Dual Sporting the X

I'm thinking of dual sporting my X. What's to know? Kits? Experiences? Etc.

Don't worry. I'll use a full quart in the tranny.

Thanks.

:bonk: I don't think the transmission was made for duel sporting. I wouldn't waste my time on it. As much as I love Honda, I would buy a KTM EXC or a Suzuki DRZ. Because they're great dirt bikes??? NO! But because they would make a pretty decent duel sport machine.. That's my two cents,,, good luck too ya... :excuseme:

I am not planning on dual sporting the bike a lot. It would be an occasional thing, as I have some friends who have an idea to do this. I have no intention of going on long rides on the street or using the bike to commute. I've ridden my X on the highways in Mexico, and it's not my cup of tea.

:bonk: I don't think the transmission was made for duel sporting. I wouldn't waste my time on it. As much as I love Honda, I would buy a KTM EXC or a Suzuki DRZ. Because they're great dirt bikes??? NO! But because they would make a pretty decent duel sport machine.. That's my two cents,,, good luck too ya... :excuseme:

there's no differance between a drz tranny and a 450x tranny. drz does not have a cush drive hub just correct oil levals from the factory.my 450x is d/s and its fine little twitchy but there ain't no pig drz gonna keep up with me, proved that to my buddy on his camed,piped, and carbed drz oh ya i'm a 100lbs heavyer

I have many, many, many street miles on mine...........valves in spec! full quart in tranny! Its all GOOD!!!

That website has a 450x setup just the way I was thinking about doing. I don't want a commuter bike but this summer I have gone camping/riding with my family numerous times and had to jog a mile or 2 to get to the trails. I have been pulled over a couple times this summer and would like to allieviate that.

Mine is street legal with over 1,500 miles on it. No problems at all. Could use a larger front sporcket and/or a smaller rear though.

My X is street legal, well over 3000 miles on it now with zero problems. I run a quart on the tranny side.

I would suggest that you reroute the engine vent line from the right side of the bike, to the left side. I've found that if you are even just a hair over on the engine oil level, extended high speed (70 mph +) will blow oil out of the vent. If you leave it at the stock routing.........it blows right on the rear brake! I moved mine so it hits the chain;-)

Thanks for all the good input. Now if I can just justify the cost.

Thanks for all the good input. Now if I can just justify the cost.

What cost? Check your state, see if you are a "bare bones" state like AZ. There's a guy on Ebay that sells bare bones kits that he put together himself using a variety of off the shelf components, like the Baja Designs LED tail/brake combo etc. For a bare bones CRF450X, it's 135.00. This includes brake switch, tail/brake light, horn, and mirror. He does all the preliminary wiring, includes all the connectors, and provides ranger proof directions. It took me about 15 minutes to put it together. To justify the cost, just ride your CRF to work 2x a week for 2 months, that paid for mine;-)