K&N VS UNI

Ive been thinking about getting a new air filter for my 01 xr200r and Ive been leaning toward the k&n filters but i have heard the UNI is just as good for much less the price, is this true?

A good foam filter will provide superior filtration.

The guys & gals that race Grand National Championship Flattrack trust the K&N filters on their $12,000 engines. If that's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. A K&N with an water proof Outerwears brand pre-filter cover works just fine for me. You can not cross seat deep creeks, but for dry / semi dry riding, they work.

I use K&N, hands down the best filter.

i have heard that if you dont clean the K&N filter right you can burn up you engine

somebody at the bike shop close to me said lots of people dont clean them right and the paper collapses and lets no air in id go uni

Yeah go with the Uni, or even a TwinAir. K&N is crap to clean, crap when it has the slightest amount of dirt on it, crap at altitude and usually just plain crap. My brother has one on an XR4 and he has to clean it every ride, otherwise we don't usually end up making it up the mountain unless he has the throttle cracked open the whole time. IMHO, foam is way better.

I run K&n on everything including my cars, if you buy their cleaning kit it's not bad to clean. I run mine without an air box on the 100 so it needs cleaning pretty frequently but they aren't supposed to lose effectiveness until the debris is 1/4 thick.As mentioned before the disadvantage to them is water, if they get wet you can't wring it out. Also they're gauze not paper so i don't know what that dealer was talking about, mine's been run over squished and pulled back out and it's fine. I read an article years back by David Vizard who did an independent filter test and a "leading" foam filter company threatened to sue if he published the results with their name. If you don't know his name he's a very respected Chevy r&d guy with money behind him.

Do a Google search for Air Filter Tests. I think you may change your thoughts on considering a K&N.

Well I did a google search for "Air Filter Testing" and read the articles... I have read his oil filter articles as well...

My opinion has not changed... K&N are fine... they are better than foam filters on filtration and flow...oh and that makes them better than stock since they are foam... the only other better filters are paper... and they don't make those for our bikes.

Like Mike said if GNC tuners trusts them on their $15-20k motors... then so do I...

One more thing... rebelman83 said "i have heard that if you dont clean the K&N filter right you can burn up you engine somebody at the bike shop close to me said lots of people dont clean them right and the paper collapses and lets no air in id go uni"

If the filter won't let air through it would make it stall for lack of air... too much air will burn up a motor... tell you mech. to stop smoking the weed and that he needs more fresh filterd air... :-)

...tell you mech. to stop smoking the weed and that he needs more fresh filterd air...

I wonder ... if he inhaled threw a K&N would he get as stoned?

any filter as long as it is oiled properly and sealed properly will work. Ive only seen problems when riding in extreme dust conditions and the filter gets caked up to the point it is easier to draw air around the filter instead of thru it. If its sealed well and has enuf pressure in its holding device they all work. As to which to use, well KN may give more power, but I think a foam is safer. Been on bikes for 40 yrs and never had a failure with a foam and have only used a KN on a couple of 4st and had no failures there either.

I've used K&N filters for the past 20 years. I have one in my 250R with an Outerwears pre-filter (for extra protection w/ a drilled airbox). No troubles. I'm running a UNI foam filter on my boys CRF 100. Whichever you go with, they both need proper maintenance.

I have a K&N Filter on my XR400 and my Ford F150. I have a UNI on my Son's KLX110 and his XR50 we used to own. They all work great. My impressions are the K&N needs more cleaning but provides more flow when clean. The UNI works better in wet and mucky conditions. You won't go wrong with either.

Thanks for all the help i think im gonna go with the UNI because i hate cleaning air filter and i live in western NC and it is wet and mucky here like all the time so

thanks!