Sign in to follow this  

'05 ignition on an '04

Anyone ever put an '05 ignition on an '04. I had heard that some of the power gains year to year were attributed to new mapping.

Thanks,

MOTO96s :excuseme:

I put a 2005 CRF250R CDI on my 2005 CRF450R and it definitely picked up a little bit everywhere. It's nothing that is going to blow you away, but it helps. I picked up the CDI off of ebay for $30.

Hey Moto- I put an 05 my ignition box on my 04 and it made a difference. I thought it gave my bike a lot more overrev.

Does anyone know how far back the CDI's are interchangable? I mean will a 05 or 04 swap onto a 03 bike?

Thanks !

Does anyone know how far back the CDI's are interchangable? I mean will a 05 or 04 swap onto a 03 bike?

Thanks !

04-06 will swap out easily, 02-03 will require the 04-06 harness.

04-06 will swap out easily, 02-03 will require the 04-06 harness.

Thanks RB,

Is the harness and ignition swap onto a 03 a plug and play project or will it require cutting and splicing to mate the 04-06 harness to the 06?

Thanks again

Thanks RB,

Is the harness and ignition swap onto a 03 a plug and play project or will it require cutting and splicing to mate the 04-06 harness to the 06?

Thanks again

I haven't changed one over myself, but from what I understand it all plugs in, the only hard part is pulling the ignition cover, but don't quote me on that.

RB shove that 450 CDI in your gear bag. Next time we hook up I wanna try it.

ben

RB shove that 450 CDI in your gear bag. Next time we hook up I wanna try it.

ben

It is always in there. Whenever you want dude. :ride:

Once again to install the 04 to 06 black box on an 02/03 you need the 04 wire harness and you have to change 2 of the connectors on either the harness where it plugs into the stator wireing the later harness have different plugs at the stator connectors that are not suited to the early machines.cheers

Is there any difference between the 05 and 06 ???

I want to get one of these for my 04 :ride:

Also would an aftermarket (like Big Gun)one be any better than oem ?

Thanks

JamesDub

Is there any difference between the 05 and 06 ???

I want to get one of these for my 04 :ride:

Also would an aftermarket (like Big Gun)one be any better than oem ?

Thanks

JamesDub

Yes there is a slight difference between 04/05 and 06 stock black boxes,with each seceding year the machine has more of a willingness to pull a higher gear sooner,and the throttle response is snappier.I don't really care for aftermarket black boxes,I have tested the Vortex,JD.big gun and a couple of no names brands and I don't like them as well as the OEM ones.Many of them made the machines much harder to start or had issues with response some felt flat and some caused pinging.Hope this helps cheers

Get an 06 CRF250R box. It's more aggressive then the 450.

I have nothing too say but man red your on here more then me.. :ride:

Get an 06 CRF250R box. It's more aggressive then the 450.

Thanks Red

I had read a post about that few weeks back but forgot . And since this thread hadn't mentioned it I :ride: . I've got a bad memory .

06 CRF250R box it is :ride: .

Thanks Red

I had read a post about that few weeks back but forgot . And since this thread hadn't mentioned it I :ride: . I've got a bad memory .

06 CRF250R box it is :ride: .

Word tp my Mutha, Fidddy fawkin cent!

The difference between the 02/03 CDI and the o4 and CDI is that the older CDI has one modular connector and the newer CDI has two modular connectors on the end of the CDI itself. So to swap the new CDIs onto older engines, you need the wire harness from the newer model.

Then for connecting to the stator/ignition trigger, you need to make up two short connector wires with all male push on connectors. This adapts the old stator cable to the newer harness. The old connection was all females on the stator and all males on the harness. The newer harness has two females in place of males. The color code still works, so, you can either make a permanent change on the connectors on one side or the other, or do what I suggest, which is the short jumpers with males on both ends.