Sign in to follow this  

CRFrustrating

My 10 year old is racing a CRF100 in enduros this year. I've added a fork brace,good aluminum handguards,BBR chainguard,airbox mod and a ThrottleUp exhaust tip but he's getting frustrated on how the 2-strokers can smoke him in the open areas. Where would you start to try and gain more performance realizing that it'll never be quite as quick as the 2-strokes? Thanks!

did you re-jet when you did the airbox and pipe? Its got to be done to get any gain. After that Im thinkin the displacement is next. What are the displacement rules? A 115 or 120 kit with a cam will bolt right on for about $200-300 bucks and make it better. After that a lighter flywheel or inner rotor igntion but they are expensive.

I haven't rejetted not sure where to go there but the plug appeared good,open to suggestions. Have been considering the 115cc. kit if the performance would be worth it. Then I'd likely have to rejet again I suppose. Thought about a different exhaust but my guess would be the overbore kit would kick out better results. I've replaced pistons before but never messed with a cam so I'd have to factor in the cost of havin somebody install the kit too.

Just use white out to make a mark that goes from the chain to the cam gear and then just line the two up when you put it back together again. :excuseme:

I went up one size on the pilot and used a 102 main. That along with a pipe seems to make a big difference. We race these things in the desert against other 100 and 2 Yam 125 4st. Mine is the only one to stay with the 125 on the straights and the only one with airbox and jets done. Others have pipes but cant keep up.

I haven't rejetted not sure where to go there but the plug appeared good,open to suggestions. Have been considering the 115cc. kit if the performance would be worth it. Then I'd likely have to rejet again I suppose. Thought about a different exhaust but my guess would be the overbore kit would kick out better results. I've replaced pistons before but never messed with a cam so I'd have to factor in the cost of havin somebody install the kit too.

What 115cc kit are you thinking about???? If it's the trailbikes kit, don't bother. It's great for a little more umph, but not racing. If you want to race two strokes you either need a two-stroke or build a really good XR100 motor and suspension. You can't really do on the cheap. A really good 120cc with a pipe, carb, porting, takes a bit of money. The best ticket would be a Kitaco 145cc kit. But, unless your kid is really good, the 145 kit will be way too much for him. However, keeping him on a slower bike will make him a faster rider in the long run. I keep up with ton of two-stokes on xrs and now my stock TTR125. It just take a lot of practice.

Think I'll mess with the jetting for now maybe add a pipe.I realize this isn't a real high performance bike compared to the YZ 85's and such, the plan was to trail ride untill my two boys' decided they'd like to try some enduros. I think he'd be happy just to be able to stomp his 12 year old brother in the same class with his TTR-125. Since they outgrow bikes almost as fast as jeans I really hate to dump a ton of money in a bike that'll only be used for a couple years.