parts:
      New clutch cover gasket, Suzuki Part # 11482-29F00
      Tube or can of RTV sealant
      Oil filter and oil (if you plan to change the oil)
      1. Remove your skid plate (if you have one). I have a Tonn's skid plate and it was in the way.
      2. Remove right side radiator cover.
      3. Unbolt the rear brake lever. This will require removing a cotter pin on the backside of the bolt, and then the bolt itself. I was able to swing the lever far enough out of the way without completely removing it from the bike (see pic).

4. Drain the coolant. This requires removing the radiator cap and the small bolt on the water pump, which has an aluminum washer on it. I rocked the bike from side to side to get most of the coolant out of the bike.
      5. The oil, two options here. You can either drain the oil and remove the oil filter or you can do what I did which is lay the bike on its left side to keep the oil from pouring out of the engine when you remove the clutch cover. I still removed the oil filter so I could clean the clutch cover with brake clean after scraping the old gasket off.
      6. Loosen the hose clamp on the coolant hose that attaches to the top of the water pump and fold the hose out of the way.
      7. Remove the water pump cover and the clutch cover by removing the bolts holding them on. Note that some of the bolts are of different sizes so keep track of which hole you pulled them from. Also, not all of the bolts need be removed, see the pic below.

8. Remove the old gasket from the clutch cover and/or the engine with your gasket scraper. I then cleaned the clutch cover with brake cleaner as it was fairly oily.
      9. With your snap ring pliers, remove the snap ring from the plastic gear on the clutch cover seen here:

10. Remove the plastic gear.
      11. Push out the metal pin and remove the washer underneath as seen here:

12. With a screwdriver or whatever your preferred tool, remove the “E” clip as seen here:

13. After removing the “E” clip push the water pump shaft out of the clutch cover.
      14. You will now have the part in your hand that needs fixing. Remove the porcelain gasket at the bottom of the shaft by blowing it with compressed air. Don’t not pry it with a screwdriver as it could damage the gasket. Mine was stuck fairly well so I sprayed some WD-40 on first to loosen it up.
      15. If you used WD-40 clean the shaft and gasket with some brake cleaner and then apply the RTV sealant to this area (I reused this pic as its perfect):

16. Push the gasket back down flush on the shaft wiping away any excess RTV that may flow out.
      17. Reassemble the shaft into the clutch cover in reverse order as listed in steps 9-13.
      18. Place your new clutch cover gasket on the engine and then place the cover back onto the bike.
      19. Put the bolts back into the clutch and water pump cover and tighten equally. I could not find a torque setting for these in the manual so I snugged them evenly.
      20. Put the oil filter or a new one in the bike and put the oil filter cover back on.
      21. Re-attach the brake lever and tighten the bolt to 21 ft lbs. Be sure to install a new cotter pin on the backside of the bolt.
      22. If you drained your oil, refill the crankcase with the proper amount. If you didn’t drain the oil be sure you have enough in the crankcase from oil lost from removing the clutch cover.
      23. Let bike sit for 24 hours to let the RTV set up before adding coolant.
      24. Re-attach the coolant hose to the top of the water pump and tighten the hose clamp.
      25. Fill the radiator with a “Silicate Free” anti-freeze and put the radiator cap back on and tighten the radiator cap screw.
      26. Put the radiator cover and your skid plate back on the bike.
      27. You are done, go ride!
      This post has been promoted to a wiki
      Since I've been getting a few requests a week to e-mail the re-jet instructions word document (offered to send it to someone in old post that lives on) I thought I'd throw this post together. It is perhaps the one stop shop for 3x3 mod info: the master 3x3 post
      The 3x3 Mod
      So what is the 3x3 mod anyway? Well, this mod is basically re-jetting your carb and allowing it to run to its full potential. This mod can be done by even the most newbie of wrenchers out there. 3x3 refers to the size of hole that you will need to cut into the top of your airbox where your snorkel currently is. Don’t worry, you are not carelessly risking getting water into your engine by removing the snorkel. The bread and butter of the mod is the taper of new needle which you will get with your kit.
      Jet kits can be found through the TT here
      Scroll down to the bottom to find the right kit for your DRZ
      If you purchased a S kit for SM by accident don’t worry it will work (different jetting specs are used, just ask!)
      There are some great instructions outlining the procedure and here are two:
      bayoubikebruiser’s post is a nice one (Good Job BBB)
      Note that BBB followed the TPS sensor wire back and detached from the clip it there rather than removing the TPS off the carb.
      Another read is the attached word file (which i convereted to pdf and can be found here for your convenience) which has ‘been around the block’ to say the least.
      Sample Jetting recommendations (note: these are different for different elevations and different bikes)
      - 150 main jet (155mj for full exhaust system)
      - 25 pilot jet
      - 2nd clip on needle from top
      - 2.5 turns out on fuel screw
      - 140 – 142.mj (bigger for exhaust)
      - 25 pilot jet
      - 4th position from top
      - 2.5 to 3 turns out on fuel screw
      Burned’s fuel screw setting method:
      with the bike warm and idleing turn the fuel screw in till the idle drops/misses.then go back out till the idle peaks/smooths.
      this should happen between 1 and 3 turns out.
      if you end up at less than 1 turn you need a smaller pilot jet.more than 2.5 (or 3 turns on a cv) you need a bigger pilot jet.
      choose the appropriate size and retest.
      The 25 Pilot jet part number for TT is:
      So… now you have the info that you need, get to it! Your bike will sound better and rip a little faster; get ready to grin!