Sign in to follow this  

Need more Mid and Top.....

I am looking to get more mid-top out of my 04 450. I am currently running 14/52 gearing and seems better than the stock 13/48. I have no engine mods it is BONE STOCK. What is happening is that I am finding myself getting stuck between gears and not enough to run out with without over-rev'ing...I am thinking about a stage 2 cam and PC exhaust...I am happy with low-end just want broader mid range and more top!

theDogger

Go with a CHM SM-1 and an RHC 187 cam and while your in there, put a 13.5:1 piston in it too...plenty on top then....all the way through really...Leave the gearing and you'll be plenty happy...

The Crowerpower G2 cam added a lot of mid and top on my bike along with a lot more overrev. I'm very happy with it. The cam and a 13.5:1 JE or CP piston and the thing would rock. Talk to Dave at MRD and he can get you set up with an exhaust that will be tuned to what you want.

Thats what I thought. I am assuming that the higer compression piston will make more of a difference with the Cam than the cam alone? Is the piston a staight replacment or is there head work or cylinder work that needs to be done also.

I have not had any exp. with either exhaust...reason that I mentioned the PC is that all the test runs that I have read comment on how much this exhaust added to the top-end that there was no thing out there like it....also have a friend in Cali that has a PC exhaust and he loves it.

theDogger

About the only exhaust that was better than the CHM SM1 was a dual muffler setup from Dave at MRD. I dont know if he's doing those on a regular basis or if he even has a jig for them for your bike. But for the biggest bang, the piston and 187 cam, with Rons head and carb work with Daves dual MRD pipe, you'd be in the 60-64 hp range with U4 fuel. With crazy torque numbers too...There's a decent pile of coins wrapped up in there but man, it would haul serious ass...

i just did a 450 yamaha carb mod and the customer was very happy with the results mid and top end gains with no loss of bottom end just smoother.

i just did a 450 yamaha carb mod and the customer was very happy with the results mid and top end gains with no loss of bottom end just smoother.

How big did you go? A guy I know had his bored out to 44mm from what I remember and it works really well.

I wouldnt roll my eyes at a Jemco...those things make buttloads of power...they're just louder than an atomic weapon...

I'm rolling my eyes at TFB and his constant pimping of his Jemco Lowboy that goes from $200 to $250 to $200 to $250 depending on his mood.

I wouldnt roll my eyes at a Jemco...those things make buttloads of power...they're just louder than an atomic weapon...

Yep...

Yep...

Keith, didn't you have a jemco/yoshi hybrid a while back that supposedly ripped?

Keith, didn't you have a jemco/yoshi hybrid a while back that supposedly ripped?

Nope, I had a SuperTrapp reverse megaphone silencer (from a Harley XR750 I think!!!) and Yoshimura stepped header hybrid that FFRacing79 got me...and yes, it ripped. It was also loud :excuseme: A friend of mine crashed it and toasted it beyond repair... :bonk:

It worked very well, added a bunch of overrev while keeping the stock low end intact.

MRD- Nuff Said...Dave pipe will make that bad boy come alive. It wouldnt hurt to call, the guy is down to earth, and wont BS you. I love my MRD on my 06. Mid-Top is nothing but sheer happiness!!

MRD- Nuff Said...Dave pipe will make that bad boy come alive. It wouldnt hurt to call, the guy is down to earth, and wont BS you. I love my MRD on my 06. Mid-Top is nothing but sheer happiness!!

Chills' bike definitely felt good the last time I rode it. Unfortunately the track was pretty beat so I couldn't fully enjoy it. It's funny because we swapped bikes and both came back saying " It feels good, but mine has more bottom" :excuseme: I think it was more riding style and comfort on the bike than anything. His actually felt a little better than mine on the mid and top that day because it was hooking up better. The combo of my beat ass tire, beat ass track and very strong mid/top end made it tough to judge the bikes power.