Sign in to follow this  

3/4" hose for powerwashing at track.

I purchased a water tank so I can Power wash my bike at the track. From what I know so far, everyone says the larger the diameter and the shorter the hose, the better. My 5/8inch diameter, 25 foot garden hose, does not bring much pressure to the power washer. Does anyone know where I can get a 3/4" diameter hose that is less than 25 feet in length. What are you guys using?

normally power washers use a pump (electric or gas driven) to bring up the water pressure which is sent through a high pressure water line to the nozzle. The supply line pressure doesn't need to be high at all.

Are you talking about an actually power washer or just some kind of nozzle/sprayer?

As long as the tank is higher than the washer you should be OK. Most people forget about the vent. The tank has to be able to breath, for water to leave the tank it has to have a way to pull in air to replace the water you took out. Without a vent you will pull a vacuum and and water can

t leave the tank. We use a 55 gal plastic tank that antifreeze came in. There are two large holes in the top of the barrel. Go to the hardware store and you can buy reducers to go from the large hole down to what you want to use. One of the holes will be the fill and vent and the other will be the output. You can rig it with a PVC valve so when it's laying on the side it doesn't all run out on the ground. You can buy a 3/4 or 5/8 hose connector and attach it to the valve.

That is one way, the other is to just buy what ever size hose you want, cut it to length and just screw a hose barb for the size hose you have into the barrel and just kink the hose to keep the water from escaping when not in use.

The vent and fill are the most important thing. Leave this as large as you can. The two holes in the top are somewhere around 3 to 31/2". You can get a 90 degree adapter that will screw into one of these hole's and turn it up, this will be your vent and fill. You can reduce it down to 21/2 or so but remember the more reducers you use the further it's going to stick out from the tank and easier to knock off so keep both as short as you can.

you could get a 12v rv pump to help keep water supply/prime to powerwasher

I purchased a water tank so I can Power wash my bike at the track. From what I know so far, everyone says the larger the diameter and the shorter the hose, the better. My 5/8inch diameter, 25 foot garden hose, does not bring much pressure to the power washer. Does anyone know where I can get a 3/4" diameter hose that is less than 25 feet in length. What are you guys using?

They're right, sort of. I'm not sure that it matters that much.

Yes, the fatter and shorter, the more the hose flows.

No, you probably don't need a huge hose.

What's the gpm rating of your power washer? 2.0gpm to 2.4gpm is typical and 3.0gpm is at the high end for a home unit.

That's all the water you have to deliver, pressure is not important because that's what the PW is for: pressure.

Couple of things. Since the hose isn't under significant pressure, I think it is going to be more affected by kinks and flattening than length and diameter.

You can test how much your hose flows by using it to fill a 1gallon bucket (with the hose connected to your truck mounted tank, not to the hose bib at your house). If you get a gallon in 20 seconds, that's 3gpm.

If you don't get that much, cut the hose as short as you can (buy a new end fitting from the hardware store) and try again.

I think using 5/8" hose that stays round will get you more than using a 3/4" that tends to flatten. I have a craftsman rubber hose that holds it's shape better than anything else I've used.

If the hose looks like it flattens out in use, then the pw is sucking too hard and you do need something that flows more.

Another poster made a very good comment about venting your tank. Don't vent the tank, and you will starve the pw.

Thanks guys. That is some good info. My water tank is vented and my power washer is lower than the tank. I just bought a 15 foot hose that is 5/8 inch diameter. It took me forever to powerwash my bike with a 25 foot hose. My craftsman 100 foot hose did not even work. I will try it with the 15 foot hose and see how it goes. If not, I will purchase a 3/4 inch hose and cut it to length.