Sign in to follow this  

late 90's Chevy 1500's..

How are they? I found a 97 for around $5,000 and im pretty much wanting to sell my s10..i like the truck but i need alittle more room, in the cab and in the back too. I'm considering an F-150 too. No fanyboys, please. Im not looking for a lifted truck or anything..i dont need a big truck to make up for anything else, i just want something economical to get me to work, school and carry my bike. i like my s10 but the small bed kind of sucks when carrying multiple bikes and theres no room in the cab, it gets kind of old having a bunch of shit on the passenger seat.

Should I avoid the truck altogether and look for something else? I really want a mid-size truck and id like to stay with Chevy but I won't rule out other makes

injectors are another thing to ask about , transmission solenoid shift packs, torque converter ,A/C Compressor growling, too mutch to list But I still wouldn't get a ford

Jeeeeezzzz

Y'all making my 98 Z71 sound like crap!

I've got 110,000 miles on it and I've only replaced the lower ball joints and the water pump.......and the ball joints are my fault for putting on a 110 pound Ranchhand grill guard.

It was recalled for an electical thing regarding power windows, and a leaking oil cooler line was fixed under warranty.

Thats it for me!!! Others may have diff results of course.

FWIW the fuel pumps on these truck ALWAYS make a loud whinning noise.......has from day one off dealer floor.

I have NO brand bias whatsoever, just giving my personal results.

BB

I got this '99 Silverado Z71 for $9500. It's got the 5.3L with now 147,000mi on it. Well worth the price even with the high miles. The truck is in EXCELLENT condition.

My point, check out the silverados, even with high mileage, they are very dependable.

Sorry for the ignorance, im not much of a truck offienado, whats the difference between the silverado and the 1500? im not really looking for a race car or anything to fancy..

it will be used as a daily commuter, not just a bike hauler

Ive got a 95 GM 1500 with 187k miles on it and its still going strong. The only things that have needed to be replaced were the waterpump and ac switch, other than that its been great.

The late '90s Chevys are decent. They are no better and no worse than any other 1/2 ton truck. They have good power, but the gas milage sucks. Get used to getting 14 mpg...

The late '90s Chevys are decent. They are no better and no worse than any other 1/2 ton truck. They have good power, but the gas milage sucks. Get used to getting 14 mpg...

I get 14mpg with 100% stop-go driving with my 98 Z71. On 100% highway I get between 16 and 17mpg.

Now I tend to baby the gas pedal more than the average guy, but my truck has camper shell, heavy grill guard, and a bunch of crap in the bed.

Given its a 98 4x4, I am quite happy with mileage. Another guy with same truck gets 10mpg, but he has mud tires and drives like a banshee.

Just the facts.....again I have zero loyalty to brand.

BB

I get 14mpg with 100% stop-go driving with my 98 Z71. On 100% highway I get between 16 and 17mpg.

Now I tend to baby the gas pedal more than the average guy, but my truck has camper shell, heavy grill guard, and a bunch of crap in the bed.

Given its a 98 4x4, I am quite happy with mileage. Another guy with same truck gets 10mpg, but he has mud tires and drives like a banshee.

Just the facts.....again I have zero loyalty to brand.

BB

thats pretty good considering i baby the pedal most of the time on my s10 and im getting 17-19 if that..and its a 4 cyl

one of my teachers said hes getting close to 24 with a 4-banger s-10 but his is stick

Had a '97 Z71 4x4 Ext Cab. great truck had no problems with it until I went away for a week and left it at the airport. Huge storms rolled through and not sure what happened (maybe lightning strike in the area), but it had an issue with the electrical after that and the truck was shutting down. I have friends that are mechanics and I replaced almost everything except the main computer. Still nothing helped and I wasn't replacing that. So I bought a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. Compared to the Dodge the Chevy was not as roomy width wise. Both trucks were great, my family had a 95 Tahoe (same engine) up till just over 200,000 miles, now have a '98 with about 140,000. If you don't know a lot spend a little extra money before hand and have it checked out by a mechanic you know so that you aren't getting beat up truck that just looks good from the outside.

