Brake Question??

Has anyone on here, gotten their rear brakes so hot that somehow you managed to get air bubbles in the lines? I was doing some tight single track and lost my rear brakes. I had to pump them to work. Still haven't bled them, but I thought I'd ask before I do.

Your faded brakes are probably because you boiled the brake fluid.

I'd just flush the system out with new fluid and start over.

my 02 just did the same thing at the mx track. i changed the brake fluid (no luck), rebuilt the master cylinder (still no luck) changed the brake line to a stainless steel braided line. problem solved. my stock line was flexing which caused the brakes to fail.

my 02 just did the same thing at the mx track. i changed the brake fluid (no luck), rebuilt the master cylinder (still no luck) changed the brake line to a stainless steel braided line. problem solved. my stock line was flexing which caused the brakes to fail.

Your brakes 'failed' because the stock line was flexing? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Your brakes 'failed' because the stock line was flexing? That doesn't make any sense to me.

The stock line expands under pressure and the energy from the master cylinder doesn't make it to the slave cylinder. Its kind of like trying to suck a milk shake through a straw and having the straw collapse but its the exact opposite.

Has anyone on here, gotten their rear brakes so hot that somehow you managed to get air bubbles in the lines? I was doing some tight single track and lost my rear brakes. I had to pump them to work. Still haven't bled them, but I thought I'd ask before I do.

What year is your bike?

In '02 there were similar symptoms caused by an o-ring in the master cylinder.

Buying the updated master cylinder kit solved the problem.

The stock line expands under pressure and the energy from the master cylinder doesn't make it to the slave cylinder. Its kind of like trying to suck a milk shake through a straw and having the straw collapse but its the exact opposite.

Shady- Brake lines don't FAIL because they flex a little. Please quit trying to impress with your 'lack of knowledge'.

Stock brake lines do heat up but I don't think that would cause bubbles. Sounds like there was a little moisture in the lines or the fluid boiled. Try running the 5.1 DOT. Resists heat much better, might help.

I have a stainless line on my front. It did make a little difference in brake feel, kinda has a more firm feeling. But Shadyatbest, that isn't the reason for his problem.

After really heating up the fluid, the stock lines can get soft and expand. It won't make the brake completely go away, but can make them feel spongey even when everything else is fine. Shady isn't completely off base, I think he's just not getting it across correctly. :excuseme:

After really heating up the fluid, the stock lines can get soft and expand. It won't make the brake completely go away, but can make them feel spongey even when everything else is fine. Shady isn't completely off base, I think he's just not getting it across correctly. :excuseme:
Yes he wasn't completely off base, what he said was true, but I'm betting it was the fluid type or pad material. There are pads made for extreme condtions and brake dragging, EBS Red pads are made to work at a higher temp than stock. I would say that and new fluid would be the fix.

:bonk:

Originally Posted by jdub

Shady- Brake lines don't FAIL because they flex a little. Please quit trying to impress with your 'lack of knowledge'.

the stock brake line had deteriorated from excessive heat. when i would hit the rear brake the line would swell/expand resulting in a loss in pressure which caused the brakes to fail. after changing to a aftermarket stainless steel line my problem was fixed. it was the first time i have had a brake line fail, but it did happen. this is the process i went through to fix my brakes.

1st i changed the brake fluid (oem Honda fluid) bled brakes using a vacuum (did not correct problem) 2nd rebuilt master cylinder and caliper changed fluid/ bled brakes (did not correct problem) 3rd changed brake line, changed fluid/ bled brakes (brakes fixed and a better feel than when bike was new.)