2-stroke vs. desert

how would you rate a 250 2-stroke in the desert. I plan on racing some hare and hound next season, but hopefully a new bike is coming first. I race woods mostly with some mx thrown in, but i really got the desert bug. Will i be able to run with the big bore thumpers in the desert on a 250. Suspension work is a must but hows the top speed.

Stock gearing top speeds will be around 75mph on the 250 2-stroke. A little bit lower than the 85-100mph speeds the 450 & 525 4strokes can acheive. Even so, the 250 is plenty competitive and you can do very well with it. Especially in a long hard hot race when the lighter weight and snappy 2 stroke power delivery will really help you.

I agree the lite weight, easy starting and easy to pickup when you fall off is the key to riding all day. And not too many people can ride a bike wide open to get the advantage of a big 4st. Unless you are doing Baja style racing where they get on lake beds and roads all the time. The CA desert races are often tight thru the rocks and canyons. A 250 can climb anything, but a 525 would do it easier. Thats about the end of the 4st advantage.

You can gear a 250 to hit 100mph if you like...Thats your desert gearing. My bike is hitting around 80mph 5th pinned. There are 125's out here geared for 80mph...

Make sure to gear it super tall for offroad like that. 14/50 or 14/49 will be good for desert.

Check into the 300 xc.It is a sweet bike.With minor gearing changes,I think 90+mph is easy.It's got pleny of low end too and the suspension is already set up for desert.(rear wheel is an 18 also)

Check into the 300 xc.It is a sweet bike.With minor gearing changes,I think 90+mph is easy.It's got pleny of low end too and the suspension is already set up for desert.(rear wheel is an 18 also)

Yes..or the XCW where you'd have a taller fifth from the get go for the dez.

How much taller IS 5th on the XCW?.I also heard 1st was outrageously low.

How much taller IS 5th on the XCW?.I also heard 1st was outrageously low.

Tall enough for about 15 mph or so. And when the dez guys add more gear first isn't outrageously tall. :excuseme:

I have an 05 sx 250 and with 14/ 48 gearing (13/48 stock) it will go 80 mph. That was at a Big Six race last year with a radar gun. That was rung out! she didn't have a 81 mph in her. I have run 14/ 45 and it pulled it fine and think that would put it close to 90 mph

Nice to know.I'm coming off a wr(yz) 426 and even though I NEVER used all of 5th while riding off road(even in the long sandwash/arroyos)This 300 xc doesn't have the top end(yet)but is SO MUCH easier to ride fast,I see NO problem with gearing it up for 90+.I will add a steering stabilizer though.What a change losing that extra 40lbs. makes.The handling is point and go without fear of the front end pushing out on you.It is 10 times easier to correct a mistake too.I would have wiped it at least 3 times on the thumper last weekend (dry and slick stuff) and the KTM brought me through it no sweat.Sorry to ramble on but this is by far the sweetest bike I've had.It tracks through whoops straight as an arrow too and I have yet to touch the suspension front or rear,The Yammi was never like that!

Dude, you want a KTM 550 MXC !

Have you guys ever done any long distance riding on your two stroke? I've had a bunch of 125 and 250 motocross two strokes in the past that were really fun. The only thing is, since I've switched over to four strokes, I've started doing more long distance stuff out in the desert. We even did a couple multiple day, 500+ mile rides down in baja last year. I have an interest in the 200 or 300 exc, and I like the idea of the simplicity and cheap maint./repair costs of the 2-stroke. Can one of these bikes handle baja?

int/pro can use the big 4-st to full potential, otherwise a 2-st is lighter and less tiring once you dampen the vibration for general public........

I've done long hauls on my 300 so I speak from experience.

DO NOT GET A 2-STROKE ANYTHING FOR THE DESERT.

I love my bike, but it's a woods weapon. I can flick it around and ride for hours. I'll snake any 525 thru the trees like he's standing still. But get the right tool for the job. I can ride all day & still be fresh at the end.

Riding the bike, wide open for hours on end in the desert is a nightmare. It screams like a blender between your legs at top speed. After 90 miles of that you won't be able to feel your arms or legs.

Get the right tool for the job. If you want to ride the desert, get an XR650r or a 525 or my favorite............a Buick.

DO NOT GET A 2-STROKE ANYTHING FOR THE DESERT.

now for some actual information....

what do you mean by 'desert' ?? here in nevada, it could mean most anything, but most of the mran(southern nv) and mrann (northern nv) races are nothing like baja or bitd races. lots of tighter rockier twisty sandwash, some more open sandwashes, but in most races i don't run out of gears on my 250sx.

now if you want to do what slyko does, and run wide open and 90+mph for hours, then don't ask me. that kinda riding sounds boring so i don't do it, but for 0-60 or so, which is typical dezert scrambles racing around here, a 250 does great.

at any rate, dezert races, like other races, are generally broken up by class, so if you're young you'll be racing against other 250's. if you're old (like me) you might end up racing your 250 against 300's, 450's and 525's, but i do fine against those guys. it's not the bike holding me back, lol.

mw

Yup.

I did it once, I'll never do it again.

Get the right tool for the job.

Velo, when the snow is all over the Sierra's and we're forced to ride somewhere else, take me out to that pristine single track in Nevada. I've seen you're pictures. YOU are IT!

I'll bring all the beer you can drink and lunch in the mountains too! :devil:

Velo, when the snow is all over the Sierra's and we're forced to ride somewhere else, take me out to that pristine single track in Nevada. I've seen you're pictures.

our high country trails will shut down any day due to snow. first snow in november is usually the death knell, but it can be earlier, then there's no riding near ely until march. so i go 2 hrs south of here. mix of rocky 2 tracks and some race course singletrack (slightly wider than true singletrack). at any rate, none of it is super high-speed stuff. u musta gone on a ride with bigbob near yerington or something, lol.

and for sure, i wouldn't want to ride one of my 2strokes in vegas-reno or something like that.

Don't pay any attention to SuperSlowpoke, he rode a two day desert ride once, which was almost a dual sport ride, on a 300MXC geared for a top speed of about 50 mph. :thumbsdn:

Like Velo said for most desert riding short of the big wide open Baja type stuff (or dual sport type rides) a smoker is a great choice. Lighter, quicker, great in the rocky stuff, and the lack of engine braking helps in the sand washes.:devil:

Yup,

He's right too!

But let's think about it. If it was geared for 150 mph I still wouldn't want to do it. The 2-stroke is a blender. A screaming blender for long hauls.

Sure, the 2-stroke is light, manuverable, easy to flick around, and very powerful but, it's a woods weapon, single track destroyer, sand wash blaster.

If you wanna blaze 100 miles in the desert. Shred Baja. Go Barstow to Vegas, get an XR650r ........................... or a Buick.

Use the right tool for the job!

Good luck.

Australasian dirtbike magazine raced the finke desert race here in australia on a 200exc and won its class with ease