Sign in to follow this  

TT-R 250...Gone but not forgotten

Looks like Yamaha dropped the TT-R 250 from its US line up :excuseme: Yamaha could of made a killing in the full size "putt putt" bike catagory by redo-ing it since honda no longer makes the XR's but they just decided kill it.

Looks like Yamaha dropped the TT-R 250 from its US line up :excuseme: Yamaha could of made a killing in the full size "putt putt" bike catagory by redo-ing it since honda no longer makes the XR's but they just decided kill it.

XR + "New Honda" = CRF.

CRF50f. CRF70f CRF100f. CRF150f CRF230f. Same motors that have been around since the dawn of time, just the plastics and tanks have changed a bit. The only thing that doesn't mesh with the Honda marketing shift are the big XR650's.

XR + "New Honda" = CRF.

CRF50f. CRF70f CRF100f. CRF150f CRF230f. Same motors that have been around since the dawn of time, just the plastics and tanks have changed a bit. The only thing that doesn't mesh with the Honda marketing shift are the big XR650's.

I should have specified "XR" as XR 250 my bad. The only air cooled 250 thumper left on the market is the DR-Z 250 :excuseme:

Maybe they don't want to give the public the option of owning a "trouble free" playbike. Maybe they're not making enough money off parts and labor on these bikes. Just a thought. :excuseme:

Maybe they don't want to give the public the option of owning a "trouble free" playbike. Maybe they're not making enough money off parts and labor on these bikes. Just a thought. :bonk:

I gave my TT-R a bashing at carnegie this sunday that woulda had a CRF boiled over steaming on the side of the trail...that my friends is trouble free :excuseme:

I hate to hear that, the bike is such a great all around trail bike. I guess if I think back on it I shouldn't be surprised. I remember reading some post from England last year that the TTR250 was being discontinued there.

If Suzuki stops making their DRZ250 and DRZ400 along with Kawasaki's KLX300. Some people may have a rough time going from a 230 trail bike strait to a competition off road machine. I guess if that happens people that don't want a competition machine and people that need a longer transition period to feel comfortable on a race bike will have to buy used from then on out.

I have a hard time believing there isn't a market for 250 and 400 trail bikes. The manufactures have to know that there is a good size segment of riders that don't want a race bike for recreational riding.

Manufacturers will stop making trail bikes in due time. They'll force us to buy the competition bikes. Sad to see this bike go, just like Kawi dropped the KDX line......

That was another REALLY good bike for trail riding.

I wouldn't be surprised if TT-R 250 sales were cannibalizing WR 250f sales. I think the only reason suzuki hasn't killed off the DR-Z 250 and 400 is because they don't have enduro versions of the RM-Z 250 and 450.

I wouldn't be surprised if TT-R 250 sales were cannibalizing WR 250f sales. I think the only reason suzuki hasn't killed off the DR-Z 250 and 400 is because they don't have enduro versions of the RM-Z 250 and 450.

Have you seen the new WR250? It looks like Yamaha made it cheaper since there is no alternative bike now, unless I am retarded it looks like the shocks on to 07 are not fully adjustable anymore. They also reduced the size of the rotors front and rear, bike has less ground clearance, and is taller. Of course it has an aluminum frame now, new head and tail light along with a skid plate, but its only 1.1 lbs lighter and is about $300 more than the 06.

I compared the 2 bikes side to side and was like &%$#@! yamaha?

Sad to see the TTR 250 go it really had its niche covered.

I wouldn't think this is true. Haven't you read all the posts where someone asks about a TTR250 vs a WR250F? The overwhelming response is to spend the extra dough and get the WR250F. I think Yamaha gets feedback from the dealers on what sells and what doesn't.

Have you seen the new WR250? It looks like Yamaha made it cheaper since there is no alternative bike now, unless I am retarded it looks like the shocks on to 07 are not fully adjustable anymore. They also reduced the size of the rotors front and rear, bike has less ground clearance, and is taller. Of course it has an aluminum frame now, new head and tail light along with a skid plate, but its only 1.1 lbs lighter and is about $300 more than the 06.

I compared the 2 bikes side to side and was like &%$#@! yamaha?

The suspension is fully adjustable as is on the 06's. The new brake calipers are lighter. If they have the same stopping power, I would go for the 07 brakes. I don't need them that big in diameter in the dirt especially the rear.

