Sign in to follow this  

Changing tires...?

Alright well Im about too buy a new set of tires for my 05 kx250f, Ive never changed tires on a bike before. Just wondering if you guys could give me some tips that might help me out. I don't want to take it too a shop and pay them, I kinda like working on my bike myself.

Thanks for the help!!!

:excuseme:

its just like changing a pedal bike tire just takes alot of muscle.ur gona need abt 3 tire irons or crowbars and a can of wd-40 and prob a friend. first losen the rim lock and pop one side of the tire over with one of the irons and put another iron in and keep working it around intill u have it off use the wd-40 to help the tire slide off easier, same thing with the other side , when ur putting it back on do the same just be very carefull not to slice the tube , if u use crow bars u might wana try putting tape on them to help from poping the tube

Thanks for the quick reply, Would a 2-Piece 9" Tire Lever kit be alright?

i use 2 6' tire levers, a rubber mallet and a valve key..

1) Remove the valve so the tube had absolutly no air in it, then put the rim on the ground sprocket side down (this is very inportant or u will bend the disc) and stand on the tire to pop it off the rim lock, walk all the way around so the tire sits int he grove of the rim not the edge.

2) start oppisite the rim lock and use the lever to pull the first bit of tire over the rim, then go for the second one, and keep doin that until u have the tire off the first part of the rim. NOTE: try and take small bites so u dont damdge the rim, or yourself...

3) Remove the tube and rimlock from the inside of the tire.

4) Now simply pull the tire away from the rim, you may need to use a lever to get it over the edge then just push it off. If u need to use the rubber mallot to help bash it off or onto the rim.

Do the oppisite to get it back on.. It has takern me a fair few go's to get it done quickly but you will get it soon enough.

My first time took 1 1/2hours lol. takes me 15min max now..

Have fun :excuseme:

3 9 inch tire irons, some dishwahing soap and i hope your not too religious because you will come up with some new curse words changing the rear by yourself. the fronts a piece of cake. get a friend to help with the rear if youve never done it before

If you don't have any levers, you can always just use some large, flat-head screwdrivers. Just be careful not to pinch the tube. That's what I have always used.

Yeh i tried soapy water when i dirst started doing it, helps alot, but got lazy now lol.

my 6 inch levers are an arse if u need goor leverage..

Please reframe from using screw drivers though! damages the rim, and pinches tubes extremely easy..

my simple advice, pay the shop, its a real bummer changing tires, and for 7 bucks you cant go wrong, when i buy tires the shop does it for free anyways...

what is the screw that comes thought your rim for? not the valves screw off the inertube the other screw thats just abit round from it. what does it do and if you are chagin the inertube in the wheel do you have to losen the screw first? thanx

Buy the longest tire irons you can, shorter irons make it much harder to do!

Or just pay someone to do it the first time and watch them, its easy but there are tricks that make it much easier that you just have to see to understand.

That little thing next to the valve is called a rim lock.. it stops the tire from spinning on the rim under pressure.

U MUST loosen that off before trying to remove the tire.. then when u have the first side off u need to take it out of the rim before attempting to totally remove the tire.

Re: Changing tires...?

what is the screw that comes thought your rim for? not the valves screw off the inertube the other screw thats just abit round from it. what does it do and if you are chagin the inertube in the wheel do you have to losen the screw first? thanx

thats the rim lock it keeps your tire from spining and yea u have to losen it to get the tire off

Alright well I changed the tire, But now the "rim lock" seems to be making my tire lumpyon one part. What can I do to fix that???

:ride::ride:

First off, let the air back out and loosen the rim lock. Un-seat the bead and push the rim lock up out of the way ( with out completely removing the nut). Now reinstall the bead, inflate the tube and tighten the rim lock down once everyhting looks right.

Second, go find a sprocket bolt to replace the missing one before you find out the hard way how much a new rear hub is.

Oh, and someone stole your nobbies....

I'm new to all of this. When you say "un-seat" Do you mean take the tire completely off the rim?

First off, let the air back out and loosen the rim lock. Un-seat the bead and push the rim lock up out of the way ( with out completely removing the nut). Now reinstall the bead, inflate the tube and tighten the rim lock down once everyhting looks right.

Second, go find a sprocket bolt to replace the missing one before you find out the hard way how much a new rear hub is.

Oh, and someone stole your nobbies....

No. Just let out the air and pop the tire's bead back into the center of the rim all the way around.