I had a 94 with 160,000 miles. (I bought it use with 80K miles)

I replaced the Ball Joints, Starter, AC Pump, TPS Sensor and I think that is about it.

The only reason I sold it was a 16 year old kid came up to me and said I want your truck how much. I told him $13,000.00 grand and his mom brought me over the cash the next day.

My brother bought a 95 regular cab long bed work truck with 98,000 miles on it form the Gas Co. for $2,800.00. He has had it two years and put 40,000 miles on it and has only had to do regular maintenance (Tires, Brakes, Oil exc...)

IMO that was the best truck Chevy ever made.

A guy I know has 300k miles on a 96 Chevy 1500 with the 350. Hasn't really had any problems. Only thing really prone to these is the water pump is a POS. I work at Advance Auto and that's one of our highest sellers on that truck. I'd say go for it.

thats pretty good considering i baby the pedal most of the time on my s10 and im getting 17-19 if that..and its a 4 cyl

one of my teachers said hes getting close to 24 with a 4-banger s-10 but his is stick

I know I got in the 20's with my old toyota 2.2RE motor 4 banger.........2wd though.......I would consider 17-19 to be a little poor for a 4banger??

I'm convinced its the driver when it comes to milage.......I'm just not in a hurry anymore like when I was a kid, and generally stay at speed-limit-plus-5mph on the highway.

BB

I know I got in the 20's with my old toyota 2.2RE motor 4 banger.........2wd though.......I would consider 17-19 to be a little poor for a 4banger??

I'm convinced its the driver when it comes to milage.......I'm just not in a hurry anymore like when I was a kid, and generally stay at speed-limit-plus-5mph on the highway.

BB

it is poor..i drive pretty consiveratively (sp?) but i think the auto tranny kills the 4 banger..

oh yea do the ext cabs have a jump seat on the 1500s? i know the ford ranger does..not sure about anything else

my dads gonna look it over..hes been doing this shit for like 35 years (not a mechanic by trade) but he has extensive knowlege rebuilding cars and what not

The water pumps are fiine in Chev 350's, it's the bozo's who own them never change the coolant or run straight water in a pinch-coolant breaks down and loses it's lubricity just like oil.

As far as Advance Auto Parts selling water pumps, garbage in garbage out.

When you hang junk cheapo chinese parts, they will fail prematurely.

I own a 94 C1500(2wd) ext cab, topper, 350, AT, Sileverado Pkg, 145k miles, and have had it since 50k, and other than maintenance(oil, filters, brakes, tune-ups, fluids, etc) have only had to put oil cooler lines and cruise control switch in it. Have 3.08 rears and avg 17-20 mpg, but I drive it mellow. Not a heavy load puller, but handled Vail pass(10,660ft and 6.5-7% grade) with 2 bikes, camping gear, 2 guys and a 2 weeks worth of gear, parts and tools at 65 with the AC running.

IMO I'll be shopping for another if this one got totalled-I think this was the best years for Chevy's reliability. Ford's got WAY more fuel pump issues, and their electrical had issues, along with less mpg on avg.

Wow, I can tell you don't work on these daily. Fuel pumps have always been an issue with Chevy, and still are to this day. As for the cooling system issues, same thing...

I have to agree, too many I have seen have the same issue. I changed the fuel pump in my '97 and parents changed the water pump in thier '95 Tahoe, but since I can do all that work myself it's just the cost of parts which isn't a big deal.... :excuseme:

My '96 c1500 served me well for over 140,000 miles of abuse and towing way-to-heavy boats on a daily basis. Problems? Burned up the torque converter @ 93,000mi-don't tow a 9,500lb boat in 118 degree weather in overdrive:busted: , Fuel pump @110,000mi, alternator @130,000. It was a great truck!

I'm a ford guy.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 92+ Chevy with a 350. You can find great deals on them.

Great power and torque (Better and more usable than the 4.6 & 5.4 fords)

Descent Mileage (for a pickup truck) 17ish on the highway

Easy to work on if need be.

Aftermarket is better for them too versus a ford or a dodge