Atk Motorcycles

My friend has one and it's junk :excuseme: He rode my CRF450 and his first words where "Night & Day"....

I agree with your assement of "night and day", the dale has bottom end for trail riding ther CRF 450 does not. I have a friend that doesn't like to trailride with us because we like tight single track, the dale eats it up and the CRF450 wants to be able to rev, no bottom end equals no fun for him.

Update the dale and they make great bikes. I would be willing to bet that most parts are cheaper than the other bikes inclulding KTM.

I agree with your assement of "night and day", the dale has bottom end for trail riding ther CRF 450 does not. I have a friend that doesn't like to trailride with us because we like tight single track, the dale eats it up and the CRF450 wants to be able to rev, no bottom end equals no fun for him.

Update the dale and they make great bikes. I would be willing to bet that most parts are cheaper than the other bikes inclulding KTM.

Sorry "Fig", I'm a hardcore trail/desert/sand rider and my CRF is simply awesome. I don't doubt your "dale" is a great "trail" bike however when it comes down to "Performance, Power, Suspension, Handling and Weight" an ATK doesn't even come close.

Sorry "Fig", I'm a hardcore trail/desert/sand rider and my CRF is simply awesome. I don't doubt your "dale" is a great "trail" bike however when it comes down to "Performance, Power, Suspension, Handling and Weight" an ATK doesn't even come close.

Johnyb, to say an ATK doesn't even come close to a Honda is like comparing apples to oranges. ATK is a different bike. I too am a hardcore trail/desert/sand rider myself. I find the ATK tracks better than the Honda in the desert. The Honda might just work better for you. Frank White has won an ISDE qualifier on his ATK 450. An ATK is not for everyone, but either is a Honda. In five minutes on my laptop I can change the mapping on my bike to suite the riding terrain I am riding on. I also don't need to mess with jetting. Olin's suspension is junk? Come to think of it, KTM's use the same no linkage on their bikes. I'm glad you like your CRF450 it's a great bike, but so is an ATK in it's own right.

• Like 1

Johnyb, to say an ATK doesn't even come close to a Honda is like comparing apples to oranges. ATK is a different bike. I too am a hardcore trail/desert/sand rider myself. I find the ATK tracks better than the Honda in the desert. The Honda might just work better for you. Frank White has won an ISDE qualifier on his ATK 450. An ATK is not for everyone, but either is a Honda. In five minutes on my laptop I can change the mapping on my bike to suite the riding terrain I am riding on. I also don't need to mess with jetting. Olin's suspension is junk? Come to think of it, KTM's use the same no linkage on their bikes. I'm glad you like your CRF450 it's a great bike, but so is an ATK in it's own right.

Agreed :excuseme:

I would like to put a 10 paddle tire on the 700 2-stroke and hit the dunes.

• Like 1

MXJunky had a '94 ATK350CCKS. The bike was a pretty sweet ride at first, as MXJunky had owned a '93 XR250 prior, but four months down the road MXJunky cracked the frame at the top, and oil spewed everywhere. Seven months later, MXJunky recieved the replacement frame, which cracked in the same spot a few months after that. In the mid nineties, acquiring parts for an ATK was akin to acquiring the Holy Grail. MXJunky will never buy an American made sickle bike again.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/MXJunky/Leeches.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/MXJunky/9128a1e2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/MXJunky/MePostTable.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/MXJunky/LeechesTop.jpg

Interesting notion. They have all high end parts on them, always have since the company started way back in the early 80's, yet you call them junk. Interesting! :busted: I guess quite a few people just never knew they existed, but Dirt Bike magazine did and still does do write ups on the ATK's. The 700 had a story on it about 2 years back. Some people just don't read about what they profess to be interested in. Lack of knowledge about something means you shouldn't post about something you know nothing about. :bonk:

Well Robert I probably read the same articles you did and as I RECALL,

a lot of high end parts does not make a bike reliable or handle all that well.

But you seem to be all knowing,so you go buy one and I'll stick with the bikes that have proven themselves over the years. :excuseme:

I have to agree with one thing you said. Honda recommends a complete top end overhaul on the CRF450 every 15-20 hours of operation.

I've seen ATK 605's with over 35,000 miles on an untouched engine. That is a night and day difference from a CRF450. :bonk:

Quantity VS Quality.

