out of gas

Ok coming home form work on my 05 DRZ400SM and she dies. I knew she was out of gas so I flipped the switch to res and it doesn't start. I turn it to prime and it starts and runs for 10 seconds and dies. Well I am two miles from the nearest gas station so I push her all the way. I get some gas in her and she fires up. Well I am confused to high heavens because where was the reserve? I mean is there a way to run the reserve in with the rest of the gas somehow? Possible I might of been in reserve already. So can you run the whole tank on that and go right through all the gas?

Help me PLEASE.

hepcat

Well sure, if you leave it on reserve you will run a full tank down to dry.

If you leave it in reserve through the whole tank of gas, the yes, you can definately run out of gas. How many miles when you ran out? Do you use your trip meter? I reset mine @ every fillup just in case I forget & leave it in reserve (done it a couple of times!). I know @ or around the 100 mile mark, I should have to switch to reserve.

Another possibility, however unlikely, is that your petcock is clogged on the reserve side. Might be worth a look. Good luck!!!

Well I am two miles from the nearest gas station so I push her all the way.Help me PLEASE.

hepcat

You poor fool :lame:

Sorry I had a good :p:p:lame: at that, done it myself :bonk:

All you had to do is lay the bike down on the left side, to let the trapped fuel get to the tap and you could have ridden it.

And yes if you leave the tap on res, it will empty the tank :p

Neil.

:excuseme::busted::bonk:

My brother the ass used to leave the bikes on reserve and not tell me. Ever had to push a 500+ lb KZ up hill to the gas station? Be thankful the DRZ is so light! Oh ya he couldn't sit right till my foot was removed from his ass. Though I think that was the last time he did it....

You could try an aftermarket tank. With the Clarke you always know how much fuel you have. Then it really is your fault...... :excuseme:

This may sound silly but look at the petcock in the light to find the arrow. When I first got my bike I assumed the lever indicated the selected position (reserve or run) of the valve like my other bikes.

You could try an aftermarket tank. With the Clarke you always know how much fuel you have. Then it really is your fault...... :excuseme:

My Clarke has set me free!! I went 100 miles on fire roads and trails today and never once had to add miles up in my head to see if I could make it back to a gas station. I did the same thing yesterday. I love it!

I Bought the bike from the dealer only three weeks ago they put on hot cams the dynojet stage 1 jet kit as welll as the Yoshimura RS-3 complete exhaust. So I had a thought they could of screwed something up or it was already on res. The tank only took 2.4 gallons to fill up to the rim and later I fould out it was leaking somehwere from underneigh. :bonk: Well we live and we hopefully learn but it was fun coasting down some hills on the sidewalk without my helmet waiting for a cop to pull me over. :excuseme:

Thanks for the responses much appriciated.

hepcat

I'm just irritated that both my bikes are different. On the DRZ you turn the petcock backwards for reserve and on my streetbike you flip it forward for reserve. The other thing is that it requires a lot more effort to turn, add to that, that with a single carb it gives you very little lead time that you are running dry. Nothing worse than sitting at a redlight and having your engine die as you take off. Anymore I flip to reserve if I'm in a city and know I'll be getting gas soon.

About how many miles can an "E" go on reserve?

About how many miles can an "E" go on reserve?

i can't say how many miles the reserve is good for as it depends on how many mpg you're getting.

i do know the total fuel capacity of a stock e model tank is 2.6 gallons, and has 0.6 gallon reserve.

you should be good for 25 miles i would think.

Well I have run out twice, First time I had it on prime. I was sure to tell my friend who advisd me that was not a good idea. Runs the tank completely dry.

Ran out again and I primed it than ran it on reserve. Kinda tough getting it started, worried me I'd be calling the wife again.

120 to empty on prime, 100 to empty on ON, don't know how far reserve will get you.

120 to empty on prime, 100 to empty on ON, don't know how far reserve will get you.

That would be 20 miles on reserve then :ride::ride:

Neil. :ride::banana::p

I sure do love my Yellow Clarke tank - lots of range and I always know what my fuel status is.

For the money, it's one of the best things you can do to your DRZ.

BJ

That would be 20 miles on reserve then :ride::ride:

Neil. :ride::banana::p

After running out and having to call the wife in the middle of the night, I'm not going to ASSUME anything.

If you notice you are running out of gas (e.g., sputtering, bucking) before the engine dies, you only need to turn the switch to Reserve and it will keep running. If the engine does die then stop the bike safely and turn the switch to Prime for a few seconds (to refill the carb bowl by gravity), then turn it to Reserve and restart. Do NOT leave it on Prime (or the engine will flood and die again). Follow this procedure and it will work as advertised (it has for me). And you won't have to call for help if you can find a gas station within the next 25+ miles (the reserve)!

P.S. I believe California bikes have slightly less reserve (0.4 vs 0.6). You don't want to fill a CA tank to the brim or the gas can overflow into the vent and/or foul the smog cannister (causing starting problems). (This happens sometimes when you drop the bike--even if you don't overfill the tank--ugh!)

I run in "run" and around 80 miles I KNOW it's gunna start sputtering. When it does, I can flip to reserve on the fly and head to the nearest gas station. I consider reserve OUT OF GAS! This has not left me stranded and pushing as of yet. :ride:

After running out and having to call the wife in the middle of the night, I'm not going to ASSUME anything.

I get your point, but it is not an assumption, just simple maths.

How did the wife feel about having to rescue you, can't have been to bad, she came and got you :ride::ride:

I trust reserve on my S for 15 miles, but no more.

And remember, laying the bike down on it's left side will get the rest of the fuel to the tap, in my case that gave me another 6 miles without problems.

Enough to get to the fuel station.

Neil.

:ride::banana::p

05 DRZ 400SM 100mi. on main, 134.5 mi. and your pushing. :ride: