Sign in to follow this  

fork rubbers?

What is the purpose of the fork rubber coatins? When looking at 2 used bikes I noticed they both were torn? On ebay and some other bikes I have seen them completely removed? I assume its to protect the fork seal from dirt etc? I noticed on the SM they are down below and on the s they are up high. I know one fork is ride side up and the othe inverted but the fork seal is still in the middle so,,,,.

They're on there to make the bike look super-cool.....NOT.

I took mine off.

As you guessed, They're there to keep crap off of the fork tubes, and from thereby eating up the seals. If you drive only on the street and keep the bike washed, you can live with them off. But if you hit the muddy trail much, keep 'em on

hey harjp how about a pic or 2. When the bike arrives wed Ill busy busy changing alot of stuff, could be just one more thing to add to the list

Several of us use the ktm guards.
Which I have sitting in a box in my garage. I keep going back and forth on whether to put them on.

I just installed the ktm guards - I really enjoyed cutting off the old skool boots! Sometime I'll get around to posting my pics - I figured out a way to install the ktms without modifying the stock S headlight bracket.

I am surprised some after market company hasnt designed a similar guard to the SM where it looks great and protects the for seals and legs on the s model.

I am surprised some after market company hasnt designed a similar guard to the SM where it looks great and protects the for seals and legs on the s model.

If you poke around the forum, you will find that SM has a problem with road debris damaging the polished surface of the fork slider, and then eating the seals. The corrugated rubber boots are ugly as sin, but they work a lot better (and weigh a few grams less) than the "cute" shields on the SM