If you did every thing an owners manual said,you would never have time to actually ride your bike,just service.

:excuseme:

• Like 1

If you did every thing an owners manual said,you would never have time to actually ride your bike,just service.

:excuseme:

Ok, go double the recommend service interval Honda recommends for your CRF450 and only replace your top end every 30-40 hours. If you average 50 mph you will be doing a top end overhaul every 1,500-2,000 miles. Heck, live recklessly and go triple Honda's recomended service interval, 2,500-3,000 miles. Wow, that's impressive.

Like was said before, that's a night and day difference from an ATK. :busted:

I'm just yanking your chain. They are 2 entirely different bikes. I'll gladly give up 5-7 peak horsepower for a bike that will go 10's of thousands of miles with the only maintainance being oil/filter changes, clean airfilter, adjust valves (takes less than 15 minutes) and change the cambelt every year or two (it's external and takes all of 15 minutes). The ATK also comes STOCK with a 190 Watt lighting coil to power those powerful offroad lights desert folks like to use plus kick AND electric start. Plus they are street legal, which I understand is a big deal in California to be able to ride in certain areas.

The CRF450 would absolutly destroy an ATK on a motorcoss track or some other kind of short race circuit, that's what Honda designed it for and they did a great job. But for dualsporting or long hauls out in the boonies or out in the desert where reliability is key I think the ATK has the edge. I also like th fact that my ATK's frame hold 3 QUARTS of oil! I guess I'm old fashoned but I just love a simple, bulletproof, proven design. Bust a radiator or lose a waterpump out in the middle of nowhere on the CRF & your in trouble. As long as there is air I'm ok.

BTW, ATK has been using the same Rotax engine that my bike has in one variation or another since 1983, so I'd say they've "proven themselves over the years". :bonk:

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

I'm not a big fan of the new Cannondale inspired ones, but the 2003's and earlier are tough to beat. I've got a 2002 ATK 260LQ for the tight slick stuff and a 1997 ATK 605 for dual-sporting. They come stock with the best parts you can get: Ohlins Shock, Paioli or White Power Forks, Brembo Brakes, Stainless Brake Lines, Gold Talon Hubs, Pro-taper Bars, 160W (260) or 190W (605) lighting coils, Chromoly steel frames and swingarms (as light as aluminum but much stronger), supertrapp exhausts, and much more. These are hand assembled motorcycles that come with things that would cost thousands to add to a typical mass produced Japanese bike. The 605DS is air-cooled (reliable with no radiator, waterpump, or hoses to crush or bust and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere) and weighs what a Honda XR600 does but it comes stock with all those goodies, is street legal, and has kick and ELECTRIC START!!! Stock they put out a reliable 50hp. Switch to a High compression piston & clean up the head and you've got 60+hp. Add a cam for 70+. Got to love that. An ATK 605 will walk all over a Honda XR600. I should know, I used to own Johnny Campbell's XR628 with all the Honda goodies on it. :D The 260LQ 2-stroke is liquid cooled, has a radiator that is darned near puncture proof due to being wrapped around by the very thick one piece gastank/shrouds, comes with all the goodies, and puts out 50+hp, and weighs 235 pounds wet.Parts availability is very good, and in general are MUCH LESS than a Japanese bike. On both the 260 and the 605 the majority of the plastic is from a mid 90's KTM, so you can get those from ATK, KTM, or aftermarket. Replacement rear sprockets are the same as a RM suzuki, brakepads are the same as most KTMs, seat cover and padding KTM. The Rotax motors they use have been around for years and their quality and reliability is legendary. Should you need Rotax parts they are very easy to get.As for the 2004+ Atks, ATK has spent a bunch of money fixing the engineering problems inherent in the original Cannondale engine design. I'm not inclined to get one of these later models, but ATK will be bringing out a new Rotax based 650 Dualsport in the future. I'll be the 1st in line when they do.Here are a couple of links to pics/specs of the earlier models:ATK 605 ATK 260LQHeck, while I'm at it here's a link to my DT1 DT1 Jeff2002 ATK260LQ1997 ATK 605DS1971 Yamaha DT1 250

