Inyan Kara Race Report

Well I motored on up to Upton by myself since all my regular riding partners were not going to this race. Got to Upton, had some Spaghetti dinner, shot the $hit with Greg, Jeff, Jary, Mart and Mart's friend (Sorry forgot your name) and after hearing about all the new stuff and the dreaded 22 miles of A/B loop He77 that awaited me, I was wondering why I do this to myself!?!? Watched JEff change the front sprocket on his yz250 after Mart scared him as well, then I KNEW I was in trouble. Then went to sleep. (Thanks to Greg for offering up the hotel room floor, much easier than setting up the tent!) I was feeling pretty crappy, allergies and sinus headaches all day long.

Woke up, felt pretty good considering how crappy I felt the day before, got all my crap together and drove down to the gas stop. Got all geared up, drank some coffee, ate some breakfast and rode on up to the start.

Went back to the hotel to top off the fuel tank with some gas I stashed there and saw somebody's socks sitting on the chair outside the room. Wondered who in the world left their socks? Turns out they were mine, I had left them in the room and those guys had checked out already. Oh well, I don't think so well in the morning, they are probably still sitting there.

Headed on over to the start line and waited for minute 28. Started going over my game plan:

1. ride the first 2 loops easy and conserve energy

2. do not take off from the start like a bat out of he77 as usual

3. ride the first 2 loops easy and conserve energy

4. ride the first 2 loops easy and conserve energy

5. survive the last 22 miles and FINISH the race.

So it is finally time to go and we take off down to the start of the first test. All B riders, and one other Vet B guy like me. I got in front of him for about 2 miles but he was obviously faster so I let him go in front. Got some great tight tree riding tips from the guys on my minute that really helped out, thanks guys! I was riding well and not pushing it then at around mile 15 I came to the first "go under the log" crossing. Just as I though I was under I raised my head and got a "pile driver". I pulled over and put my head on the bars for about 5 minutes wondering what the heck happened?? Great only 15 miles and already banged up! Just wait until the dreaded 22!!

Got going again and was riding a little timid for a while, but then I loosened up and was having fun again. Had a couple more close calls when I came up to a hump pretty hot and saw a nice drop off after it, but with a landing farther out so I gassed it and almost made it. Bottomed out the front and the rear but kept going. Hmmm, maybe that is how the fast guys do it? The other get off happened in one of the grassy fields when my frint wheel hit the side of the trail and climbed up out of the trail. I was going at a good clip and it was obvious I was going down so I balied off the bike thinking, oooh this is gonna hurt. As luck would have it I ended up in a slide on the grass and came to a stop with not so much as a scratch. LUCKY! After that, I motored around all the way through gas stop 2 and still felt pretty good. Time for the showdown! Not sure what I was getting into, I took off on the last loop of the day and my first B loop at Inyan Kara. Definitely a little intimidated after hearing all the horror stories. No real story here though, I basically just took my time and rode through it all and by the observation check I knew I was going to finish. I was actually having some fun in the canyons and the tight stuff, unbelievable! Rode the last 11 miles and there it was, the holy grail, the end of the A/B loop Inyan Kara enduro, I made it! SWEET!

Still felt pretty good too, probably should have pushed a little harder in the earlier stuff, but now I know. It was nice to feel good on the drive home though, since I was driving solo.

Ended up with 87 points for the day.

Not too bad since my goal was just to finish!

I think staying away from Dan and his $7.00 wine sure helps!

:excuseme:

I was debating driving up there, too. But, I didn't decide until thoughts of "what if there's already 300 riders and I can't enter" started gnawing at me. Sounds like a good qualifier, though. It would have been good for me, never ridden an enduro, to learn some basic timekeeping. I went to Nebraska instead! :excuseme::bonk:

Great report, TIM!!

Makes me want to get out there soon and come ride some events. Congratulations on the finish, I've head quite a few stories about those infamous last 22 miles. GOOD JOB.

Great report, TIM!!

Makes me want to get out there soon and come ride some events. Congratulations on the finish, I've head quite a few stories about those infamous last 22 miles. GOOD JOB.

I had bike problems and was very frustrated at the end of the day to say the least. Bike stalled 1.5 miles from the finish and took me forever to get it re-lit. My traveling partners son overalled the C class so that made the trip worth it.

This is a great enduro, you are glad you finish this one feeling you accomplished something. If you want to do a fun, challenging enduro that is well run this is a must!!!

I had bike problems and was very frustrated at the end of the day to say the least. Bike stalled 1.5 miles from the finish and took me forever to get it re-lit. My traveling partners son overalled the C class so that made the trip worth it.

This is a great enduro, you are glad you finish this one feeling you accomplished something. If you want to do a fun, challenging enduro that is well run this is a must!!!

I have to agree this is one of the best run enduro's and one of the most fun one's there are. It went great for me this year, but I feel your pain after the bad time I had last year with bike starting problems. I had no issues with the bike this year, but at times those 4 Strokes can be a big pain in the you know what with hot starting problems. Congrats to Josh and his great finish and welcome him to the B class next year.

Wow, what a race.

Incredible course, perfect weather, and tangerine-flavored dust (well, maybe not the dust). I started riding in the RMEC series this year, and in my opinion, this event was the creme of the crop.

Endurodog, your friend's son who overalled C was in 200 C with me. He got 25 points and I had second place with 32. Wow, pretty fast.

Thanks for the reports.

I see a smoker in your future..... :excuseme:

I had bike problems and was very frustrated at the end of the day to say the least. Bike stalled 1.5 miles from the finish and took me forever to get it re-lit.

VALVE JOB :excuseme:

VALVE JOB :excuseme:

Done 2 months ago.

When I got home it started on the 2nd kick so I could warm it up and drain the oil.

I think it has more to do with 20.5 miles of tight clutch work (on top of 70 miles of other dusty race stuff) getting the bike realllllyyyyy hot, having the idle set a bit high trying not to kill it, and a air filter that looked like a mud pie.

It was a great race :busted::excuseme: . I bonked in the last A-b section and lost a extra 5 minuits due to exhaustion :bonk: . but all the terain was really great and the weather could not have been better!

I feel your pain 'dog. Sure looked like the 125s were eating that stuff up.

Another great Inyan Kara race! It was decent temperatures this time too. The last 22 mi were epic! Any who haven't done this race, owe it to themselves to attend, it's one of the most well run and organized races around.

Another great Inyan Kara race! It was decent temperatures this time too. The last 22 mi were epic! Any who haven't done this race, owe it to themselves to attend, it's one of the most well run and organized races around.

Well 20.5 miles at the end were epic :ride: Took the bike to Aztec tonight and the thing worked flawless. All the same I think this race has convinced me to go back to a 2 smoke for the woods next year. Best bike for the MX track, hands down, but it's not much of a woods weapon.

Well 20.5 miles at the end were epic :ride: Took the bike to Aztec tonight and the thing worked flawless. All the same I think this race has convinced me to go back to a 2 smoke for the woods next year. Best bike for the MX track, hands down, but it's not much of a woods weapon.

Yea, it worked a bit TOO well tonight... bastard. :ride:

All the same I think this race has convinced me to go back to a 2 smoke for the woods next year. Best bike for the MX track, hands down, but it's not much of a woods weapon.

That's what I'ma thinkin too :ride:

That's what I'ma thinkin too :ride:

yep just order an 07 cr250 myself :ride: btw last yr. for the pinger

yep just order an 07 cr250 myself :ride: btw last yr. for the pinger

Last year as in for you or for Honda making them???

Last year as in for you or for Honda making them???

could be for both of us :ride: