Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Bearings - Please Help!

I did a search, but couldn't find an answer on this..

Two questions...

1. Getting them out - Do you HAVE to have a special tool?

2. Getting them back in - Do you HAVE to have a press?

If not, can somone walk me through baby steps on how to do this?

(time to clean and re-grease) :excuseme:

Thanks!

Alright, don't know if it would even apply, but I just replaced my first set of wheel bearings on my XR.

Removal:

Basically, pick a side and COMPLETELY destroy that bearing, leaving nothing but the outer race in the wheel hub. Take the seal off, the seal on the bearing which exposes the bearing retainers and start some destruction.

Next, take out the sleeve thats in between the bearings ( if applicable ) and pound out the other side completely ( outer and inner races as a whole ). I found it useful to slide a large bolt through the inner race from the inside of the hub to give you something sturdy to pound on. ( pound on the head of the bolt )

Then take a long screw driver and carefully remove the outer race on the opposing side. Take your time, and be sure where you are actually hammering, ie. you want to be pounding on the race, not part of the hub.

Clean it all up with a solvent of choice and your ready to install!

Installation:

I froze my bearings for about a 30 min. basically, you want to be sure you have it all clean.

I put a LIGHT coat of grease on the hub where the bearing sits but thats optional.

Get a get a socket that fits each bearing's OUTER race,

Put frozen bearing in place, use hammer and socket and pound them in, Be sure that they go in Evenly!

Some people heat the hub with a torch or heat gun and freeze the bearing, it worke OK the way I did it, I may try heating the hub next time. :bonk:

Flip over the wheel, drop in the sleeve ( if applicable ) and repeat the steps of the other side. :excuseme::bonk::busted:

For removal I take the seals and ring off first and then I find a t-handle that just bearly fits through the inner ring, push it all the way through to the far wheel bearing. Offset the t-handle from the far center inner ring and tap it out with a hammer. Then tap the other bearing out from the opposite direction. Putting the new ones in I do the same thing as the last post. It usually takes me about 5-10 minutes to do the job using this method.

I went through this awhile back with my CR250's wheel bearings. I can tell you that the Motion Pro bearing removers were sent by God above. I found a brand new set on ebay for $35 and I would have paid double for it. Use the tools built for it and you will have it done in about 5 minutes.

You can beat them out no problem with a nice flat punch. To install the new ones freeze the bearings in the freezer for at least an hour. If you want to make it even easier, put your hub on a hot plate for a bit before you install, they will just drop in. If you have no hot plate then use a socket the size of the bearing and gentle tap them in straight with a hammer, they will go in easy, if not then they are not cold enough.