Come on bud 70 HP if so I'd have one my xr650r is fast I'd put it against it any day usually a liquid cooled motor u can get more power it gets rid of heat better. 70 HP idk but if so it would prob run 10 hrs it wouldn't be reliable would it. Opinions will vary

Come on bud 70 HP if so I'd have one my xr650r is fast I'd put it against it any day usually a liquid cooled motor u can get more power it gets rid of heat better. 70 HP idk but if so it would prob run 10 hrs it wouldn't be reliable would it. Opinions will vary

You obviously don't know much about these Rotax engines.  In race form they can put out 90+ at the crank.  In milder states of tune, 65+ hp (70+ crank) at the rear wheel is easy to get and very reliable. 

Here's the formula direct from the Rotax Experts Porter Bros Racing:

"Rotax engine Supermono Stage 1 Tune. 65hp rear wheel.

This is the standard tune that most Rotax riders use and should be reliable for a whole year or more of club racing.

860 cam

44mm Mikuni carb

Flowed head, such as Mez porting. 37.5mm inlets are not essential, properly cut seats are however.

Decent exhaust.

100mm omega piston, ideally with plated barrel."

75 HP is about as much as you want to go with the stock crank and cases; any more than that and billett cases are recommended.

These aircooled engines have been around for 25+ years and have dominated in Flat Track and Grand National events.  By "dominated" I mean they won OVER 60% of all Grand National Events!

They've won their fair share of Road Race events as well.

Here's a beautiful Woods-Rotax Air Cooled bike; it puts out 71.8 HP at the rear wheel.http://silodrome.com/wood-rotax-sj676/

In 1996 this bike set the Formula Singles record at Willow springs Raceway, 1:27.3, to cover the 2.5 mile racetrack, that record still stands today 19 years later. :ride:

It was featured in Cycle Magazine as The World’s Fastest Single.

It utilized the air-cooled cylinder with a liquid cooled head to help keep temps down during the WOT road racing. 6fd73c6cff126cee6791d6922a63207f.jpg

Get a load of all the Flat Track bikes that used the air-cooled Rotax. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=woods+rotax+liquid+head&biw=1280&bih=836&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=47VLVa6ZNoLvggThxIH4CA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=woods+rotax+

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=woods+rotax+&ei=arhLVbG6E4moNq6GgaAI#tbm=isch&q=darcy+rotax

http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=11&id=157204&Itemid=0

Of the 64 AMA 600 Flat Track National Races, only five WEREN’T won by these Air-Cooled Rotaxes! That’s a 92.2% win percentage.

Gee, I wonder why these guys want to use these engines?!! B)

50+ HP  bone stock with awesome bottom/mid range torque, 65+ reliable HP that is easy to get, no radiators to get a hole in, no hoses to tear or rupture, no waterpumps to fail and leave one stranded miles from nowhere.  

Check the valve lash every once in a while (they never change though), change the oil & filter, and change the external cam belt every year or two & that's it.

Who could possibly want something like that?

Edited by pantera
  • Like 1

My old post Doggie.Stiles posted was from way back in 2006.  Since then I've also owned a 2002 ATK 605 that had several engine upgrades; talk about a beast!

The fellow I eventually sold it to was used to riding a nicely warmed over Buell.  The performance of the ATK blew his mind!  65+ rear wheel HP + gobs of torque on a   285 lb motorcycle is a heck of a ride! ?

It would eat Johnny Campbells XR628, which I also used to own, for lunch. :ride:

I wish I had it back; I'd go hunting some XR650Rs........................

Edited by pantera
  • Like 1

Lol yeah they do make big power. 32 was stock. Ccm used to sponsor my buddy for grand nationals. Rotax 600 was same small valve head yours came with. They are fast with work done. You need a Darcy big valve head 6k$ falicon crank and rod set with a set of special wide body lifters. Thats about 15k into an engine that will blow up after 4-5 hrs race time. Thats 90hp and it wasn't a 600, more like 647cc.

Atk single sided frames looked cool but they all cracked if used hard. Atk is a neat boutique brand but they were junk! They are the same as Fiat. Great ideas with bad execution.

Fantastic thread revival... glad you are still here Pantera to respond to a quote! I had 3 ATKs over the years, liked them eniugj. I would love to have another 605.

• Like 1