Setting off stoplights

How about a midget?They don't add much weight and you can have them run to the corner and hit the button?It work's for me...ain't that right honey?

I've done this before, had my wife go push the crosswalk button. I've also put the bike in neutral ran over and pushed the button myself also. I also told her that if you make the bike bounce while your stopped the lights will change faster. ?

Having been a cop for 10 years I wanted to give a different perspective from the motorcop's view. No way I would write that in a million years. It would be just as illegal to exit the lane and go straight as running the light. You really have no choice so I can't imagine a judge anywhere that wouldn't let you go if some goofy cop wrote you for it.

I hate to say it but most traffic cops hang on just a little too tight.

Me? I don't even wait. I just blow & go after checking for the all clear. Sometimes before the oncoming traffic gets the green because I know it didn't register. BAM! It's all in the timing...

Traffic lights & (any) light bikes do not mix, unless there's a metal box that just happens to come up behind you to trip it for you.

You'll end up waiting & wasting your time for it to magically to happen, or end up doing something stupid like leaving your bike in the lane of traffic to figure out how to trip it manually & then end up "J" walking and/or getting run over in the process...

"May God have mercy on our souls...Proceed!"

Having been a cop for 10 years I wanted to give a different perspective from the motorcop's view. No way I would write that in a million years. It would be just as illegal to exit the lane and go straight as running the light. You really have no choice so I can't imagine a judge anywhere that wouldn't let you go if some goofy cop wrote you for it.

I hate to say it but most traffic cops hang on just a little too tight.

I'm confused,are you talking about running a red light after you waited and it won't change?

ever notice you never see any cops til you try to get away with something , and bammmmmmmm , theres 2 of them sitting there watching you ?

I'm that guy who sits and waits no matter who's honking behind me now. ?

works out well also , no tickets in last 12 years.

Someone here mentioned that if you swing the kickstand down and back up it will make the light change,...Well I tried it 3 times at 3 different times of the day at our only stop light, and IT WORKED!!!!!! 3 out of 3 not bad. I'll keep trying that. Or I guess you could buy a pair of steeled boots right? LOL

there is a product on the market that uses a stobe light similar to what you see on mostly fire trucks it uses high speed flashes of light to trigger the green light so they can get thru city traffic i saw it advertised in either cycleworld ,cyclenews or the ama magazine and i can't remember the name of it but i know it's outthere.

there is a product on the market that uses a stobe light similar to what you see on mostly fire trucks it uses high speed flashes of light to trigger the green light so they can get thru city traffic i saw it advertised in either cycleworld ,cyclenews or the ama magazine and i can't remember the name of it but i know it's outthere.

You will get in even more trouble using that then you would running the red light.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this a few other threads on the subject I found (on the intersections I've tested) that if I drive right on the groove it detects

my bike (01 DRZ400s) everytime.

Main problem is some of the grooves (on left turns) are cut too close to opposing lanes and you run the risk of a cage swinging wide and clipping you...

If you find one that frequently fails to trigger, even though you ride as suggested, call the public works department and report the problem. They can tweak the sensor's sensitivity (if they can get around to it).
I repair Traffic Signals, setting at light waiting for Green for long time is caused

be detection setup (via loops in street) the detector in cabinet is setup so the loop will not pick up traffic in the next lane..Bikes sometimes just can not complete the link to trigger the Call to cycle the signal. Newer signals with video detection work much better (camera on mask arm) you may contact your police dept or Traffic Control office they might be able to adjust the detector (increase the sensitivity on the detector cards.

I also work for public works............................this is all good advice.

But sometimes adjusting just won't work, I have one on my commute, all work for me but one, I have ran it........................ :flip LEO but I also can ride by the button on the pole and hit it on the fly ?

And yes, sometimes the ol'kickstand trick does work.

• 2 weeks later...
Tell me, what would the mounties do? Probably give a severe tongue lashing, right? Do they even carry guns?!

I was talking about what I would do. If you didn't get that, go back and read my post "slow, real slowwwwwww so it sinks in." Read the part again where I said that you CAN be cited for it (in california). I didn't say I WOULD CITE ALL THE TIME. I routinely do (cite that is) given the BUSY and DANGEROUS intersections we have here.

Maybe you, sir, should narrow the parameters a little bit on our scenario. Let me help you out:

It's 3am. No traffic in all 4 (or 5, or 6) directions. You've sat through 2 cycles of the lights. Would I go through it? Probably. Although, I have been on VERY small bikes and still been picked up by the sensor. (angle the bike from right to left or vice versa in the lane of travel. More chance of crossing the sensor wire loop.)

Hope that helps. I can't speak for what the kanuks do up north. Just don't cross the border and I guess you'll be fine. ?

Hey there California copsicle, I sure had a tough time deciding which of your ignorant posts I would quote!

Personally, I find your arrogance another perfect example for explaining the ongoing hatred toward Californian cops, or any cop. Does your 'expense paid ride' include doing any real work for your community? Do you spend your '40+ hours' out searching for us law breakers that proceed through a red light that we've treated like a four way stop and proceeded when safe! Yes we can think for ourselves! Wow, HUH! (or should I say 'eh!')

Here is what really got me going! ?

Funny that, even the cops, in the US have to bring gun talk into a conversation. Yes the cops in Canada carry guns, dick, but ours lives do not revolve around guns here, and that is another example for you, put down your gun and treat people with respect and receive respect back! Consider ratios of people between here and the US, and understand gun crime is minuscule here compared to there. A tongue lashing is the MOST anyone should receive for safely proceeding through a red stop light, but leave it to super Californian copsicle nscmj3 to bring the word gun into the picture. Do you pull out your gun when you've pulled over a dual sporter for proceeding through a red light that would not trigger? Probably, I'd be scared too, since you've managed to piss off every one with your ignorant, arrogant attitude! Go super cop, go! :lame:

I hope you take you own advice, and don't cross the border.

IMO- Lights everywhere don't get tripped by our bikes! Proceed when safe, and when super copsicle nscmj3 is not around! :bonk:

Are these personal attacks USEFUL, discussing motorcycles triggering traffic light sensors?

Just askin'.

Fact of life: Diffeent sensor schemes and sensitivities exist in different regions; different vehicle codes and regulations abound also; and--officer discretion varies with each officer, his perception, and local doctrine and practice.

Can't see where personal attacks and judgmental, generalized condemnations influence any of the above, or address any issues relevant to the subject, but--I'm willing to listen and to learn.

And, before the scream of, "VIGILANTE MODERATOR!" is raised; that's not the case. Just asking, respectfully, how personal attacks advance this thread.

I just lay my bike on the ground untill the light changes. I did that yesterday and I got pulled over by the sheriff. He thought I was drunk. I explained what was going on and he told me to run the light next time.