Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Screw(NOT typical question about which is best)

Need some help with fuel screws.Im running a MSR and my friend is running a zip-ty fuel screw.Basically the same red anodized aluminum screw.This weekend when reving my bike my fuel screw somehow fell out.Now I know before I was alittle concerned because the fuel screw had gotten some play in it BUT made sure that it was still in the positiion I had it in.But when it fell out there was NO SPRING in there.When I installed the screw the spring was still in the carb.

I just had my bike in for the new valves and talked to the dealer after the screw fell out and he said they didnt touch the carb aside from removeing it from the boot.My friends bike did the exact same thing except his bike is an 04.

Now is there a fuel screw that is less likely to fall out?I dont know if the spring is loseing tension and just letting the screw fall out or what it happeneing here.Would a stronger spring be the answer?If so is there anyone that actually makes one?We also installed the fuel screw with a dab on anti-sieze to make sure that it wouldnt lock up and not be able to adjust it.

Sun line has one with an additional o ring on its shaft that adds friction, and that is supposed to lessen the chance of it moving. Also be careful assuming all aftermarket fuel screws have the same needle taper/tip diameter and will set the same amount of turns out as the one you replace it with. Always re-check your FS settings when replacing the stock FS with an aftermarket one.

Would a stronger spring be the answer?If so is there anyone that actually makes one?
Stretch the old one a little bit, but you don't have one now, do you?
We also installed the fuel screw with a dab on anti-sieze to make sure that it wouldnt lock up and not be able to adjust it.

That might be your problem right there. Vibrations make it back out, and you go add lube! Metal on metal = good friction and fuel screw won't move.

Has anyone tried wrapping a small/tiny rubber band (such as those used for orthodontic/braces) on the lower part of the shaft to keep the fuel screw in place? :excuseme: I'm thinking that this should work fine, I'll have to remember to ask my dentist the next time I see her.

You'll still need the o-ring and spring but for those of us with the Zip-ty fuel screws, we can use a small rubber band to keep the shaft in place.

The stealth racing one sounds like the ticket but I cannot find any contact info for them on the net anywhere.I will check out the Sunline one since I get them super cheap.But I would still like the higher tension spring.

Well I found the correct website.Its stealthracingtech.com and it seems like its the ticket.When comparing their spring to the stock one theirs is much bigger.I am ordering 2 of their Titanium fuel screws and 2 of the rebuild spring kits.

The reason for Ti you ask?Less weight at the end of the screw to vibrate loose.So it has an even better chance at staying in.