Sign in to follow this  

Edelbrock pumper or Mikuni????

I've been seeing posts on the Edelbrock carb having issues with reliability / durability, specifically, the pumper system.

I'm about ready to spend for an edelbrock (all $400.00 or so) for a 30X32 mm edelbrock pumper for my '88 XR250R, but after reading posts recently, should I go with the Mikuni?

Will the Edelbrock give me issues with pumper, etc?

Who has some high time on their XR250R with a Edelbrock pumper (Flynall, where are you??) Is it a question of "if" or "when" it will give me issues?

I don't want to spend $400.00 if I know the thing is going to be a pos down the road.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Anyone know what the price is on the Mikuni for XR250R? Do they offer it in 32 mm?

Try the website for XR's Only. They have 32mm and 34mm kits. I have one on my XR250R and am quite satisfied. I can't say if it is better than the Edelbrock, or not, since I have never ridden a bike with an Edelbrock.

One of these threads asked about pictures of the Mikuni I am selling since I changed to a different setup. I cannot seem to find it now but anyway, here are the pics if someone is wanting one.

http://linux.krjohnson.com/web-report/carb-1.jpg

http://linux.krjohnson.com/web-report/carb-2.jpg

http://linux.krjohnson.com/web-report/carb-3.jpg

http://linux.krjohnson.com/web-report/carb-4.jpg

http://linux.krjohnson.com/web-report/carb-5.jpg

http://linux.krjohnson.com/web-report/carb-bottom.jpg

Hard to take pictures of shiny stuff. Flash bounces back.

After 10 years with XR400s and 1 year with an Edelbrock. Here are my opinions.

Pumper carbs increase throttle response if set up right. Pumper adjustment matters.

Edelbrocks quick adjust lets you make major "jetting" changes in seconds, but never seems to be exactly right, but good enough.

Edelbrocks are unreliable.

In 30 years of riding my XR400s (all 4) they are second only to my 1979 XR185 for the most reliable anything I ever owned. Once I put on the E- carb it became the most unreliable.

For more info see the DRZ400 and the XR650 forums.

'scott_01_xr400' - I'm interested...

I'm looking for a 32mm for my 250.

What size is your Mikuni?

Dale,

What was the problem with the Edelbrock?

I've had one on my 250 for 3 years, I have not had any issues.

My complaint with Edelbrock is more design issues, I don't like the Idle adjustment design or the custom throttle cables.

Dale,

What was the problem with the Edelbrock?

I've had one on my 250 for 3 years, I have not had any issues.

My complaint with Edelbrock is more design issues, I don't like the Idle adjustment design or the custom throttle cables.

4 pages on XR650 forum

Short version, the float sticks bad. Sticks closed, bike won't run, sticks open and bike floods or your gas drains on the ground.

I've used the Edelbrock for 4 years now and have had one inlet valve issue when it was new, I called Edelbrock and they paid all shipping/handling etc to fix it and I have not had any problems since. They are very good people to work with. The jetting adjustment is a screw device and I dont see how you could not get it adjusted right. Re-jetting for elevation changes is a snap and re-adjusting it back is just as simple. Did you just get tired of working with it? Is your pump set up right?

Dale,

Thanks for the link. After reading 2/4 pages I got the the gist of the topic.

Now that I have been made aware of the problem I hope it doesn't become a problem on my bike.

My carb should be the most abused of all. There are periods of time that the bike will just sit for months before being ridden. I leave the gas in the bowl. Lately I have been using the XR as a premix / race gas (Sunoco 100) eater. :ride:

Good luck with your bike.

If anything changes I'll post in this thread.

The 650 carb is a little different in design the inlet valve on my 650 would not work right unless it was left dry during storage. I did not send that one back to Edelbrock as they suggested as it was too much bike for my intended purpose anyway.

The 650 carb is a little different in design the inlet valve on my 650 would not work right unless it was left dry during storage.

My worked great for 1 year, then 1 day I rode into garage and the next day pulled it out and the float was stuck closed. 24 hours is not storage IMO.

My worked great for 1 year, then 1 day I rode into garage and the next day pulled it out and the float was stuck closed. 24 hours is not storage IMO.

Was the float sticking or the inlet valve? 24 hours would do it on the 650 carb it had small ridges machined into the inlet valve housing that the valve itself got stuck on. Strange your carburetor went bad in 24 hours though. Especially after a year of working great. Was it not repairable? Edelbrock will fix it for you if you contact them. Seems a waste to suffer with the stock carburetor after spending that amount of money not to have to use the stocker. Dont get me wrong, the stocker can be made to perform adequately but nothing like a pumper carb. On my bike it was like a night and day difference in performance after the addition of the Quicksilver carb.

First time I took it apart and found nothing. So the next time I drained the bowl after riding. Then the pumper wouldn't pump, which make it almost impossible to start. Once I got it running the pump worked. Then next time the float stuck open and drained gas on my driveway.

If Edelbrock wants to work on it for free I will send it to them, and maybe give it another try. Otherwise I am done with it.

Hello,

Have you already sold your mikuni carb? If not, was the carb for an xr250 or a 400, what size is it 34mm, 36mm, etc., and how much are you asking? Thanks for your time, and happy riding.