yz 125 or wr 250f

I cant decide which bike. I race hare scrambles... What do you think? Search is down

neither.

yz250F. yellow an black.

i say get a 4 stroke 250. but not the wr. i just recently decided againt a wr to get a crfX model. and i couldnt have made a better choice.

if your set on gettin a trail equiped 4 stroke 250, then get the crf250x. if not then get the yz250f.

neither.

yz250F. yellow an black.

i say get a 4 stroke 250. but not the wr. i just recently decided againt a wr to get a crfX model. and i couldnt have made a better choice.

if your set on gettin a trail equiped 4 stroke 250, then get the crf250x. if not then get the yz250f.

HAHAHAHA :excuseme:

Just get the WR and call it good

Yz250f

How much do you weigh and what are your goals? if you are light enough (sub150) and want to learn how ride a motorcycle properly go with the 125 and learn to rail! I wish to god that I could go back and avoid the big bike horsepower trap and take the time to learn proper technique right from the start. Nothing teaches corner speed and worship of the BIG-MO like a 125! The more anemic the better.

Ever pick up a 250# from the low side of a muddy hill an hour and a half into a race? These are the moments in life that a man appreciates a light machine and nothing is lighter than the YZ125 in the big bike world. I know that nobody actually crashes these things though right?

How much saddle time do you get? More than 4 hours a week? Ya own a torque wrench and a valve spring compressor? If you do then those valves won't seem all that expensive!

If your older, bigger, gainfully employed and just want to hang trophys then its hard to argue against the YZF.

I have had WR's before and they are an awesome woods bike........but I recently bought a YZ250-F with steering dampner, IMS tank, handgaurds,rad gaurds. I have raced off road for 10 years and this bike is awesome.........check out my pics in the photo forum 2006 yz250 off road weapon...........cheers John :excuseme:

all the pros race 2 stroke in the woods becouse there light and they have good power for woods get the yz125, the 250f's are to hevy for the woods if you want to be good at riding get the 125

If you want reliability go with the WR. I use mine for woods and couldn't be happier :excuseme:

all the pros race 2 stroke in the woods becouse there light and they have good power for woods get the yz125, the 250f's are to hevy for the woods if you want to be good at riding get the 125

Too heavy for the woods , Huh ? I guess my 525EXC is down right a pig then.

HEHEHE,

Dwight

Damn Dwight beat me to making fun of the enlightened guy that thinks a 125 works well just because it's light

Bryce

I ride an XR250 in NE singletrack... there's nothing wrong with a heavy bike so long as it doesn't tip over.

From the sounds of this thread, I will go a bit against the grain...

Maybe I am not the prototypical 125 rider at 200 lbs and an off roader at that. I purchased a new 06' YZ125 for mid 3K's. I have wanted a 250F for a couple years, but reality of high rev/high maintenance 4 stk's, plus the stand on MSRP dealer attitude led me down a different path...due to finances. As both require off road readiness mods and suspension at my weight, a 6K bike can turn to 8K within a brief time, so under 4K was really attractive. I had also made the decision that there would be no used 250F's for me as no 2K engine rebuilds for me to feel good about reliability.

All right, pretty good, or really good (definetley not bad)...don't have enough time on it yet...all the off road mods aren't done yet to finalize my decision, but I can say that it will be at 220 lbs fueled and ready to race fully set up (3.1 gal tank, CF pipe guard and skid plate, hand guards, etc.)

The light weight and performance actually suprises me and it has been a fun change so far. I will be going 144cc and porting, etc this winter with the express purpose of broadening power delivery. Can't say I am sorry for the decision...even though I have been a long time 4 stk guy (XR's) and is taking some time to transition.

i would get an 07 wr250f if you want E start, its got the aluminum frame. other wise i would get that white yz250f bc it looks Siiick and if you want to spend money on valves every 50 hrs then get a honda.

sub 150 pounds and not growing very fast = 125

over 150 pounds, growing or not = 250, 250F

good clutch hand = 125

bad clutch hand= 250, 250F

wealthy and/or obsessed and in love with maintenance = 250F

neither of the above = 125 or 250

too stupid to mix gas = 250F

willing to revalve fork and shock = 125 or 250

not willing = 250F

Hope this helps buddy :excuseme:

Id go with a WR 250F. 2-strokes are too high maintance. Sure, they are cheaper to rebuild but you have to rebuild them a lot more often.

CRF250X? Pass on that one, they have too many valvetrain problems.

2-strokes are too high maintance. Sure, they are cheaper to rebuild but you have to rebuild them a lot more often.

who cares if you have to do it more offten? Changing top ends on two strokes are cake. Even after my sister seized her blaster, the total time i spent pulling it apart and putting it back together after getting it bored took about an hour and a half. I can't even emagine rebuilding the top end on my yz250f, i can barly shim the valves..........

plus the small bore two strokes, in my opinion, take more skill to ride fast, so when you do move up to a 250 four stroke, you will charge.

who cares if you have to do it more offten? Changing top ends on two strokes are cake. Even after my sister seized her blaster, the total time i spent pulling it apart and putting it back together after getting it bored took about an hour and a half. I can't even emagine rebuilding the top end on my yz250f, i can barly shim the valves..........

All the 2 strokes are basically lined cylinders and that is where any cost and time down comes in if seized...however with that being said, they are a quantum improvement in cost in comparison to an OOPS in the motor department on a 250F.

Either is extremely reliable if taken care of PROPERLY and fed a constant diet of clean motorcycle specific synthetic oils and the maintenance schedules are adhered to religiously.

The problem lies outside the new bike market, because looks and what the seller has to say don't necessarily mean anything, unless you KNOW it to be FACT because they are known to you. It takes nothing but time to strip a bike down and thoroughly clean it and add new plastic. Hey - if it looks pretty than it has been well maintained.

I happen to be an anal maintenance freak. I was told when I was very little and it is still programmed into my brain...oil changed at conservative intervals, proper/complete maintenance, and thorough proper cleaning after riding is much cheaper than any parts purchase.

yz250.... o oops