Sign in to follow this  

wife being deployed, 4-month son...

Just a general vote type question for everyone...Just found out last week that my wife, (officer in the NAVY nurse corp) is being deployed for a year. We have a 4-month old son also.

My question is this.....since she will be gone and I will basically become "Mr. Mom", would you stop racing, and continue to ride on weekends? Or would you stop riding all together?? the last thing I need at this point is to be hurt racing.....nobody to take care of my kid if that happens.

Im in a bit of a pickle over all this.....opinions??? :excuseme:

Pull the spark plugs, trash them, and be a father. Even light trail riding can lead to injury.

How can the mother of a four month old be deployed for a year? That boggles the mind, I would fight it tooth and nail.

4Takt

The well being of your son and family over-rides all. You are now the primary care giver to your son. Choice seems clear to me. :excuseme:

How can the mother of a four month old be deployed for a year? That boggles the mind, I would fight it tooth and nail.

4Takt

You sign the dotted line and you do what they say...Been there done that for 10yrs, glad to be out but glad I served also!

I for one would park the bike, your family is more important.

4Takt

Welcome to the military.

When you sign on that dotted line, you ARE signing your life away.

I was in the Navy. I doubt my CO (commanding officer) would be pleased if I told him my family will be disappointed if I have to go to sea AGAIN!

The option is to use cocaine, request a piss test, and get out!

May have to go to prison...but you will be out of the navy!

4Takt

What kind of question is that? :excuseme: So that scenerio is not OK but it is OK for a father of 5 children to be asked to serve on the front line? Either we have equality, or we don't.

If you look at it this way, you'll be home alot. Take the time to spend time with your son, and when he is sleeping, upgrade your bikes.

This is just my .02 on this....I don't say anyone has to agree with me but, you shouldn't have even had to ask this question. Family always comes first...period.

Your child is depending on you 100% at this point in his life and racing is a big commitment of time (not to mention the danger factor). The reality is you and your wife have a child, and now that your wife is being deployed (can't imagine how hard that would be... :excuseme: sorry)that baby is YOUR responsibility.

I would say don't race but, continue to ride. Just don't push it, like you usually would. Which I know is much easier said than done.

Besides, all of the responsibility stuff......your son will never be this age again (take full advantage of it)and while I know 1st hand that it's not the most glamorous job (taking care of a infant) but, I have a very close bond with my son, as I was his sole provider for his first three months. (My wife was laid up after having our son, she had two surgeries, 12 extra days in the hosp., couldn't lift our son, couldn't breast feed, and could barely walk. Basically, I was Mr. Mom and home health nurse)

One parting note, don't ever look back and say I wish I would have spent more time with my son.

Just a general vote type question for everyone...Just found out last week that my wife, (officer in the NAVY nurse corp) is being deployed for a year. We have a 4-month old son also.

My question is this.....since she will be gone and I will basically become "Mr. Mom", would you stop racing, and continue to ride on weekends? Or would you stop riding all together?? the last thing I need at this point is to be hurt racing.....nobody to take care of my kid if that happens.

Im in a bit of a pickle over all this.....opinions??? :excuseme:

Either hang your bike up for a year or find a smokin hot baby sitter.

I had just left the track after jump'n doubles & large table tops and was poop'n along maybe 5 mph just like a million times before. I had one hand on the throttle and my front wheel hit a clump of grass twisted the bar and basically I stepped off the bike and went down on my knee. When I went down I jabbed my left hand into the ground and for some strange reason it must have hit just right and shattered the bones in my thumb. That stupid little fall required surgery to my hand and I had to have it pinned for months.

See, you do not have to be racing to hurt yourself.

Children come first ,it's just a year spend the time with your son. Mom with be happier and more relaxed while away and she'll think your an angel for giving up your hobby for her and your son for a short time, besides look what she's giving up for a year.

:excuseme: By the way tell her, THANK YOU for her help serving our country. :bonk::busted::bonk:

Good post, TobyG.

Quit riding for an entire year? Sounds a little too safety conscious. Just stop racing, and do a casual ride once or twice a month (or you will go crazy). Enjoy spending time with the four month old, at that age they are too cute, cause in a year he'll be running and getting into every damn thing.

Any dad should know the answer to this question. It should be almost a natural instinct to give up a hobby to care for your flesh and blood.

Hopefully you really aren't torn about this issue, if you truely are I feel sorry for your son.

I had just left the track after jump'n doubles & large table tops and was poop'n along maybe 5 mph just like a million times before. I had one hand on the throttle and my front wheel hit a clump of grass twisted the bar and basically I stepped off the bike and went down on my knee. When I went down I jabbed my left hand into the ground and for some strange reason it must have hit just right and shattered the bones in my thumb. That stupid little fall required surgery to my hand and I had to have it pinned for months.

See, you do not have to be racing to hurt yourself.

Children come first ,it's just a year spend the time with your son. Mom with be happier and more relaxed while away and she'll think your an angel for giving up your hobby for her and your son for a short time, besides look what she's giving up for a year.

:excuseme: By the way tell her, THANK YOU for her help serving our country. :bonk::busted::bonk:

I was going to post just about the same thing, but wanted to correct one thing. Your wife is not giving up something for a year, she is giving this time up for good. She will never get it back.

SO, giving up riding to care for your child doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. I think you'll find that once your in full Mr mom mode, you won't have time or really want to cause you'll be beat already.

Thank your wife for me, and yourself for that matter, you both are giving up a lot for us. Her Army counterparts treated me well, I have nothing but respect.

Any dad should know the answer to this question. It should be almost a natural instinct to give up a hobby to care for your flesh and blood.

Hopefully you really aren't torn about this issue, if you truely are I feel sorry for your son.

I have already decided to myself that he is WAY more important than riding. I know that racing will be out of the question and I am fine with that, but I wont lie and say its an easy choice. Family definantly comes first! I just thank god that my mom and dad are here in Albuquerque to help. I might still trail ride once or twice during each month, but even then it will be to simply avoid the frustration and take a little break for myself. Either way I love her, I love my son, and thats the most important thing.

Go Mr. Mom! The time you get to spend with your son will be much better spent than riding. Plus, can you imagine how hard life would be for the both of you even if you just sprained your ankle or something? You are in a unique position and I suggest you capitalize on in. Most dad's don't get the chance to do the thing you are doing. I would stop riding all together, you kid is way more important.

MXOldTimer had the best response to your crazy question. Riding anything with a motor can be dangerous. If you're the only one there to take care of your son, you don't need to risk it. Freak things can happen and surely you don't want to put your 4 month old in a really bad situation. I'm sure your wife gave up things she enjoyed for the 9 months she was carrying your child and no doubt she will be giving up plenty of things she enjoys for the next year. So be the man you promised to be to your wife on your wedding day and give it up for a year.

id cut the riding down or maybe even stop, its not fair to the child if you get busted up and its Just hangin there with no one to help it

if you do decide to ride you better make damn sure theres a pic of him on your crossbar pad so you dont do anything stupid!

a year is a long time without riding but maybe you could get a 50 or something and just putt around on that