Sign in to follow this  

hard starting 2003 crf450r

Hey Guys,

A buddy of mine is having some issues with starting his bike once it gets warm. We hit the sand pit and woods couple of times and once it stalls it becomes a bear to start up again and takes a lot of kicking.

I'm thinking we look at valve clearance and check the carb out for beginners to know where his bike is currently setup. He got it late last year and has been out a few times this year but it's very frustrating for him.

I back tracked the forum for a few pages and did a search on start but it didn't yeild many hits. I regularly visit thumpertalk in another forum section and have found the folks here incredibly knowledgable.

If anyone has insight and can help us, we would certainly appreciate it. I thought about the Rekluse but would like to fixate on the starting at this point.

Thanks in advance,

spinblue

99% sure guess would be valve clearances and/or valves beyond shimming.

I have had my CRF for 3 seasons and evertime this problem occured, it has been valve related.

cold starting possible... warm starting just doesnt happen.

Then it's time to recheck the clearances.

I think you're right to check the valve clearance first. If your friend is new to the bike he might want to make it a habit to start the bike in neutral and always use the hot start.

IS it hard to start only when he stalls it or just any time he shuts it off? If it's only during stalls, then I would say he just needs to put the bike in nuetral and remember the hot start...if he does that then it should fire right up :excuseme: But if it's any time the bike is shut off, then I'd definitely check the valves. You might also check the decompressor clearance as well.

IS it hard to start only when he stalls it or just any time he shuts it off? If it's only during stalls, then I would say he just needs to put the bike in nuetral and remember the hot start...if he does that then it should fire right up :excuseme: But if it's any time the bike is shut off, then I'd definitely check the valves. You might also check the decompressor clearance as well.

"that's a pretty good piece of information there tater" :bonk:

I would guess the decomp clearance or exhaust valves need shimmed. Usually when the intakes go out of clearance the bike will not start cold, but will bump start. Then start with some effort while warm. It may be jetting and/or technique too.