DRZ 400-SM questions

Hey sup guys,

I currently have a KLX 250s that I have been riding, and its a great bike except in the street where it is lacking power for the roads. I recently bought a honda VTX 1300c for the streets, and while its a blast, I can't stand going up to the N. Georgia mountains and seeing all those Fire roads everywhere and not being able to ride them. So I think I am going to have to give up the VTX for a street capable dirt machine.

I have been looking at the Husky 610 SM. That thing looks sexy. Also I have my eyes on the Suzuki sm 400.

How well does the SM-400 handle fire roads?? I like to ride to North Georgia and get on the fire roads and ride those roads all day long. Will this do the fire roads with no problem, should I be worried about anything with this bike on the dirt, don's see why since you race them on dirt?? Will this thing go places that a KLR won't, I'm pretty sure it will.

Also, what is the top cruising speed on this thing without killing the engine. And does it have enough oomph left to pass cars at around 60 MPH. My KLX 250s will not keep a steady 70 MPH going uphill, it loses power in 6th gear and you have to downshift to 5th to maintain a cruising speed of 65 mph, will there be a problem like this with the Suzuki?

My opinion is you will be better off with a DRZ400S. The SM is a street bike. If you like a light weight bike with fat tires on dirt - OK. But what you are talking about is what the "S" was designed for. The S will run highway speed up to 90 no problem. You can run stock 15/44 final or 14/44 for a little more torque in the dirt and stil run 80 to 90 on the highway. Turns a lot of revs but you get use to it. Unfortunately no 6th gear. Take a look at SM race track surface, not much loose dirt. With dual purpose tires, the S does great on paved and dirt back roads, but is not a trail bike set up like that.

I went several miles down a one lane loose gravel road with my SM/stock tires,and it was like marbles on marbles.If you know what I mean.You have to go very slow and be extremely careful as the front end likes to wash.Definitely a situation for good knobby tires.If you decide to get an SM and do that kind of activity every so often,you might want to get a set of "S" wheels and tires.

Thanks for the replies fellows,

I guess I'm just so damned amazed by the looks of SM, I love the way those things look, but I also guess that it will not serve my purpose too much considering that I want to ride up to the mountains, which is an hour drive, and then get on all the dirt roads which can easily add up to over 70 miles. I know that there is the DRZ 650 and KLR 650, maybe my best luck would be the Husky TE 610, I don't know.

I have the KLX 250s, and while it has more then enough power for me in the dirt, the street is lacking in 6th gear. In the dirt the rear wheel easily roosters the hell outta dirt and will lose the grip rather quickly, so for me thats an indication that it has more then enough power.

I ride my SM on fire roads and trails up to medium difficulty with the SM wheels and stock dunflops without any real problems. Loose silty type dirt is a challenge but I would rather have the awesome SM ability over the slightly better dirt capability.

If I were you I'd get the SM but toss the stock street tires for some nice wide supermoto tires like Pirelli Scorpion Syncs or something more aggressive like Continental TC80's like here: Continental TC80

The S will be harder to ride at highway speeds for an hour each way! Ouch. My SM will accelerate very nicely at 60 MPH and I can get 95 MPH max for nice passing.

You can't go wrong either way in my opinion. You can buy the SM and get a set of wheels for off-road use, or buy an S and get a set of street wheels. Either way you get a great versatile bike despite the miniscule suspension differences.

You can't go wrong either way in my opinion. You can buy the SM and get a set of wheels for off-road use, or buy an S and get a set of street wheels. Either way you get a great versatile bike despite the miniscule suspension differences.

I believe that the suspension differences are significant. The inverted forks on the SM are some of the nicest forks found anywhere on a street bike and are far superior to the S forks. The front brakes are designed for the street and are huge and powerful. They are a little too much for the dirt, but who uses the front brake in the dirt anyway? These upgrades would cost a thousand $ or more for an S. (and I'm not even mentioning the huge cost for the trick wheels!)

My SM handles just fine on gravel. On looser stuff, sand for example, it is horrible. With the standard dunlops it was not that good on gravel but manageable. Now i have a soft compound rain tire on front and Avon Distanzia on back and it is much better on gravel and still offers plenty of grip on paved roads or track.