The ground clearance and seat heights are a wash. Not enough to make me choose one over the other. The new front and rear lights are nice though.

If I was buying, I would go for the 07, unless the 06 was substantially cheaper (<$800). Since I already have an 06 (and an 04 TT-R250), I'm waiting a couple years after EFI comes out. What would that be, 2010?

I'm really shocked to see Yamaha dropped it. I bought a 05 late in 04 when I was getting back into riding with my boys. The bike has been absolutely stone cold reliable and a real pleasure to ride.

My oldest son recently inherited it after I sprung for a WR450. It's amazing to me that Yamaha feels the 230 can cover for this bike. I've ridden many, Yamaha's and Honda's and neither compare to the performance of the 250.

I'm glad to have it in my stable and will definately hold on to it.

The CRf230 makes the same power that the TTR250 did by the way. The TTR was full sized and to me, being fored into play bike size is a bummer. I put 47mm Showas and Works shock on my CRf230 and raised it 1 inch and lengthend the wheel base by 1 inch and raised the bars by 2 inches. Total hastle. The Honda aftermarket is alot bigger so I skiped theTR230. The CRf230 motor is new by the way. The whole bike is a brazilian street bike called the Tornado just repackeged, slightly. The gear box is horrid.

I prefer Yamaha too by the way so it was a tough decision. The Yamaha looks better built and higher quality. Really does. Is is built in Japan?

I almost bought the TTR250 but I saw the writing on the wall. I hate having a new bike out of production. One thing, the problem with water cooled race bikes that I seee, is what do you do on slow technical trails? Don't those things need air through the radiator like a shark needs water trough the gills? I suspect larger air cooled bikes will be back in 08/09.

Just curious why there is no TTR125/230 forum like the Honda portion has for the newer lineup.

Great, I have 45 miles on my new 06 ttr250. Does this mean parts will be hard to get in a few years? I'm just getting back into offroad riding and the 250 fit me a lot better then the 230 or even YZ125 did. Sad day for yamaha guys who love trail riding.

What it means is that aftermarket parts will be even harder to come by. No new developments, at least by U.S. companies for sure {As I understand it, these bikes have sold well outside the U.S.}. If you are going to mod your bike, do it now before production ceases on the aftermarket stuff.

As for Yamaha parts, it shouldn't be a problem. They will support for many years.

Yamaha must follow the sales lead. Unfortunately, some of their dealers weren't much help here. My local dealer told me last year that Yamaha didn't make a TT-R250, only a 230. When I showed them the brochures, they just said "Oh". The lower entry cost of the 230 combined with the appearance that it is only 20cc difference in power probably did the most damage.

But partly to blame here is the motorcycle magazines that promote the hottest race bikes. I get asked all the time what model it is because no one has ever heard of it.

What a lot of us want and need though are dependable bikes like the TT-R250. I really love mine. It does everything I need for it to do. Soft saddle for long rides, adequate suspension for varying terrain, plenty of grunt. Just what you need for woods and trail riding. And it feels like a real motorcycle, not a mini bike like the 230s. It beats the heck out of a TT-R230 or a CRF230. I ride with 4 guys with CRF230s and they are always complaining about the lack of suspension and thin saddle. Everyone loves my bike.

I agree. I have bottomed out the rear shock on my inlaws crf 230, he loves my bike too. The salesman I got mine from, talked me into a 250 because of the better suspension. He claimed that the engines are too alike in power to justify the price difference, but the suspension will let someone learning like me increase my speed with out needing to jump to a bigger bike. He told me the forks on the 250 are like stock forks on 80's era YZ's. :ride:

Bagger_Matt

If you haven't done any mods yet, think about putting on a pipe and rejetting. Check out this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339411&highlight=250

I have the pro-circuit pipe, rejetted carb (140, 52.5), pulled the snorkel out of the airbox, and put in a uni filter. Pipe is a lot lighter, sounds better, and it runs great (smooth controllable power still, just a little more). I also replaced the stock handguards with Acerbis Rally II (blue). Looks good and works a lot better than the stock ones. You can get all the stuff from ThumperTalk Store except the jets.

The CRf230 makes the same power that the TTR250 did by the way.

All things being equal, the TT-R 250 makes a more power than either the blue or red 230. The 230s are geared very low which makes it feel like it has the same pull as the 250 on the low end...but the 250 will walk away easily in every gear.