Sign in to follow this  

2006 Fork fluid amount

I see some of you running 380 cc of fluid when the manual calls for 375(06 has shorter forks?) and I'm not sure if they didn't realize that the 06 volume is less than previous years or that they were actually looking to raise the oil volume. I'm looking to get rid of the harshness on the chop. I'm at stock settings and don't really like any less or more rebound or compression. Does anyone have any recommendations for oil height on the 06 forks?

Thanks.

I put in firmer springs, .049, and lowered the oil height as per the manual. This helped but not entirely. I have read that the small upper spring should be changed to 1.76 to help with the initial harshness.

I also went to RG3 upper triple clamp and a Pro Taper bar. This also made a significant difference.

I put in firmer springs, .049, and lowered the oil height as per the manual. This helped but not entirely. I have read that the small upper spring should be changed to 1.76 to help with the initial harshness.

I also went to RG3 upper triple clamp and a Pro Taper bar. This also made a significant difference.

I go 6'3", 225lbs and I've gone w/ .49's, 1.76kg pressure springs & 375cc oil and it works great. If I was an A rider (or faster!) I may look to re-valve, but the lighter pressure springs make a world of difference on the initial stroke. I also have the Pro Taper rubber mounted top clamp and bars - these help as well.

I am just out of the weight and speed ratios for my 06 crf450 suspension. I like to figure things out on my own, so I of course screwed it up. But in my defense it appears most people do including the magazines. Before you touch your front suspension you must first fix your rear suspenion. This means getting your sag right. If you weigh over 200 lbs you need to go one stiffer on the rear. Change the 5.5 to a 5.7 or greater. Also if you are fast you may need to change it. Then you need to spend some time adjusting your compression and rebound. The large dial is high speed the small one is low speed and the bottom is rebound. Go for it. Then start working with the front. Change your springs if needed and your oil height. The 3 mm shorter fork tubes did not change the fork springs. 04,05,06 all have the same volume oil and same length springs. So make your changes as desired. If you do the front without doing the back, once you get the front right you'll have to go back to the rear and due it again. The is what Honda suggests doing. Revalves are also a good way to adjust the way the suspension works, buy every shop seems to have different opinions as to what is the best, I like factory connection and anyone who does them the way factory connection does. They have it figured out, example: when you approach a corner fast and standing, go over the breaking bumps, sit down and the bike will wallow as you corner. the springs wont say down, then you come out of the corner and the more gas you give it the rear compresses and the suspension packs up and feels rough over the acceleration bumps making the rear tire skip and not track up so you loose speed and some guy on a 125 passes you. Sucks. If you do it right that wont happen unless you let it happen.

I weigh 180 w/o gear and I also ride more off road than anything so I think I'm ok with stock springs. The rear seems pretty good. I went 1 out on compression and I'm a hair over 4" on sag. I didn't touch the rebound since it doesn't seem to pack. My only complaint is the harshness on the chop. I'll swap the oil and see how it does. I guess I'll throw 375 in and start from there. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I run 365cc with oil lock collars and an 1.61 ics and replaced the forth shim closest to piston with an 24mm shim. Works great for me. It made a big difference.