Sidi Crossfire SRS -OR- Gaerne SG10

Looking for new boots and comparing the 2 models......The Sidis are super comfortable but I wonder how long the thin, replaceable soles will last. The rubber soles are more narrow than the plastic outer-sole that they bolt to and I wonder if my pegs will be eating the outers as well.

Anyone worn through their crossfire soles and replaced them yet?

Was there any wear-and-tear on the plastic outer sole?

Gaerne seem like a great boot too......just a bit bulky for over boot pants.

Also, anyone ever replaced the stitch-on soles? Seems like that's when everyone buys new boots. -Thanks

I know its not an answer to your question but my next boots will be the Crossfires, I tried them on and they feel sweet, my current Tech 8's SUCK, I dont know why people think they are so great, maybe its just me but they never broke in correctly and they are still uncomfortable after 18 months. :excuseme:

Looking for new boots and comparing the 2 models......The Sidis are super comfortable but I wonder how long the thin, replaceable soles will last. The rubber soles are more narrow than the plastic outer-sole that they bolt to and I wonder if my pegs will be eating the outers as well.

Anyone worn through their crossfire soles and replaced them yet?

Was there any wear-and-tear on the plastic outer sole?

Gaerne seem like a great boot too......just a bit bulky for over boot pants.

Also, anyone ever replaced the stitch-on soles? Seems like that's when everyone buys new boots. -Thanks

Do a search for CrossFire and you will find a post where a rider complained that his footpeg ripped a hole in his crossfires. But, his boots were replaced, so the company stood behind its products. It think that's very, very rare though.

I have the Crossfires with the SRS sole. Supposedly, they last quite a while. But when the sole does wear out, it will on take $20 to replace it.

I just went thru this decision (see my long thread). I ended up going with SG10s soley on price - couldt find a good enough reasaon to spend that much more on the Crossfires; esp when so many poeple support the SG10 and there were some great deals on them. Crossfires are perpetually locked at $400. SG10s working great! Bickles are amazing, close like soft butter.

I have had a pair of Crossfire's since they came out. They are instantly comfortable the moment you put them on. Their new closure system is a much better design than the old SRS (which wasn't bad either). The look of the boots is very nice and the protection is fantastic. It is a top notch boot, best I have ever worn. They seem to be holding up very well. I race VET. INT.

and practice twice a week.

I wore Sidi SRS for all of last season. I usually go through a pair of boots a year. Before that time I used Alpinestars for years. Sidi's were a big improvement in both protection and comfort, in my opinion.

I have some sponsorship with Sidi through sponsorhouse. It helped with a considerable discount.

The SG-10's look really nice too. I haven't ever worn a pair myself.

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection. Grab the AED paddles...clear. Boy, this thread did nothing to help me decide!

First off, I have thick muscular calves. So, I took it in my own hands by going to the store and trying them on. Actually, I have to go to another store to try on the Gaerne's, which I'll report on later. My first impression of the SIDI Crossfire SRS was very high! They are ruggedly made with very good protection and were instantly comfortable (walked around the store with one on while I was shopping. I like the way they were able to make the boot flat around your foot so that you could have better feel of the shifter. I couldn't believe how much forward/backward flex they had at the ankle, but to a safe point. I was thinking sign me up, but! Yep, there's a but. I forgot to put on thick socks, knee guards and tuck in motocross pants...oops. So, here is the deal. The outer plastic part of the boot can be augmented to fit my calves and all. It's the damn bladder that just barely makes it around, which I know will allow water into the boot. I wish they could have made the bladder overlap a lot more for waterproof situations.

Does any large calf dudes like the way the bladder in the Gaernes overlap for keeping out water? I know the outer plastic will accomadate my thick socks, knee guards, pants and calves, but I'm just curious about the waterproof'ness of the boot for larger calf people.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Gaerne SG-10's and love the fit and comfort and my foot simply feels 'safe' while wearing them. The support of the gel pad inside is great and there are no pressure points.

Yesterday I put them to good use...forgot where I was on the track and came up short on a blind double and landed on the face of the 2nd jump (severe bottom out slam) and then went airborne again completely out of control and landed halfway off the bike and drove my left foot into the ground hard. My ankle is severely swollen but not broken and there does not appear to be any significant ligament damage.

I am convinced that had I been wearing a lesser boot that I would have a broken ankle and been out of commission for a couple months. As it is I will probably be out a couple weeks. I love my Gaerne's.

That being said, I have never tried the Sidi Crossfires, but they look like a good boot.

have the crossfire,and i love them but have torn the outer shell from kick starting the bike and am wering the soles out after quit a bit of riding 1 100 mile race and prob about 15 hours of hard trail riding i got them for the large calf accomadation. they do have a little maintenace too, hope that helps :ride:

My next boots will be crossfires, I currently have the older flexforce model,

I don't know how everyone else seems to cope with the lack of flexibillity

in the ankle region in regular boots, it something I've always struggled with

I find gear changing fumbly etc... but the Sidi hinged ankle system is perfect for me.